News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Advertising Your Board's RSS Feed...

Started by Oldiesmann, November 22, 2004, 11:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willo

The board advertising is working great with Firefox and Google.  Thank you everyone for posting this. 

I'm a little confused as to how the feeds are seen visually on the board.  I've played with settings (creating a link when RSS is on) in my index file,  but I believe my current theme does not have this built in.  I was able to manually add an RSS icon and link for the global, users, new, etc.  I'm wondering how difficult it would be to add icons for XML and RSS to each of the Boards and child boards automatically.   I would like to have two or three feed icons for each board and possibly the child boards if the site becomes more popular.  Has anyone done something like this?  Do you have an example of a site?  Any input or information is appreciated.

Willo

culpeper

In Firefox, a little orange icon in the lower right corner if they feed is working correctly.

Vramin

While this is all fine and good (Firefox sees my feed, etc.), I think by advertising the feed, they're talking about putting one of those little orange XML graphics on the page and letting people click it to see the feed, or drag it into their reader. I was able to do this with my phpBB board, but the browser doesn't know how to open the link rendered by the alternate link in the SMF board output. I haven't dug into the source, but I'm guessing it isn't rendering the doc type correctly. I'm trying to avoid hacking up the source, but is there something else I'm missing?

I'm using 1.1 RC1. The setting for enabling RSS is under the News and Newsletters option now, on by default. Again, it works fine with browsers that can see that alternate link, but to get one to show up somewhere else is what I'm interested in.

culpeper

Quote from: culpeper on June 26, 2005, 03:26:50 PM

Actually, I don't think this is the correct forum to be posting questions.  Post this problem on the english support forum and the oldies will start responding.

Vramin

The right answer here is to use mod_rewrite to make it look like a real XML file on the server side while running your script to get the results. Put this in your .htaccess file:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /yoursmfdir
RewriteRule ^rss.xml index.php?type=rss;action=.xml

Now you can make an image with an href that gets the feed that people can just click on or drag into their reader to read like this (uber-long conditional deleted):

http://www.mmo-town.com/rss.xml [nofollow]

Also, I noticed that the output RSS includes the poster's actual email address. The code is checking to see if some flag is set, but I don't know if it's checking it correctly. I fixed it by modifying line 822 of Sources/News.php:

'author' => $row['posterName'],

I noticed that the atom feed, a few lines below, was using this value - why they're different I'm not sure. I just didn't like that I was unknowingly advertising my user's email addresses.

carlatf

HI,
I'd like to place an icon with a link inside SMF to show that the RSS feed of the current board is available.
I'm going to do it with:
   if (!empty($modSettings['xmlnews_enable']))
      echo '
   <a href="', $scripturl, '?type=rss;action=.xml" type="application/rss+xml" title="', $context['forum_name'], ' - RSS"/>RSS  current board name</a>';

I'd like to put the current board name, can anyone tell me the code? current_board_name?

peace,
Carla

algurgazan

im use the rss feed in combination with firefox, and it works like a charm, but it slightly annoys me that my time being online on my forum skyrockets because firefox refreshes the feed every ten minutes. id like to exclude the rss feed checking from the thing that counts my online time but im a bit stuck cause i can't really find where this happens.. any help here?

RoarinRow

Is there a down side to using this feed?  Hacking attempts, member privacy, etc.? 

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

Stuart

Quote from: [Unknown] on December 13, 2004, 07:07:11 AM
It's just 5.  The 0 is the page number.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=72;type=rss;action=.xml

Works here?

-[Unknown]

That's kinda odd as it's working for only a couple of my boards. For example it works fine with board 1 and 2 but it's not working at all with board 27  :-\

Anyone any suggestions?

tomis

I must be totally blind.  I can't find where to activate RSS feeds withing the Admin panel.  I'm running v. 1.1 RC2 (The latest version, downloaded on May 2nd).  And I looked at Features & Options like the OP said, but I can't find anything there for RSS/XML feeds. Can anyone help me?
~

Miyagi

Hi Tomis,

I believe RSS is fully functioning by default in 1.1 RC2.. No need to activate anything :)
FordXR5Turbo.com - Dedicated to the Ford Focus & Mondeo XR5 Turbo in Australia
FordXR4.com - Dedicated to the Ford Fiesta XR4 in Australia

PrizeLive.com

Quote from: Miyagi on June 30, 2006, 09:43:01 AM
Hi Tomis,

I believe RSS is fully functioning by default in 1.1 RC2.. No need to activate anything :)

How do you access it?
Get Paid Instantly via PayPal (or other options) at PrizeLive.com!

spiros

Actually i have been wondering the same thing for a long time now... as I said elsewhere activating a feed should also display a feed icon providing different feeds for each forum/category/board / topic.

What have you managed to do so far?

Quote from: carlatf on January 20, 2006, 01:13:33 PM
HI,
I'd like to place an icon with a link inside SMF to show that the RSS feed of the current board is available.
I'm going to do it with:
   if (!empty($modSettings['xmlnews_enable']))
      echo '
   <a href="', $scripturl, '?type=rss;action=.xml" type="application/rss+xml" title="', $context['forum_name'], ' - RSS"/>RSS  current board name</a>';

I'd like to put the current board name, can anyone tell me the code? current_board_name?

peace,
Carla

dvk01

Quote from: Miyagi on June 30, 2006, 09:43:01 AM
Hi Tomis,

admin CP / news & newsletters /settings

Chad

can we use categories (and multiple categories) for our rss feed?  like:
category=1,7,2;type=rss;action=.xml

davomex

helo oldiesman, am a complete novice to the stuff of smf but i have a forum installed already using fantastico, but i need to customise it to my taste but am lost in the whole process. i have a minimal knowlege of HTLM just tell me what to do step by step and i will be able to go trough it. i have read again and again the online manual and i dont seem to coordinate the stuff there so what do i do,

emomoney

Quote from: Oldiesmann on November 22, 2004, 04:56:49 PM
Works fine in Firefox. It's displaying links to the 6 most recent posts. I don't know how Yahoo handles this though.
I've yet to get my feeds to display in Firefox.  The show display just fine in Fox News.  I've tried all sorts of combinations. 
index.php?type=rss2;action=.xml
index.php?type=rss;action=.xml
index.php?;action=.xmltype=rss2
index.php?;action=.xmltype=rss
I've used the sa=recent, limit=x,  still nothing.
Any suggestions?

F4r4Zm0In

Just for those who don't know about it:

In SMF   version 2.0 Post Beta 4 this Mod/Trick comes built in

It means you don't have to install any mods or do any edits

Just point your browser @ http://security.iblogger.org/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;limit=20

Replace http://security.iblogger.org/ with your sites name

Regards
---------------------
Not Just Another Forum
---------------------

codwarrior

I am confused on the URL of the rss feed for the news. I know the URL of the recent posts feed. For my forum it is hxxp:www.warriorlocomotive.com/forum/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml [nonactive]

agbattery

OEM hxxp:www.accessorygenie.com/batteries-c-1.html [nonactive], hxxp:www.accessorygenie.com/battery-chargers-c-2.html [nonactive], hxxp:www.accessorygenie.com/ac-adapters-c-3.html [nonactive], hxxp:www.accessorygenie.com/memory-cards-c-4.html [nonactive], hxxp:www.accessorygenie.com/gps-c-102.html [nonactive], hxxp:www.accessorygenie.com/radar-detectors-c-103.html [nonactive], and other hxxp:www.accessorygenie.com [nonactive]

Advertisement: