THANKS KAT!!! FOR FIXING MY FORUM!

Started by nights1, October 26, 2007, 02:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nights1

UPDATED:  :-* Thank you Kat! for fixing my forum... it is great now...

Please...someone ... help!!!

My details:
I am using SMF version:  1.1.4 - ( I am using the "default core" theme)
Here is the link to my forum: http://www.nightskytarotforums.com/ [nofollow]
Error logs that might pertain to the problem (I put at "bottom" of this post)

Here is what started the problem:

I installed a package today called:
Users_Online_Today_1.4.0.zip (3KB] [15638]
Created By: Carceri 
First Created: November 05, 2005, 07:13:06 AM
Last Modified: October 24, 2007, 05:23:23 AM
Latest Version: 1.4.0
Compatible With: 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.1.4

I THEN "UNINSTALLED" IT AND EVEN DELETED IT!

...and now I am seeing the following on ALL PAGES!!! - Can someone help me remove the following?:

Here is the "awful" code I now see on the top of every page:

$txt['uot_users_online_today']='Users Logged In Today';$txt['uot_yesterday']='Yesterday at ';$txt['uot_total']='Total';$txt['uot_visible']='Visible';$txt['uot_hidden']='Hidden';

NOTE...I WANT TO REMOVE THIS FROM ALL MY FORUM PAGES...

I feel like such a boob now!!!  :P

And I will be forever grateful   :-* if one of you can help me get rid of this!!!
I love the SMF software and love everything else about it!!!

Hoping someone can help me soon...
Warm Regards,
Lynnette Monrean

Night09

I had this with a mod as well. Go to the forum template for whatever theme you tried it on and search for that code at the top then remove it.(edit it out)

It appears on top of all pages you open until you delete it from the main template php file.

Make sure you dont delete any brackets ect not part of that code.Best way is to cut it  save then refresh forum to see.If its wrong undo it and save then retry.

Hope this gives you some idea. ;)

kat

Safer still, navigate to your "Packages" directory. In there, you'll find another directory called "Backups". In there, you'll find an archive called "2007-01-26_before_Users_Online_Today_1.tar.gz", although the date will be different, obviously.

Download that to your hard disk and unarchive it. You can, then, reupload all those files to where they were, originally.

RustyBarnacle

I also seen this when the closing >? in modifications.english.php was in the wrong spot

edit that file and make sure that it isnt at the end of a line several lines from the bottom.  This needs to be on its own line at the very end of the file.

kat

nights1

Hi! Guys!

Thanks for your help  :-*

...however, when opening (in notepad) the package backup file (with extention of .gz) I am only seeing jibberish!

Question:
Can I rename the extention? to say php?   :o

I know I don't know what I am talking about!  ;D

The only other editor I have is Frontpage 2000.

Any other ideas...or perhaps an editor with a low learning curve ... lol

nights1

kat

That's because it's an archive. There's an archive inside the archive, too. You need to dearchive the .gz archive and, then, dearchive the .tar archive, too.

I use "Total Commander" to do that. I expect Winzip'll do it, though, too.

nights1

UPDATING:  Now I understand "archive" ... a zipped file!!!
Expanding my mind today...thanks!

So I can use any unzipping software... but I don't see one on my computer... usually I can just
right click on the zip file and choose "extract files" from the little pop up menu.
But when I try it on this file, there is no "extract" selection.

So I need to find an unzipping software first...

Question, when I finally do get this .tar.gz file open (unarchived)... what do I need to do to the
file? And do I need to reload it by ftp back into my package directory? And do I need to have the same file extension?  .tar.gz ?

Sorry, I am VERY new to SMF ... but loving it!

nights1
p.s. thanks for being there for me!

Sorry, Kat... don't mean to be a dumb blonde...

but...can you tell me exactly "how to" "dearchive" this file?
And with which editing software?

Hope I don't fall into your "...natural stupidity..." category!!!  :D
nights1

kat

's OK. We were all noobs, once.

Backups are archived. Like "Zip" is an archive. First, all the files are archived into a TAR archive, which is very like zip one. GZ is similar, but it only archives ONE file with very good compression. So, it gets archived into a TAR archive, then that TAR archive if compressed and archived into a GZ one, to make it smaller and quicker to download.

Dearchive (Unzip) the GZ archive and you'll gat a TAR archive. Unarchive (Unzip) that and you'll have all the files that are in it. You can find the file that you need to edit, there.

Does that make sense?

However... that having been said, all you need to do is use your ftp client to navigate to "modifications.english.php", which is in the theme directory, within "Default" and "languages" and download that, to do what you're after doing.

REMEMBER TO KEEP A BACKUP OF THE FILE. Just in case...

babjusi

@Lynnette , open the modifications.english php file and make sure that everything is inside between the <?php......?> codes

kat

If you can't manage, gimme a shout in PM, with your ftp login details and I'll sort it for you, if you like.

Best way to learn, though, is to do things yourself. As long as you keep backups of whatever you alter, you should be OK.

For example, if I edit, say, an index.template.php, I always download the file, then rename it, on the server, to index.templet.php0.

That way, if I screw something, I can simply delete the file and rename the backup from index.template0 back to index.template.

(I picked index.template, because they're the files that seem to need editing the most, when you add mods.)

RustyBarnacle

If your host gave you access to cpanel you can use the file manager to find a file and edit it live on the server.

Be sure to make backups as already said though.

nights1

:) Hi! Everybody!

I tried the file manager (didn't let me edit)... I tried uploading an edited file to my modifications.english.php file...
It didn't work - it made my whole forum into visual code and no forum! So I copied a "backup" copy of
my modifications.english.php file by ftp. It put my forum back into forum mode...

...but now the top UNWANTED code is doubled now I think...  :P

So I have pm'd Kat for the help he said he would do...
hope he can figure it out  before I totally scr_w up the whole thing!  :o

Thanks everyone for helping...but I can't get it to work as you all say.

Love  :-* you all though!
Thanks! and I will post here if it gets fixed! (I hope it does)
Lynnette
nights1

nights1

Hi! Kat!  :)

I sent you two pm's... did you get them yet?  ???

Warm Regards,
nights1  :-*
Lynnette

babjusi

I think Kat has called it a night, Lynnette. If you look at his/her profile this is what it says: Last Active:     Today at 06:29:26 PM

So I guess you will have to wait until tomorrow

nights1

:) Hi! babjusi ...

I think you are right...

I am in Northern Calif., USA so it is about 11:46 pm here right now...not sure where Kat is.

Will check in again tomorrow to see if Kat got my pms...

All of you have been such sweethearts helping me with this problem that "I" created by installing
that "users online" mod...

I have noticed that quite a few of the mods that say they are compatible with 1.1.4 also left
that code on the top of my pages, but each time I was able to uninstall the mod and the
unwanted top code went away. But ... :P this time it stayed... I just know there is a way to get it
off. Think I need to learn how to use an editor (not sure which editor?) Went online the other day,
and saw a wysiwyg php editor for over $700 !!! Holy cow!

Anyway, thanks again...  :)
nights1

babjusi

Look Lynnette. You can get rid off that thing very easy yourself. Just follow these simple steps and you should be all set. It ain''t that hard as it looks

1. Log in to your ftp client and navigate to /themes/default/languages/. Here find the file called ''modifications.english.php'' and upload it to your pc. Then open it with a php editor program like notepad++ (google it). Then make sure that all the text in that file is inside the php tags :<?php......?>Save the changes and upload the file back to its place overwriting the old one. That was it, you see that it wasn''t that hard ;)

nights1

:) Hi! babjusi!

Yes, I am trying to learn. I did just downloaded notepad ++ the 4.5 version that just came out.

I think my problem is, that I previously, yesterday, already edited my modifications.english.php
template using Frontpage 2000 and it did not work.

So now, my default file is wrong and I don't have a copy, since what I edited was my backup
copy that I just used to overwrite my original default modifications.english.php file with

Hopefully, I can get it to work again... or I will just crash the whole forum project as it is right now,
uninstall smf and then do a reinstall and start all over from scratch again!  :P

What I need right now, is a NEW COPY of the DEFAULT modifications.english.php template.
Can you direct me to where on this SMF site that I can download a fresh copy?

Thanks... :-*
nights1

kat

Your problem's sorted and I've left messages on your forum, to that effect, telling you what was wrong.

The ?> to show the end of the file was quite a few lines above that, for some reason. Probably the mod screwed it, as RustyBarnacle said.

nights1

Quote from: Kat on October 27, 2007, 02:31:34 PM
Your problem's sorted and I've left messages on your forum, to that effect, telling you what was wrong.
The ?> to show the end of the file was quite a few lines above that, for some reason. Probably the mod screwed it, as RustyBarnacle said.
YES!!! YES!!! THANK YOU!  :-* :-*  :-* KAT!!! and EVERYONE ELSE for helping me sort this mess out!!!

I got it now! YEAH... ;D

Here is what I did:

1. I went to "packages" directory, "backups" and found the backup for just before the "bad, bad, bad" mod!!!
2. Then I downloaded a copy of this backup to my hard drive using my hosts FTP progam.
3. Then I located the backup file on my hard drive.
4. I right clicked on the file and from the little pop up menu, I chose: "extract with 7-Zip" - I previously downloaded for free.
5. I kept extracting all the folders, until I got the "default" folder extracted.
6. Since this was the folder I had and used JUST BEFORE installing that "bad boy mod!"...I decided to just UPLOAD
it over the top of my current messed up default folder. - that way I wouldn't loose all my work up until the point of JUST BEFORE the bad mod installation.
7. So I uploaded it over my current default folder using my hosts FTP program...
...and YES YES YES YES YES...  success!!! Unwanted top code on all pages...GONE!!!
pLUS this fix also cleared up my "fetching preview" issue that I just noticed I had...all gone too!!!
I am a really HAPPY CAMPER TODAY!!! Thanks Kat!!!

THANK ALL OF YOU, AND ESPECIALLY "KAT" my hero!!! for all of your information and guidance.

I am mostly thanking you for allowing me a peek inside of the SMF engine!!! Amazing work!!!
...and I know I will be back here again in the future... I would love to help others also,
but still tooooo new to do that!
Sending all of you  :-* :-* :-* LOVE AND HUGGIES!!!  YOU GUYS ROCK!!! AND YOU'RE AWSOME!!!

Thank you...
nights1
Lynnette

Advertisement: