News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Download System

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, October 31, 2007, 06:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lindawing

First of all, I'd like to say that I am very appreciative of this system. I just started using it two days ago, and I like it very much. From the previous posts, I'd say it was probably a good thing I didn't find it until now, so that the problems others found haven't happened for me. I do, however, have a couple of suggestions for the mod, that I think would lend it a bit more flexibility for administrative personnel.

In my forum (http://www.flyingacres.com/NeighborlySims/FORUM-SMF/index.php) I've been offering uploading/downloading privileges to members, and have been using Harro's "Attachements Layout" mod to make sure photos stay separate from files in the posts. When I happened on your Download System and installed it, I began converting those attachments to actual download files to be counted and processed through the new system. I've been working specifically in this forum: http://www.flyingacres.com/NeighborlySims/FORUM-SMF/index.php?board=93.0 and am about 3/4 of the way done.

After this current project gets completely updated, I need to go through all of my other similar forums and do the same. Since I am converting the uploads for my regular members, there are some things that would be much more convenient if the mod were arranged just slightly differently. I realize that just one person's needs can't drive a change in the mod, but I'm thinking that many administrators might face the same situation once they realize that your mod is available. Here are the things I've been thinking about:

(1) It would be nice if the "Change Owner" blank were available in the initial Add Download form, rather than having to post the file, then EDIT the download page in order to change the owner. Or is this something I could initiate by the use of a customized field (as I was reading somewhere earlier in this thread)?

(2) If the Description field is being used to create the download page, couldn't that description be picked up by the mod and entered onto the page that's created in the related forum? I know copying and pasting only takes a few extra seconds, but it would be a step less in the process, for members who are having to learn the whole thing, who are NOT moderators or administrators.

(3) As it is, once the download page is created, the mod cycles back to the owner's list of downloads. It would make more sense to cycle directly to the aforementioned page that is created in the related forum, because members (at least in our case) have to go there, anyway, to add photos to go with their downloads. I've been working with three tabs open, because of this. Once I finish a download page, because it thinks it was mine, it goes right to my list of downloadable files. Then I have to edit and force that particular download to go to the real owner's list, but I'm still stuck in MY list. Then I have to go to another tab and refresh the listing of posts in the collections listing where I had the reference set, so I can get the link to use in the download reference page. Then, since I'm converting old posts, I have to go to the third tab and copy in the correct information for the new download page, and I actually open a fourth tab to test out the download reference, which brings me to my final thought.

(4) Since I'm converting to the system for files that have already been downloaded a number of times (thankfully, in this case not 100s of times)--usually around 5-10 times per file, I want to show those counts in the new statistics. To do that, I discovered that I can click on the download link, then cancel, as many times as is necessary to force that count to the level where it was in the attachments layout.

One problem with that would be if there WERE 100s of downloads (which can happen), or if a member figured out that download figures can be jacked up by this method, as well! I think it would be great if there were a place to just enter the number of previous downloads, so that figure could then be added to the total downloads for the newly-created download.

Also, I have no idea if there would be a way, but could the downloads be made to count ONLY if the file actually gets SAVED (a cancel would NOT count).

- - - - -

Anyway...those are my thoughts, and I hope they make sense. If I knew how to make mods like this, I would try to figure it out for myself, but...that's why I'm just running forums, and you're creating ways to customize them...right?

Once again, though, I do want to make sure that you know that I REALLY appreciate this mod! Even without the improvements/changes I thought of, it's still a wonderful tool. Thank you very much.

Linda

AxS Voldsom

First off great mod and all but I need help.

1. I'm using the download system for videos and when you click download it just opens and plays, if there a way to make it force the download?

2. When I upload nothing appears (I'm guessing my files are too large)

3. When I use a file url it doesn't show the file size.

SMF version 1.1.4

Thanks in advance for any help.

AxS Voldsom

Okay you can scratch #2 off that list, all I had to do is change up my php.ini file, but still needing some help for #s 1 and 3.

Pond_Hockey

How do you edit the title of a category?

LiamTheDuck

1. Execute Modification ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php Test successful
2. Execute Modification ./Themes/default/languages/Who.english.php Test successful
3. Execute Modification ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english-utf8.php Test failed
4. Execute Modification ./index.php Test successful
5. Execute Modification ./Themes/default/index.template.php Test successful
6. Execute Modification ./Sources/Subs.php Test successful
7. Execute Modification ./Sources/ManagePermissions.php Test successful
8. Extract File ./Sources/Downloads.php 
9. Extract File ./Themes/default/Downloads.template.php 
10. Extract Tree ./downloads 
11. Extract File ./Themes/default/languages/Downloads.english.php 
12. Extract File ./Themes/default/languages/Downloads.english-utf8.php 
13. Execute Code downloadsinstall.php
I am back, its been like a year... so yeah.... how has it been? :D

vbgamer45

Go ahead /Modifications.english-utf8.php Test failed  can fail
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

johnnyskd

On the default theme how do you increase the file upload size to say100mg's?

For videos and stuff.

I have already called my hosting company and they said I am good to go up to 100mg's file size.  So what file in your download system controls the size? and what line please

Thank you
[nofollow]
www.36thid.com

christianocr

Installations actions for "Downloads System":
Installing this package will perform the following actions:
   Type    Action    Description
1.    Execute Modification    ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php    Test successful
2.    Execute Modification    ./Themes/default/languages/Who.english.php    Test successful
3.    Execute Modification    ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english-utf8.php    Test successful
4.    Execute Modification    ./index.php    Test successful
5.    Execute Modification    ./Themes/default/index.template.php    Test failed
6.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Subs.php    Test successful
7.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/ManagePermissions.php    Test successful
8.    Extract File    ./Sources/Downloads.php    
9.    Extract File    ./Themes/default/Downloads.template.php    
10.    Extract Tree    ./downloads    
11.    Extract File    ./Themes/default/languages/Downloads.english.php    
12.    Extract File    ./Themes/default/languages/Downloads.english-utf8.php    
13.    Execute Code    downloadsinstall.php

What must i do..?

vbgamer45

You will need to install the mod manually use the following link and upload the package to it
http://www.smfhacks.com/smf-package-parser.html
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

christianocr

The mod is installed. But when i point it to the downloads url it goes back to my main forum.And when i put a file into the downloads directory in my forum it doesnt show up in approve downloads list.
Please help. Thank you

vbgamer45

You can not place files directory in the downloads folder to have them appear.

The downloads system is accessed via
http://www.yourforum.com/index.php?action=downloads

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Damian1221

Quote from: rtyug on February 01, 2008, 07:48:25 PM
$valid_types =  array("rar","zip");
if (in_array($filename, $valid_types))

fatal_error($txt['downloads_error_no_download'],false);

function AddDownload2()
{
global $ID_MEMBER, $txt, $db_prefix, $scripturl, $modSettings, $boarddir, $sourcedir, $gd2, $user_info, $boardurl;

isAllowedTo('downloads_add');

if (empty($modSettings['down_path']))
{
$modSettings['down_path'] = $boarddir . '/downloads/';
}
// Check if downloads path is writable
if (!is_writable($modSettings['down_path']))
fatal_error($txt['downloads_write_error'] . $modSettings['down_path']);

$title = htmlspecialchars($_REQUEST['title'],ENT_QUOTES);
$description = htmlspecialchars($_REQUEST['description'],ENT_QUOTES);
$keywords = htmlspecialchars($_REQUEST['keywords'],ENT_QUOTES);
$cat = (int) $_REQUEST['cat'];
$fileurl = htmlspecialchars($_REQUEST['fileurl'],ENT_QUOTES);
$allowcomments = isset($_REQUEST['allowcomments']) ? 1 : 0;
$sendemail = isset($_REQUEST['sendemail']) ? 1 : 0;
$filesize = 0;

GetCatPermission($cat,'addfile');

// Check if downloads are auto approved
$approved = (allowedTo('downloads_autoapprove') ? 1 : 0);

// Allow comments on file if no setting set.
if (empty($modSettings['down_commentchoice']))
$allowcomments = 1;

$valid_types =  array("rar","zip");
if (in_array($filename, $valid_types))

fatal_error($txt['downloads_error_no_download'],false);

if ($title == '')
fatal_error($txt['downloads_error_no_title'],false);
if ($cat == '')
fatal_error($txt['downloads_error_no_cat'],false);

if ($modSettings['down_set_enable_multifolder'])
CreateDownloadFolder();

can you explain a little more on that please? where exactly do I put that so I can only put files with certain extensions

tethead

Quote from: Alder on December 10, 2007, 08:34:39 AM
Josh Schnapp, check you PHP settings. Usually in /etc/php.ini
First - upload_max_filesize (defualt -  2M)
Second - post_max_size (default 6М)
Set biggest value and restart PHP.

thank you for this, got it working finally with that tip! 

in my Debian (Etch) system, i had to update the php.ini which was in /etc/php5/cli AND in /etc/php5/cli/apache2  - once i did both of those and restarted apache2, it was all good
week4paug.net - a website for all things PHiSH

foolinthemoon

~~~Issue Resolved~~~ if any one else seems to have this problem, it had to do with the language format the users are veiwing.

Hi, I love this mod, but i seem to be having a slight issue, as it seems i'm the only one who can see it.

I know what you're thinking, CHECK PERMISSIONS, but i did that, i've also set the permissions in the catergories and sub catergories.

The thing is when i sent my co admin to check it out, she couldn't see it, even though i could... when she logged into my name however, the tab was visible to her. after we logged back into  our own names, i was able to send her the link and she was able to see and navigate.

i don't believe it's a template issue, all my templates are edits of the core template, and not downloaded (i think we have one that's downloaded no one uses it)

I do wonder if the link is simply not showing up... but that would still baffle me, as it does show up for me...

Also, i do have a few files that refuse to upload, and i have to link them, when they 'upload' they show as 0 kb (but these are some of the same that refuse to be attached to the forum for one reason or another)

i don't think you'll need it, but the forum is http://themessians.org [nofollow]

thank you in advance.

jonny.dee

Hi,

thank you for your wonderful Download System -- it really rocks! :)

I think I've found a small bug, however. When I move a download from its parent category into a subcategory the "Total Files" counter of the parent category seems to count the moved download twice. For example, I had 1 download x in category A and 4 downloads in subcategory B of A. And when I moved x into subcategory B the "Total Files" counter of A showed up 6 (which is wrong) while the counter of B correctly showed up 5. I suppose these counters are not calculated on the fly because when I looked into the corrsponding database tables I found the entry with the wrong value 6. I manually changed 6 to 5 and now everything seems to be right again. It should be a minor bug fix...I hope...?

Another issue I stumbled over is that i tried to upload category images and it worked fine but they do not show up. Instead, a small empty area appears. Am I doing something wrong?

Best regards and thanks again for you pretty work,
Jonny

gerbera

Thanks a lot for this mod, it is highly useful.

However, I do have some questions.

1) My forum has users from a variety of countries. I am German myself, so I would really appreciate it if there was a way to make the mod work with other language settings, too, not just with English. Is that possible? / Can anyone tell me how do this?

2) Some of my users have pointed out that they do not know all the BB codes for images and URLs and the like. Is it possible to add BB code buttons to the description and comments fields?

3) In the list of files, it would be really nice if you could see a thumbnail that shows the preview of the download. Is that possible?

4) I have not found an option to disable file approving. Did I just miss it? I would like all members to be able to upload without having to wait for an approval.

5) Is it possible to make the Thank-O-Matic mod work with the downloads so we not only get ratings but also thanks for downloads?

Thanks in advance for replies :)

edit: I have discovered that I am not able to upload any big files. Although the settings allow files up to 5 MB, I can't even upload 3 MB files. It always uploads and empty package. Any idea what is causing that?
hxxp:themessians.org [nonactive]

Damian1221

is there a way to set it to auto approve downloads+comments?

vbgamer45

Admin -> Permisssions -> modify a group ->
Auto Approve Comments     
Auto Approve Downloads

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Advertisement: