Securing The Newly created Forum

Started by Old Lynx, November 23, 2007, 05:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman's Mixen

Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

Old Lynx

Ohh right, thanks :)

Now onto something a little harder

How do I re-size my forum ??? I don't want it to take the whole width of my monitor !!!

Herman's Mixen

well in the default theme look into style.css and search for this code

/* The main body of the entire forum. */
body
{
background-color: #E5E5E8;
margin: 0px;
padding: 12px 30px 4px 30px;
}

the value 30 is for the left and right positions set them too 100 or someting and you see  ;D

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Ol' Wombat

there is another mod which works in IE as well

index.template.php solutions for any theme

To set your % width for any of the three packaged themes (taking IE 5 and 5.5 into account), add this straight after the <body> tag in the relevant index.template.php:

Code:

<div style="text-align: center;"><div style="width: 70%; margin: auto; text-align: left;">

And this just before the </body> tag:

Code:

</div></div>

Old Lynx

The Burglar's Method of re-sizing seemed easier so I went with that, and it WORKED !!

Thanks a lot Burglar :)

Now moving onto another problem

When people go to [www.mydomain.com] I want them to be automaticly transfered to [www.mydomain.com/forum]

How do I do that ??

Old Lynx

When people go to [www.mydomain.com] they see two folders, one of these folders is called [forum] if they click on that, THEN they get into the forum. I don't want that............ I want them to be automaticly transfered to [www.mydomain.com/forum] when they go to [www.mydomain.com]

Someone please help

Old Lynx

Herman's Mixen

well make an index.php in your root with code like this

<?php
header
'Location: http://www.yoursite.com/forum' ) ;
?>

Old Lynx

Cool that worked really well, Thanks Burglar

There isn't any security related issures with doing this step are there ??

Herman's Mixen

no this is pure an redirect to the location

Old Lynx

Cool thanks :)

Can you please tell me what the maximum dimensions of Avatars are ??

thanks

Old Lynx

I am posting from work, and here they have 17" monitors

I go to my site and the whole thing looks so squashed :(

What do I do to make my forum take up 80% of the width of the monitor ??

Help :(

Herman's Mixen

avatar dimensions i should say maximum of 100x100 px....

don't know wich browsers u are using there but best way to check with firefox/opera and as personal opinion avoid IE  ;D

Old Lynx

but I like IE :(

What do I do to make my browser take up 80% of the width of the monitor (on all sizes of monitors). so if a guy has a 17" monitor, my forum will still take 80% of the monitor width

Help please

Herman's Mixen

in that case you need to play along with these values in my previous post so i said make value's 30px about 100px so try 125 or 150px for each 30px  ;D

Advertisement: