News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMF and search engines

Started by peterstannard, November 27, 2004, 07:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterstannard

when i had a yabb board nearly all the thread would be listed on google and other search engines, but with my SMF board only the index page is listed on google.

are there any options hidden away for me to allow search engines to crawl my site, i know there is this option with other forum software that i have used in the past.

peter

Oldiesmann

It will take a little while for Google to find the new URLs - since SMF's URLs are a bit different than YaBB SE's, Google will eventually search more of your board as the old links continue to return error messages. You can also try enabling queryless URLs to make the URLs look more like static HTML pages (Admin -> Edit Features and Options -> Show URL's without ?'s). This will only work on Apache servers though.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Grudge

Not sure what problem you are having, here, for example, google indexes this site very well - with some 40,000 results. Good example is a search like this:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=+site%3Awww.simplemachines.org+mambo+integration

Finds good results.

It may help if you enable "Use URLS without ?" in Feature Settings(If you server supports it, plus I have got the name of the setting wrong but you can hopefully find it!)

EDIT: Oldiesmann beat me :)
I'm only a half geek really...

[Unknown]

YaBB and YaBB SE actually were known for NOT indexing well.

-[Unknown]

peterstannard

i'll give it some time then and see what happens.

thank all 3 of ya.

SMF =  8)

Advertisement: