News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Another Serious Smiley Problem... GRRRRR

Started by stonydell, November 30, 2004, 01:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stonydell

I tried to add a folder of smileys via FTP and then have SMF recognize them via the admin panel... well, it recognized the codes and file names but not the actual .gif files.  So then I tried to revert everything to the original smiley sets and it just won't!!!  I have nothing but the original files in the proper directory on my server.  But yet in the admin panel, the old codes and file names are still there and the new (original) codes and file names will NOT show up.  No matter what I do. 

HELP!  I don't want to have to redo the entire installation just b/c of a bunch of smilies. 

[Unknown]

Uncheck the "use custom smileys" checkbox and it will go back to the defaults (and also be faster.)

-[Unknown]

stonydell

I've tried that.

Still no go.

I did manage to restore the original sets and the codes and such but the actual .gif files themselves will not display.  only "red x's" where the images should be. 

Is there any way to complete restore this?  I've tried restoring the ManageSmileys in /Sources and the Templates directory as well.  Still, same problem.  I've tested it in multiple browsers as well with different users logged in. 

Obviously, something got screwed up when I tried to copy in the directory of smilies the first time and now it won't revert back. 

Whatelse can be done to fix this?

[Unknown]

I don't suppose you might post or pm a url, and if needed a test account?

-[Unknown]

stonydell

sure thing!

hxxp:www.leafobsession.com/forums [nonactive]

user:  testuser
pwd:  testuser

Oldiesmann

Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

stonydell

well dang... that did it... THANK YOU!

i had the "public_html" directory in there b/c that's the actual directory in on my server... used by the hosting provider to provide extra security ... or something.  i dont know enough about server-side stuff to explain it but i'm sure someone here does and would understand.

anyhow, thank you so very much for helping me out!!!

Oldiesmann

Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

EG

the public_html directory is just the root directory ... if youre using http:// in front of the url, you dont need that there.... or if youre referencing from a file from within the substructure of the directories... you can just point it to the directories themselves.

most times you dont need to reference public_html

basically beacuse of this link in the settings.php file

$boarddir = '/home/youradminloginname/public_html/forum'

Advertisement: