News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Advance SEF URLs

Started by Biology Forums, October 31, 2007, 09:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

digit

Well, now that it's uninstalled, I don't know - it seems like the top and bottom (2 out of the 4) checkboxes were checked.  I am not using tinyportal. I never had a problem, but at least 4 users reported the problem.  :(
Happily using a heavily modified 1.1.16 version of SMF!

2748011 Posts in 320998 Topics by 50986 Members

SOLD my website - thanks it was a good run - they converted to vbadvanced. (and screwed it up good!)

SleePy

Use index instead of index.php (Doesn't work on all servers, use "$disable_sef = true;" in your Settings.php if enabling this breaks your site)

So this was checked? Not all servers may handle this correctly. Not much can be done about that, its just some setups will work without requireing the file extension. Others may work but anything sent through post files and yet even others just fail with a 404.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

digit

Quote from: SleePy on January 30, 2008, 10:27:54 PM
Use index instead of index.php (Doesn't work on all servers, use "$disable_sef = true;" in your Settings.php if enabling this breaks your site)

So this was checked? Not all servers may handle this correctly. Not much can be done about that, its just some setups will work without requireing the file extension. Others may work but anything sent through post files and yet even others just fail with a 404.

I WAS using index instead of index.php.  Hmm, odd only SOME users were reporting problems.  It was working great for me.  I will give this a try again in a couple of days.  THANKS!

SOLD my website - thanks it was a good run - they converted to vbadvanced. (and screwed it up good!)

Aileen

Hi there, any demo for this? thanks

SleePy

I run an example at my site.
The default SMF SEF will not do actions, and I have mine to do SEF on actions.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

digit

I tried installing this again.  THIS time, I had a weird error with PM's...

When composing a new message in the inbox, by clicking on "New Message"....  and trying to enter ANYONE's username, it would autofill the field with MY, the admin's username!

I uninstalled it again.  :(

I suspect it had to do with....

<file name="$themedir/Post.template.php">
<operation>
<search position="replace"><![CDATA[ getXMLDocument("', $scripturl, '?action=quotefast;quote=" + messageid + ";sesc=', $context['session_id'], ';xml", onDocReceived);
else
reqWin("', $scripturl, '?action=quotefast;quote=" + messageid + ";sesc=', $context['session_id'], '", 240, 90);
]]></search>
<add><![CDATA[ getXMLDocument("?action=quotefast;quote=" + messageid + ";sesc=', $context['session_id'], ';xml", onDocReceived);
else
reqWin("?action=quotefast;quote=" + messageid + ";sesc=', $context['session_id'], '", 240, 90);
]]></add>

SleePy

Well it shouldn't break that.
That is only on the post template as well. Sending a PM uses its own template.

Was this in SMF 2.0?
I haven't thought about the auto search that it does for the username.

mikemikemike

Hi Sleepy,

I have installed advance SEF Urls, i'm very happy with it.
There's one problem with my felblog (blog by feline).
I have install 24 mods and Sef works very good on it, only at on page of felblog there is a problem with the Urls.

When i activate friendly urls ( (?) in sort of index.php) form de mod Advance SEF Urls mij one page of felblog can not reload. When ik click in the felblog adminpage on save (for the settings), my page do nothing, it give not an error too. Its a page to activate a blog (on/off).

When i deactivate the mod mod Advance SEF URLs felblog works correctly.

I don't no what the problem is.

Can you help me?

PS i'm sorry for my english

SleePy

Could I have a link to your site? What isn't working though? Just postings?

Its hard to say what could be causing it. This mod actually just changes the way urls are handled. It sounds like felblog doesn't like the urls that are being used.

mikemikemike

Hi Sleepy,

Can i send it to an email, for my privacy.
And i wil send you a login code.

Thanx a Lot

SleePy

You can send it in a pm.

The creator of Felblog may have more details as well why SEF urls are not playing nicely.
The only thing I could think of is FelBlog may not use the cleanRequest() function in SMF (though it would have to be outside of SMF) and thus isn't getting the url fixes for when SEF urls are detected.

mikemikemike

Hi Sleepy,

I have tell the mod maker (felblog) but she says i must ask to you because felblog works on a normal on a normal installation. The treu, but i have tell her that i have 24 mods en it works great with Advance SEF Urls only one felblog page not.

I have send a pm to you, thanx a lot Sleepy for your support.

SleePy

Well firefox tells me it enters an infinite loop.

I tried with just the index.php and it worked fine. It did redirect to the main page with just a ? instead of what it should of had.
I don't have the source of felblog to look at it, but for some reason I am assuming its doing a different method of redirecting the user and catching itself in a loop from not being able to detect the url right.

mikemikemike

Hai Sleepy,

I have look in Firefox too. When i fill in an index.php instead of ? he brings me to the homepage of my site. Normaly it must redirect me tot the same page with the new settings.

I have send you in the PM a link for a download file of the page (source).
I hope so you can find what the problem is.

It's very strange when i deactivate te URLs mod it work normal, en when i activate it it works not (link is not correct).

I hope so you can fix it.. im asking a lot of people for help with it and nobody can't find the problem.

webdzinez

I enabled this mod .. but dont see any change anywhere? Does it include new settings ?

I do see some checkboxes below Search Engine Friendly URL setting ... but all of them are blank ... no text to show what they stand for.

SleePy

If they are blank (meaning no descriptions to the strings) then that most likely means that you are using a non English language.

You would need to enable the settings after you have their descriptions. This won't change anything until the settings are enabled (to help prevent issues incase a setting breaks the forum from working)

webdzinez

But I am using English - http://openalternatives.org/forums/ [nofollow]
I double checked the default language available to my board is only English.

SleePy

webdzinez

yes ... I am using UTF-8 ....

SleePy

You will need to copy the language strings it added into Modification.english.php to Modifications.english-utf8.php.
These file are located in /Themes/default/languages

Advertisement: