News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Anti-Bot: Are You Human/Bot?

Started by vbgamer45, October 31, 2007, 04:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlbenson

Based on some reports of bots getting passed this mod, I decided it was time to shake it up a little.

Ultimately I would recommend going for one of my other anti bot mods if you can which are less easy for bots than this.

1.3 - 24th March 2008
- First bots believed to be getting pass this mod
o Randomly generated field name now being used
o Changed it up a bit
o Changed/reworded language strings

scottws

Does this mod support upgrade?  Or is it an uninstall/install situation?  Thanks in advance?

karlbenson

Marcus Forsberg

Swedish translation

$txt['are_you_human'] = 'Är du en människa?';
$txt['are_you_human_desc'] = 'Ännu ett anti-bot test';
$txt['are_you_human_no'] = 'Nej';
$txt['are_you_human_yes'] = 'Ja';
$txt['are_you_human_unsure'] = 'Osäker';
$txt['are_you_bot_unsure'] = 'Var snäll och bekräfta att du är en människa för att fortsätta med registreringen';
$txt['are_you_bot_yes'] = 'Bots får inte registrera sig. Var snäll och bekräfta att du är männsklig för att fortsätta med registreringen';

FragaCampos

Thanks a lot for another fine job karlbenson  ;)

Just one question:
Besides this mod, i have this one installed. Do you think it also works as an anti-bot measure?

karlbenson

Having other non-standard mandatory fields can help stop robots / automated signups.

For example there have been several people using the Custom Profile Fields with a mandatory option saying they don't get spambots.  Obviously there is nothing that can be done about human spammers registering and spamming.

FragaCampos

Of course. Unfortunately :P
But wouldn't it be more difficult for bots to choose from a dropdown list like the one from the flags list?

karlbenson

My point all along with anti-bot mods is to create a large variety.

The more unique and different our registration pages are, the less effective spam bots will be.  The hard it would be to write them, and the more it will cost them. (making it less profitable).

Deoxys94

Nice modd!  8)

Spanish translation:

$txt['are_you_human'] = 'Eres un humano?';
$txt['are_you_human_desc'] = 'Otra Medida Anti-Bot';
$txt['are_you_human_no'] = 'No';
$txt['are_you_human_yes'] = 'Si';
$txt['are_you_human_unsure'] = 'No lo se!?';
$txt['are_you_bot_unsure'] = 'Por favor confirma si eres un humano para proceder con tu registro';
$txt['are_you_bot_yes'] = 'A Los Bots no se les permite registrarse!. Por favor confirma que eres un humano para registrarte';

No doy soporte por MP ni MSN
...Leo los foros como todos...
Я не говорят по-русски xD
No Hablo ruso xD

infonet7

Yeah! I was going to post the same.

It would be great to be included in the official mod.

Useful for Modifications.spanish.php and Modifications.spanish_es-utf8.php

Quote from: Rekkuza on May 06, 2008, 09:33:18 PM
Nice modd!  8)

Spanish translation:

$txt['are_you_human'] = 'Eres un humano?';
$txt['are_you_human_desc'] = 'Otra Medida Anti-Bot';
$txt['are_you_human_no'] = 'No';
$txt['are_you_human_yes'] = 'Si';
$txt['are_you_human_unsure'] = 'No lo se!?';
$txt['are_you_bot_unsure'] = 'Por favor confirma si eres un humano para proceder con tu registro';
$txt['are_you_bot_yes'] = 'A Los Bots no se les permite registrarse!. Por favor confirma que eres un humano para registrarte';

hxxp:www.mashardware.com/foro/lo-que-estamos-trayendo/sorteo-de-la-antec-mini-p180/ [nonactive]

disidente de nada

karlbenson

Deoxys94

Quote from: karlbenson on May 12, 2008, 05:01:08 PM
It Should work for 1.1.5

The mod working properly on SMF 1.1.5...

no problems

No doy soporte por MP ni MSN
...Leo los foros como todos...
Я не говорят по-русски xD
No Hablo ruso xD

villasg

Encore127

I'm having problems on SMF 1.0.6
Having trouble finding
// Are they under age, and under age users are banned?
and
// Are there age restrictions in place?

Any help?

karlbenson

This mod WON'T work on SMF 1.0.6.
Only SMF 1.1.x.

1.0.6 is a very old version. You should upgrade your forum to the latest 1.0.x version at least (which I believe is 1.0.12). If not smf 1.1.5.

Rudix

Newbie SMF user quest here:

What directory do I upload it, and how do I install it. ;)

Rudix

Well. I managed to install it. But it does'nt appear on the registration site. Might it be cause I use norwegian as language? What do I do then?

babylon

well looks to me this mod doesnt work in every situation...you must have a lot of luck getting this to work.
edited manually,and double ,double checked...
it constantly says im a bot.

nend

I was thinking about making something similar to your are you human bot. I was thinking maybe a registration survey or preregistration test.

The admin adds the questions into the smf admin panel and picks which questions should be answered correctly. They can also set it up to all questions should be answered correctly if they like. If they fail the preregistration test then they are not allowed to regester.

This could also be helpful in screening users instead of blocking bots. Say your forum is about tubes, maybe you want users with similar knowledge to only be able to register. ;)

I believe this would have multiple purposes. Basically it will allow forum users to create unique registration forms. A plus about that is that bots are not really too good when a forum registration page looks different from another forum who uses the same software. ;)

Advertisement: