News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

500 Internal server error

Started by $hawn, November 22, 2007, 07:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

$hawn

I get this when:
-Installing theme
-Installing mods
-Backing up/compressing forum structure

I'm running SMF 1.1.4  on free x10hosting(adfree)

One of my devlopment team says it is most likly MySQL. I really don't want to re-install SMF for the forth time within 24 hours. Could someone come take a look?

Rumbaar

Most likely an over subscribed server can't handle the traffic.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

$hawn

Well, all I have on it is SMF, so I don't see how that is possiblke. Other then re-installing, what can i do?

Ol' Wombat

can happen when server access rights (in your web space) are messed up - not really anything to do with SMF in that case.

maybe htaccess spoiled?

$hawn

it's all fixed up, aside from the whole 'theme directories are wrong' when they aren;t, but are on another host. That's not a big deal. I was just wondering...if someone could help me with my forum, by moding my two other themes to work with mods.

Rumbaar

Well when you say 'you only have SMF', that might be the case for your.  But most likely your account is sitting on a server that services a number of other people for their web sites as well.  When I said over subscribed I meant there might be too many people trying to hit that same shared resource.  It has nothing, well technically it does, to do with what you have on yours in particular.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

$hawn

Alright, well thanks for the help. I'm now hosting SMF on two hosts, so as long as one of them doesn't crash. I'm just glad i've got stuff working.

The only problem I have now is. I installed AA New Damage and Outline theme, and they both weren't displaying correctly, what can I do? I can get a picture if you need one.

Rumbaar

Check to see if all your paths are correct in your theme settings.  If you are moving between host you need repair_settings.php and check theme configuration paths.

[ Themes ]

$hawn

Well, I'm running some things off too hosts. The themes are on my X10 hosting, as well as avatars(which aren't showing). I've tried to bring the theme urls over to my freehostia, but when I change the top one "This theme's URL:" it messes up and the theme has like, no CSS or anything, it's just white background with some images.

EDIT: Problem Solved,thanks
EDIT: How do I make prefixes for usernames? like make a username bold, or put an image b4 a username?

Rumbaar

Bold you be adding the <b></b> around the username link in the Display.template.php file.  For the image b4 name try:
Personal Icons 2.0

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: