News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

New Topic form Index navigation

Started by aw06, February 01, 2011, 01:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aw06

Thinking it would be a good idea to have a 'POST NEW TOPIC' link on the main nav menu, when clicked it will bring up a new post window but will provide a drop-down of all the available boards users can select then make the post in...
:: ShopinJA.com Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | Ig-Oh Theme by Koni | 70 Rock Solid Error Free Mods | Many Custom Edits & Tweaks ::
- Host Unlimited Websites - Free Website Builder & Templates - Unlimited Disk Space & Bandwidth

Matthew K.

Good idea, simple, and very possible. If I had more time, I'd write up a mod for it.

Although, I would be willing to help someone if they wanted to take it on.
Quote from: aw06 on February 01, 2011, 01:30:23 AM
Thinking it would be a good idea to have a 'POST NEW TOPIC' link on the main nav menu, when clicked it will bring up a new post window but will provide a drop-down of all the available boards a users can select then make the post in...

aw06

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on February 01, 2011, 01:33:31 AM
Good idea, simple, and very possible. If I had more time, I'd write up a mod for it.

Although, I would be willing to help someone if they wanted to take it on.
Quote from: aw06 on February 01, 2011, 01:30:23 AM
Thinking it would be a good idea to have a 'POST NEW TOPIC' link on the main nav menu, when clicked it will bring up a new post window but will provide a drop-down of all the available boards a users can select then make the post in...

Yeah.. I'm running a classifieds forum on 1.1.12 , so this would be really ideal .. as i could make a post new ad button so users can post up ads quicker ..

i made a request in the mod section...
:: ShopinJA.com Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | Ig-Oh Theme by Koni | 70 Rock Solid Error Free Mods | Many Custom Edits & Tweaks ::
- Host Unlimited Websites - Free Website Builder & Templates - Unlimited Disk Space & Bandwidth

Illori

Kindred

this is definitely mod bait, not a feature.

I think it would result in people continually posting in the wrong board because it was the first on the dropdown.  We alreayd have gone through the laziness of users in the site discussion.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

butchs

Sounds easier than it really is.  How do you allow users to select the board you want them to post the new topic to?

So if you are in the main board then the menu will not be visible and it will only show up when you are in a category or thread?

An option to make it active if you are logged in member would be nice?
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

aw06

Quote from: Kindred on February 01, 2011, 06:52:29 PM
this is definitely mod bait, not a feature.

I think it would result in people continually posting in the wrong board because it was the first on the dropdown.  We alreayd have gone through the laziness of users in the site discussion.

You would not let it auto select a board in the dropdown... that would be left black .. the user then would have to select a board to post in...

Quote from: butchs on February 01, 2011, 07:01:47 PM
Sounds easier than it really is.  How do you allow users to select the board you want them to post the new topic to?

So if you are in the main board then the menu will not be visible and it will only show up when you are in a category or thread?

Basically it would be a Post page and URL that can be linked to, it would not reside anywhere in the forums where existing post new topic buttons are..

So this link
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=post;board=x.x

After the mod we would have a link called
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=post;board=userselectable

We then put that up in the main navigation menu

Matthew K.

it would take me maybe an hour at very most to completely develop - with validation and some other features put in place. It would involve one query and two files, along with a couple edits, fairly simple.
Quote from: butchs on February 01, 2011, 07:01:47 PM

Kindred

as I said: mod bait.
I do not favor this for a standard feature
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antechinus

I have to say that I also think it is more suitable for a mod.

Matthew K.

Arantor

I definitely wouldn't want it as a core feature, knowing as I do that users will invariably just go for the first valid option that makes errors go away.

aw06

Users really that bad ??? Lol ... You saying if a user sees a dropdown with all boards to post in many will just select the first board and post ???

Maybe a popup after the post is made.. " Are you sure you wish to post in x Board "

A feature like this could be turned on/off by Admin thou, it wouldn't be always on..

But yeah, if not a core feature, would definitely be a nice mod..

Illori

if you add a popup, you are going to push users away as they expect a forum to allow them to press the post button and be done. people in general dont lie popups anyway.

check how many people here are posting in the wrong boards especially here http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=2.0

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: aw06 on February 02, 2011, 07:46:58 AM
Users really that bad ??? Lol ... You saying if a user sees a dropdown with all boards to post in many will just select the first board and post ???
Yes. Really. Sadly.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: