Micrsoft SQL

Started by MunchaenUSF, November 18, 2004, 09:52:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MunchaenUSF

Does anyone know if Simplemachines will work with MS SQL 2000, instead of mysql?

Ben_S

Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

[Unknown]

It's possible it may in the future, but currently some of the limitations of Microsoft's SQL server make this prospect less interesting considering the price of MySQL.

Specifically, the lack of LIMIT (TOP is like it, but not the same, and causes increased memory usage and load), relative weaknesses in grouping, and cost of development.  I personally work every day with a SQL server, and although it has some nice things... it also severly lacks other very nice things.  For example, VIEWs would be nice... but, if we supported both MySQL and Microsoft SQL... we couldn't use them (well, maybe a few times, but... not to great benefit) anyway.

PostgreSQL is the other major database type it would be nice to support... but, I'm afraid there are a few problems with that (although, admittedly, I haven't worked with it enough to know if there are ways to work through those issues.)

So... I wouldn't hold my breath, but it may happen some day.

Also, it's a pet peeve... but... Simple Machines (not Simplemachines) is an organization, SMF (Simple Machines Forum if you must spell it out) is the software.... and "Simplemachines"... well, Google speaks of levers and such.

-[Unknown]

NoRad

I used to always try to see if applications that run on mySQL would work on MSSQL since I was already running MSSQL for other clients. Once I realized how awesome mySQL was and how many great open source packages utilized it, I found myself rather quickly forgetting about MSSQL. It has sat unused on my main web server for over 6 months.

Advertisement: