News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Anonymous Board Mod

Started by JMV290, November 04, 2007, 07:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiY4Gi

Still no update? Come on...
Check out my new website, MyAnimeClub.net. I plan to create the largest anime community, and most fun and user-friendly anime forum in the world. It's still in the development stage though.

MiY4Gi

Check out my new website, MyAnimeClub.net. I plan to create the largest anime community, and most fun and user-friendly anime forum in the world. It's still in the development stage though.

bobbart

Having an issue with the mod.  Its showing any group moderators name that would post in the board thats set to be anonymous.

Sirenism

It installed on SMF 2.0 perfectly and works when a user replies to a topic that's been created. However if you create a new topic in that board the topic creators name still shows and is not anonymous. The only way to fix it is to run the included SQL:

Code: [Select]
UPDATE `smf_messages` SET `id_member`=0 WHERE `id_board`=[BOARD NUMBER];
UPDATE `smf_messages` SET `poster_name`='Anonymous' WHERE `ID_BOARD`=[BOARD NUMBER];
UPDATE `smf_messages` SET `poster_email`='' WHERE `id_board`=[BOARD NUMBER];
UPDATE `smf_messages` SET `modified_name`='Anonymous' WHERE `modified_name`<>'' AND `id_board`=[BOARD NUMBER];

This fixes the problem for topics that were posted, but doesn't fix the problem of the creator of the topic having the option to post anonymously when first posting that topic. I hope that made sense. I don't want to have to run that SQL every time someone creates a post because it defeats the purpose of having this mod in place.

Any ideas on how I can possibly fix this?

billowingwillows

The mod (as written) has the board default to anonymous and allow username on checkbox.
I posted code earlier indicating how to change that to default to username, but allow anonymous on checkbox.

Hi, I was reading through all of your posts in this thread to see if you mentioned how to accomplish exactly this (so the checkbox would activate the anonymous function) and then I found it. Now I feel really relieved that I can use this mod the way I need and to use simple machines in general (needed to make sure that this function would be possible before I chose).
Is there a way I can donate to you for your work? This one is kind of a life-saver.  ;D

samurai-lupin

Quote from: memiller on February 25, 2011, 11:08:38 AM
Kindred:
It is exactly as you predicted. After editing that line to check for empties, the error is no longer reported, but the symptoms remain the same: Anonymous works for replying to an existing topic, but starting a new topic throws the error.

BTW, if you do find time to update the mod, it will make some folks very happy.

Thanks again,
  Mark

Hello, has this issue ever been fixed as I am expiriencing exactly the same problem.

JMV290

Quote from: MiY4Gi on July 18, 2011, 01:32:53 AM
And where has this new developer gone? Is this like a hit and run?
Oh no. I was just not aware of this topic or the discussed issues until now.

I had been checking my PMs all summer after updating the mod but got nothing so I figured nothing was wrong.  After September I got a bit caught up with classes and work but should have a bit of free time starting in the next week or two to look at the issues.

The first PM I actually got regarding the issue was in late november and that got buried in my e-mail inbox where I didn't notice it until today.

JMV290

Quote from: MiY4Gi on July 15, 2011, 08:30:42 AM
It's still not working.  :(
What theme are you using it on?

If this box is checked you should get the option on the board like this

Post the topic and I get returned this

Now if you check the box

The following should post

Replying to either topic works fine too:

and

I may be misreading content but it looks like on 2.0 with the default theme everything works fine.  If someone could clarify the issue or provide screenshots or a link that'd be great.

edit:  Samurai-lupin:  Is this your forum that you are trying the mod on http://www.detektorforum.de/smf ?  If so mod I worked on and am supporting works on 2.0+   I'm not sure if Kindred or anyone else is still supporting the older version of the mod.

MiY4Gi

Cool, no hard feelings. Now that you're here, it's all good.

Well, I was using it on Ambassador, one of Crip's Curve variants. I've got SMF 2.0.1. Well, I haven't worked on my forum in a while, but from what I remember, I ticked the Make This Board Anonymous box, but nothing changed in the corresponding forum board. I made a few test posts, and all showed the usernames of the posters.

I should get around to working on my forum over the next few days, then I'll give you more feedback. At the moment I have don't have the Anonymous Board mod installed, so I'll give it another go and let you know what happens.

JMV290

Thanks, let me know if it works on both that theme and the default.

I've not had a chance to test it on 2.0.1 either.

billowingwillows

Hello, today I've finally installed Simple Machines. 2.0.1. I'm getting everything up and running, and as can be seen further up, I've been curious about this mod before I even installed.  ;D

I went to Package Manager, selected the freshly-downloaded zip, went to install it, but it strongly recommended me not to, on account of some errors it found. I see that the theme I'm using might affect performance, judging by the posts above. Okay, so my theme that I'm using now is named "Black Rain" (page here: http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?lemma=118

And here's the errors (new so I don't know if this is how this stuff is usually reported):

*    1.    Execute Modification    ./Themes/default/ManageBoards.template.php    Test failed
      1.    Add Before    ./Themes/default/ManageBoards.template.php    Test failed
*    2.    Execute Modification    ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php    Test successful
*    3.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/ManageBoards.php    Test failed
      1.    Add After    ./Sources/ManageBoards.php    Test failed
      2.    Add After    ./Sources/ManageBoards.php    Test successful
*    4.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Subs-Boards.php    Test failed
      1.    Add After    ./Sources/Subs-Boards.php    Test failed
      2.    Replace    ./Sources/Subs-Boards.php    Test failed
      3.    Add Before    ./Sources/Subs-Boards.php    Test successful
*    5.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Load.php    Test failed
      1.    Replace    ./Sources/Load.php    Test failed
      2.    Add Before    ./Sources/Load.php    Test failed
*    6.    Execute Modification    ./Themes/default/Post.template.php    Test successful
*    7.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Post.php    Test successful
*    8.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Who.php    Test failed
      1.    Add After    ./Sources/Who.php    Test failed
      2.    Add After    ./Sources/Who.php    Test failed
   9.    Execute Code    add_settings.php

Normally I'd assume that, being a newb, I messed something up, but installing the forum was a breeze and I didn't have a chance to mess stuff up with the mod itself. ;)

While I'm at it, I saw that, with this anonymous function, the default is anonymous posting, with a user being able, while posting, to select a box to make their post not show anonymously.
Is there any easy way to make it so that a forum can default as a regular forum, but that the user, when posting, can select a box to make their post anonymous, just for that specific post? I've seen this function at another forum and it proved very useful, and would prove useful for the format of my forums too.

Thanks for any help! :)

Kindred

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Error_in_mod_installation

as fro switching... you would have to switch the code that assigns the anon and the text...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

billowingwillows

Thanks for the reply. Hhm... read through the article and I'm a bit startled at the idea of replacing all that code manually. I've done stuff like that a lot with HTML and CSS, but that's with simple stuff...

I got to ask... is it common for this to happen? And it's probably because of the different themes?
I basically need to find those files specifically, and insert the code in by hand... but what I don't understand is what the difference would be between this and if I went ahead with installation anyway. Especially since I won't truly understand what all the code means... should I just back-up and then try forcing the installation first?  :o

On the other note, I figured that there'd be a way of modifying the code to accomplish the switch, but I was curious if maybe the creator would already know specifically how to do this, if it'd be easy for him to explain how. I do have enough of an adventurous spirit to dive right into this and experiment, but at this point, indications certainly would be welcome.  ;D

Kindred

Well, forcing the installation past the warnings means that the mod will be partially installed and will likely cause errors in your forum until the installation is either completed or removed.

As I said in the wiki, you will have to manually edit any of the files/sections which throw errors on the automatic installation.

And no... the errors are not due to additional themes.  The errors are likely due to other mods which have alreayd modified the target installation code.

As for your other question.... it does help to read the previous pages of this thread....
Quote from: rumfa on April 14, 2008, 08:35:56 AM
Find post.template.php
<input type="checkbox" name="post_unanon" />

Change in:
<input type="checkbox" checked name="post_unanon" />

or

Quote from: Darkness_ on February 14, 2008, 04:50:28 PM
find this code in post.php
// anonymous board mod
if ( $context['anonymousBoard'] && !isset($_POST['post_unanon']) )
{
// Destroy the identifing user data
$user_info['username'] = 'Anonymous';
$user_info['name'] = 'Anonymous';
$user_info['email'] = '';
$user_info['avatar'] = array();
$ID_MEMBER = 0;
}

and replace it with

// anonymous board mod
if ( $context['anonymousBoard'] && isset($_POST['post_unanon']) )
{
// Destroy the identifing user data
$user_info['username'] = 'Anonymous';
$user_info['name'] = 'Anonymous';
$user_info['email'] = '';
$user_info['avatar'] = array();
$ID_MEMBER = 0;
}

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

samurai-lupin

Quote from: samurai-lupin on October 21, 2011, 12:49:22 PM
Quote from: memiller on February 25, 2011, 11:08:38 AM
Kindred:
It is exactly as you predicted. After editing that line to check for empties, the error is no longer reported, but the symptoms remain the same: Anonymous works for replying to an existing topic, but starting a new topic throws the error.

BTW, if you do find time to update the mod, it will make some folks very happy.

Thanks again,
  Mark

Hello, has this issue ever been fixed as I am expiriencing exactly the same problem.

Bump

JMV290

From what I understand from your posts and PMs is that the issue you're having is with the version written for SMF 1.1.x which I'm not supporting and don't think Kindred is supporting anymore either.

And thanks Kindred for answering that.  There really isn't much I can do work around errors that may be related to installation of other mods.  billowingwillows, how many other mods do you have installed? 

You were able to get it to install on 2.0.1. though?  I was just testing what I had and I think I might have some issue with the version string preventing me from installing it myself on a tester so I need to look at that.   

edit: And that was fixed. I had it sent to only install on 2.0 so it wasn't even showing with the option to install on 2.0.1 for me. This should be fixed for all 2.x releases unless there is a change to the code itself.

Huf

Hi!

I'm experiencing the same "Can post anonymous replies, but cannot start anonymous topics" on my forum that's been mentoned a few times earlier on the thread.

I use SMF 2.0.1 on my forum and the error appears both on the default theme (Curve) and on Core theme. I have installed the 1.1 version of the mod.

This is the message I get in the forum's error log when I start a new topic:
*forum url*/index.php?action=post;board=89.0
8: Undefined index: anonymous_board
File: *forum root*/Themes/default/Post.template.php (main sub template - eval?)
Line: 524

The error log also shows some of these error messages, though only a couple of them:
*forum url*/index.php?action=post2;start=0;board=89
8: Undefined index: anonymous_board
File: *forum root*/Sources/Post.php
Line: 1248

The board in question (id 89) has been marked as anonymous in the admin panel. The error happens to users of several different usergropus, including me with admin rights, people with mod rights and people in the regular user group. Some users, however, have managed to start anonymous threads on the board but I have not found anything (usergroup, permissions, theme, language) that deviates between the few that can start anonymous topics and the rest (most of the users) who can't. ???

Here is a screenshot when I'm replying to a thread on the anonymous board (this is working ok):

And here is a screenshot when I'm creating a new thread on the anonymous board (no "post with your username" checkbox appears. After the thread is submitted the poster info of the thread can be seen instead of it being submitted by anonymous.)

samurai-lupin

Same problem here as huf has. Really would appreciate a fix for this. Thank you!

samurai-lupin

Bump. Would be great if someone can fix this bug please.

JMV290

Lupin, isn't your board 1.x?

Huf, is there a field "anonymous_board" in your database?  Try to manually run the install.php script and see what's happening, I'm curious as to whether or not the script is running. I haven't been able to recreate the issue so I can't test it myself.  It should be a column under {dbprefix}boards.

--
I was able to recreate it on a fresh 2.0.1 install but I can't get into PHPMyAdmin to check the database right now. It does work fine on the other forum I was testing when I did a 2.0 install -> Mod Install -> Update to 2.0.1. 

I will take a look to see what's up once I finish up at work.

It's possible the error is related to the $context['anonymous_board'], though I don't know why.

Advertisement: