PayPal won't allow subscriptions. Other methods?

Started by jmayne, December 08, 2007, 05:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmayne

SMF Version: SMF 1.1.4
I have the paid subscriptions mod installed, but PayPal won't allow subscriptions.  Any other ideas?  Anything better than PayPal?

jmayne

Thanks for the Google search link.  I was hoping that someone might recommend a merchant they have used with SMF.  I can do the Google research. I was just checking to see if I was the first person to run into the PayPal subscription issue.  And if not, someone might mention who they used.

H

Is this a recent thing? Paypal certainly used to allow recurring payments ::)

I think Douglas uses Authorise.net on one of his sites but I don't know how he has it integrated.
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

vbgamer45

PayPal still has subscriptions. What error are you having? And are you using a PayPal business account might be required not sure though.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

jmayne

Sorry.  PayPal does allow subscriptions.  But only if your subscriber has or opens a PayPal account.  I was trying to avoid that.  My assumption is that conversion rate for new subscribers would be negatively affected.  So, I was trying to see if there was another way.

Thanks

dhoodle

Is there a way to allow ccbill or such to be used instead of paypal ?

Oldiesmann

You would need to add a new IPN for ccbill - talk to Grudge if you need help with that.

Paypal does let you accept payments in any currency - when you receive a payment in a currency other than the one you've set as default, Paypal gives you two options - either convert it to your default currency, or create a balance in the new currency.

I'm not sure what you mean by the conversion rate would be negatively affected.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

jmayne

I was concerned because PayPal says that in order to use them for subscriptions, the customer has to open a PayPal account.  I am of the belief that my customers will be less likely to subscribe if they have to go through the hassle and the process of opening a PayPal account.  That's what I was referring to when I said conversion - converting non customers to customers.

My choices however, are limited so I've chosen to go with PayPal anyway.

I did not know that PayPal accepted payments in any currency.  That's good to know.  Thank you.  You are always very helpful.

Advertisement: