PHPBB3 comparisons inaccurate?

Started by TestMonkey, December 13, 2007, 01:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weightman

QuoteMy understanding is that a simple change to the CSS to float it left will change it to be on the left.  (I don't like it on the right, either.)  That's the advantage of a CSS-based layout versus a tabled layout.

That does indeed sound like a significant capability. It will be nice when SMF does their code revisions to accomplish this and produce superior html, etc that has been discussed.

Competition is good, as is choice.

redone

I disagree on the common statement made about exploits in phpBB. Back when I used to help out with a few phpBB boards most of them were exploited because they did not have the current release of phpBB and were running old versions.

That can happen when you are running any script including SMF. A comparison list will always have its advantages and disadvantages but the fact that members of the phpBB team came here and expressed interest in correcting mistakes says a lot.

Let's continue to keep it respectful and congratulations on your release.

:)

Sverre

I see no harm whatsoever in phpBB using a comparison chart to promote their software - it's a very common and widely used marketing tool. Even though they've tried to balance it a bit by adding a few feature not found in phpBB3, it will always be very apparent that it's based on phpBB3's feature set, and depending on what type of users they want to attract, that's their right/problem...

Chriss Cohn

Quote from: NeoThermic link=topic=210868.msg1342617#msg1342617
Sure. It was done by
url=http://www.sektioneins.de/content/en.4004.24.28502.content2.html]SektionEins[/url] (to be pedantic, by Stefan Esser himself). It was done on the 15.10.07, with a copy of RC5, which resulted in the RC6/7 release.

If the name Stefan Esser didn't ring any bells, he's the guy who used to run the security for PHP itself. He then started up the
hardened-php project. I'm of the opinion that you couldn't choose anyone better for the task.

NeoThermic
Yes you can indeed be very proud of it! He also the guy with this blog:
http://blog.php-security.org/

I also like it to see how both "competitors" discussing here together.... and PHPBB3 looks good IMHO, especially woth the templates who has the user-information above the post...

Nevertheless i stick with SMF, as i never see such a great forums-script so secure and without any high server-usage.

Regards, Christian

Advertisement: