Upgrade from YaBB SE to SMF?

Started by stevej, August 03, 2003, 12:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevej

Is there going to be an upgrade deal available?  Or if I move from YaBB SE to SMF will I have to get all of my users to re-register and lose all of my existing posts?

Just wondering if I'm going to bite this bullet or not.

http://www.woopig.net/php

Joel

They already have a working YSE->SMF converter, and there will be converters for those moving from a number of other forum packages as well. No bullet biting necessary. :)

stevej

Fantastic...

Was worried about how my 1900 users would feel about it.  I told them when I moved to Yabb Gold from UBB two years ago that I wouldn't make them re-register any more.

Plus there's great stuff (as far as my board goes) in the 147,000 posts that are there.

This board is super fast, so I look forward to doing the move when everything is all worked out.

Jeff Lewis

Just as Joel said, we have a working converter already and wouldn't expect people to have to struggle with an upgrade ;)
Co-Founder of SMF

Grudge

Quote from: Zas on August 03, 2003, 05:07:55 PM
So where is it?

As SMF isn't out yet I wouldn't imagine we'll see it until it is ;)
I'm only a half geek really...

BiErLeEuW

• I hope this Upgrade will also remove Tabs from ur database who are made of MODS from Yabbse... and will never used!

Jeff Lewis

It's not out yet, SMF is still being created!
Co-Founder of SMF

BiErLeEuW

ok,... i didn't think we talk about the same ;) But what i wanna say is that i hope the database will be smaller with the upgrade and that he will remove the ******** of the mods of YaBBse!

Joshua Dickerson

Quote from: BiErLeEuW on August 03, 2003, 05:38:02 PM
ok,... i didn't think we talk about the same ;) But what i wanna say is that i hope the database will be smaller with the upgrade and that he will remove the ******** of the mods of YaBBse!
The upgrade script really won't know what is "******" and what isn't. It will only convert the stuff of the standard install though. So no additional columns created by mods or any scripts or anyhting of that sort will be converted.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

Overseer

^ so it'd basically clean the ****** out right?

Joshua Dickerson

What ****** are you talking about and I can tell ya ;)
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

[Unknown]

No, it doesn't remove columns.  I plan on making a SMF -> SMF converter that will do that.

-[Unknown]

BiErLeEuW

thanx unknown! That's what i am waiting for :)

Seph|roth

Quote from: [Unknown] on August 03, 2003, 08:09:59 PM
No, it doesn't remove columns.  I plan on making a SMF -> SMF converter that will do that.

-[Unknown]
That makes sense .. an "SMF" to "SMF" converter  ;D :P

Flavius

Until SMF is ready, we will be moving to a new domain, server, databases etc...
So I will install a fresh SMF on the new site. Is there any way to import the users and messages from my yabbse board which is on the old site?   Thanks.

Seph|roth

Quote from: bostasp on August 19, 2003, 06:23:49 PM
I'm basically doing the same thing, well, basically

I'm moving my database over with the old forum, locking some of the boards im going to archive, etc.

What I suggest doing, is moving it all over, upgrade to SMF, so that the database has been upgraded to work with SMF, then if you want a nice clean new install, backup your database (with dump tables and the sort) install your new SMF forum (to the same details as your old forum, same database etc...) and then restore the database.

Slightly messy, and theres probably an easier way, but that's how I would do it.
I doubt that will work... from what i've heard, the whole databese structure has been changed, so restoring your old YSE database over your new SMF one will not work..

Seph|roth

ah yes sorry, i misunderstood that part..  ;)

and yes, they've already got a working YSE => SMF converter  8)

Flavius

Thank you, it sounds reasonable.  So lets see...I install yabbse on the new site, import the database, upgrade to SMF, install a new SMF and import ? :)  Means that a certain point two forums will share one database, is that ok.  And later I will have to delete the old tables and so on... :)

[Unknown]

Quote from: Flavius on August 20, 2003, 02:58:22 AM
Thank you, it sounds reasonable.  So lets see...I install yabbse on the new site, import the database, upgrade to SMF, install a new SMF and import ? :)  Means that a certain point two forums will share one database, is that ok.  And later I will have to delete the old tables and so on... :)

Actually, the upgrade script has a backup feature (creates new tables and all.)  so I don't see what the fuss is about.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: