PM's after IPB 2 conversion

Started by notyourself, November 27, 2004, 10:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notyourself

I just switched to SMF, and it seemed that everything imported correctly.

Well, that isn't the case with personal messages.

At the top of the screen it says:

Hey, [username], you have 232 messages, 0 are new.

Then, when I go into the inbox there's sixteen pages (Pages: 1  ... 14 15 [16])

Only pages 1-3 have messages [with #3 having the most recent].  Pages 4-16 have no messages listed at all.

The 232 is the correct amount - that's how many I had on the other forums, they just won't display.

Any ideas?

Grudge

Can you go to the admin center -> forum maintenance and click "Fix board errors" and after that click "Recount stats", and post what happened. Did you have any mods installed for IPB or not?
I'm only a half geek really...

[Unknown]

Could I possibly get ahold of a dump of the message_topics and message_text tables from Invision?

Test data makes the world turn 'round ;).

-[Unknown]

cleavers1066

When we converted from IPB 1.1 a couple of weeks ago lots of members had old PM's return from the dead. It wasn't a big issue for us as its not a forum where we use PM's in a big fashion. Not any help I know but at least it confirms there is a problem.

I'd offer a dump of ours [Unknown] but its been deleted now i'm afraid, wish i'd known and been able to offer it for your use.

[Unknown]

So, there are problems in both versions of the converters.  Great.  I'll need to devote some time to this, sooner rather than later, I assume.

-[Unknown]

Grudge

I should really have a go at this as it's not really on that I made them and you fix all my bugs! I'll try find some time on the weekend...

Grudge

Ummm... Invisions schema is really confusing me here, I can't work out why this would happen. Invision seems to delete the message stuff when people delete messages, but otherwise all the messages should be ported over. I have a suspecion that I've done something wrong and I need to look at the cc field? Then you converted Invision over and messages went missing, was there anything which stood out about the missing ones (Were they all more than one recipient etc)

cleavers1066

In my case it was messages deleted under IPB, but still here under SMF, which I supsect is more a IPB deletion problem. They were from multiple members, and nothing in particular stood out. Some from a while ago, others recent, and i'm certain that ones I had deleted didn't come across though, so its a bit random. One of our otehr admin had the problem more than me, so i'll ask him if he noticed any pattern.

Grudge

That sounds about right. Basically, the converter at the moment doesn't do anything to not restore deleted messages, as I always thought they were permentantly deleted in IPB - guess I should take a look at what actually happens

cleavers1066

I've chatted with one of our other admins and he wonders whether the link may be tha fact that IPB somehow retains a chain of others hadn't deleted the PM's ?

All those that returned had been replied to (this was also the case for me as well), so maybe the IPB database doesn't delete PM's until all in a chain are deleted by the members concerned.

Only guessing but it might be something to look at ?

Hope that helps a little. I suppose in most cases it doesn't matter in the great scheme of things but we did have a few members who had full inboxes and weren't aware of it.

Grudge

Well - I updated the converter (CVS only) today, with what I think may be one problem. The thing I think may have been causing it is more to do with the way that IPB makes an entry for "sent" items, which was may have been converted as a "received" message. I'll have to keep looking at it :)

Advertisement: