Excessive CPU time - Host wants more money

Started by chinathetimes, November 01, 2007, 04:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jade Elizabeth

feisty lol

i have like 30 members (32) and ive not had any problems, only once, it went so incredibly slow around the 12 member mark for 2 days, but that was my hosts fault (and i havent optimized tables in a while, then i did all the checks in the settings to make it go faster)
but for real....9 members should NEVER cause problems like that
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

chinathetimes

Quote from: Ben_S on November 03, 2007, 02:11:18 PM
Quote from: chinathetimes on November 01, 2007, 06:41:34 PMI have 9 users by the way.

Find a new host then, there is no way on earth a forum with 9 members would cause any issues.

Quote from: chinathetimes on November 03, 2007, 02:18:27 AMAplus is in the top five US hosts according to Cnet.com.

Don't make me laugh, top 5 oversellers maybe, try doing some research on a real site like webhostingtalk rather than pathetic sites like cnet where money = good reviews.
Tell me Ben_S are you sure and were you sure before the Firefox patch?

I am going by evidence that I see.

I have hosted with this company for two years.

This happened a year and a half ago and I managed to find someone who helped me track down a broken nested if.

Now, a week after I do an upgrade, I get a warning on cpu time.

What does that evidence say to you?

In all my experience using different languages, it means the patch I put in with the help of another person on these forums has been overwritten when the code from the most recent release was uploaded.
I'm running SMF 1.1.3 on http://www.chinathetimes.com/

Jade Elizabeth

Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

chinathetimes

Quote from: Alundra on November 03, 2007, 07:07:39 PM
well then put the bloody patch back in
All records of what I did are gone since that was a year and a half ago.

I am also in Beijing using my laptop, quite a distance from my normal maintenance computer and I will not be returning before my 7 day warning has expired.

青山 素子

The Firefox issue was due to an actual error in Firefox. The change is still in there for older FF versions that aren't patched.

Do you remember what type of file you changed? Was it a Javascript file, or a PHP file?

A lot has changed since the RC releases, so it would be difficult to determine anything. If you had kept up, it would have been easier. Oh well, not much we can do about that.

Looking at the plans over at aplus.net, they are overselling by some margin. There is no way they could get 2 terabytes of transfer for the price they are selling (looking at Solo XR). If they can see you over CPU, they should be able to give you the script URL that is causing the trouble.

Also, can we please keep this on one topic? We have two going that you are posting in and it makes offering help very difficult. Please pick a topic and stay in it please.

Edit: It looks like C|Net must have gotten paid off. Abacus America (APlus.net) has an unsatisfactory rating with the BBB. 11 unanswered complaints, a handful of unresolved complaints, a huge number of complaints in their history, etc.

Customer Experience

Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record with the Bureau due to 11 unanswered complaints, 4 unresolved complaints and a pattern of complaints.

poor customer service practices and difficulty in obtaining a refund. Consumer complaints allege difficulty in canceling their contracts. When they attempt to contact the company to cancel, they either can not get through or their requests are being ignored. Consumers then ask for a refund of their money and the company is not responding. Consumers are stating they are promised service support 24/7 and they can not reach anyone at the company to assist them. The company also has exhibited a pattern of failing to respond to complaints brought to the BBB's attention in a timely fashion.

This is from the San Diego, CA BBB report on the company. They appear to have moved their corporation to Kansas, and the BBB over there mentions the unsatisfactory rating in a report they have.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

chinathetimes

Thanks for the warning.

I'll change hosts then.

Cheers.

青山 素子

I highly suggest checking our Hosts and Hosting board, looking up stuff on major sites like Web Hosting Talk, checking the BBB report on them, and in general taking some care in selecting a good host.

Also, be aware that all hosts oversell their shared hosting (it is just the way things work), but an "overseller" is usually doing this by so much as to make the business unsustainable. Be warned that those hosts will usually push you into a higher plan and not be very helpful at finding the source of any problem you have.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

chinathetimes

Quote from: Motoko-chan on November 03, 2007, 09:06:51 PM
I highly suggest checking our Hosts and Hosting board, looking up stuff on major sites like Web Hosting Talk, checking the BBB report on them, and in general taking some care in selecting a good host.

Also, be aware that all hosts oversell their shared hosting (it is just the way things work), but an "overseller" is usually doing this by so much as to make the business unsustainable. Be warned that those hosts will usually push you into a higher plan and not be very helpful at finding the source of any problem you have.
I have indeed found that with Aplus in the past.

Although they advertise backups for instance, when I was working with Orsto's bridge last year and managed to screw things up, I found the backups were for 'their use only'.

My previous host would bend over backwards for me when I ran an online store.

Sorry to have caused trouble.

Fiery

You didnt cause any trouble.

If reading through the suggestions did not help, you can try searching through posts about some of the mods you are using and seeing if anyone has any similar problems.

Though, as stated above I would attribute some of the issues you have to being on an oversold host.  If you can change that than would be ideal, as said above take a look at the hosts and hosting board...there are many good posts and suggestions.

Thanks

Advertisement: