News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

smf_log_topics table HUGE (can't upgrade!)

Started by digit, December 21, 2007, 06:48:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Quote from: Kimmie on June 29, 2010, 03:40:33 PM
do we need to throw our site into maintenance mode before running this or can we leave it open?

I didn't, and nothing bad happened :)

SMF 2.0 RC5

Webhost to New Webhost file transfer service, PM me - Fast transfers

R.Bourne

Thanks for the script.

FWIW, I've added it as cron job to run once a month :P

polowest

Hi,
i try to load the script 1.1.x_inactiveusers_markallboardsread.php on my forum,
but the server report this error:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Why?

Regards.

青山 素子

Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

IvoLeite

Hello  :) .

I've used this tool several times and I think it's very usefull, althought I can't use right now. When I try to used, it redirects to the SMF community (this forum). I've tried both versions with the same result. I've the SMF 2.0 RC4.

Can someone help me? Tks.

willerby

I'd like to use this for 2.0RC4 but unsure given above post... will it work (don't want to try on a live site!!)
What type of washing machine is September?

An autumnatic. :)

RobertMfromLI

Quote from: laetabi on January 20, 2011, 05:20:20 PM
I'd like to use this for 2.0RC4 but unsure given above post... will it work (don't want to try on a live site!!)

I'm running it on v2.0rc4. It is taking very long on this version of SMF, and I've had to change it to one member at a time. We have roughly 115,000 posts and 10,000 members. On some, it "flew" through them, but then on others, it would take 10-20 times the amount of time.

Star Trek New Voyages: Kirk's Five Year Mission Continues
Line Producer - Webmaster - Forum Admin - Contributing Producer - Gaffer

Star Trek Phase 2 - Enemy: Starfleet Released!

willerby

Worked extremely well on 2.0 RC4 on a forum with 4500 members. Thanks all.

Completed 50 members at a time, with 30 days set for inactive users and script ran in less than five minutes
What type of washing machine is September?

An autumnatic. :)

orlandoryo

I know it says 2.x but just wanted to make sure so... what about RC5?

_Ziggy_

Quote from: orlandoryo on March 19, 2011, 11:49:28 PM
I know it says 2.x but just wanted to make sure so... what about RC5?

Works great on my RC5 forums!!!

Thanks Karlbenson!!!
Bluesforum.com   2.0                     Bluesforum.nl   2.0
Rockabilly-forum.com   2.0              Bluesharp.nl   2.0
Bungalowpark-forum.nl   2.0        Eee pad forum   2.01
Cristiano Ronaldo   2.02              Lockout Tagout   2.02

Looking to buy existing forums, send pm.

samurai-lupin

Hello guys,

I need a cheap oppinion what happened to my tables ... as they almost became twice the size after having run the script?!

I thought it would be a good idea to run the mark topics read script for inactive users. Before I run it I had these tables sizes:

49 MB - /var/lib/mysql/atanua_boards/smf_log_boards.ibd
45 MB - /var/lib/mysql/atanua_boards/smf_log_mark_read.ibd

AFTER having run the script they are now at:

70,6M - /var/lib/mysql/atanua_boards/smf_log_boards.ibd
60,6M - /var/lib/mysql/atanua_boards/smf_log_mark_read.ibd

I was hoping to downsize my tables instead of making them grow!? Did I get this wrong?

Thanks

Something like that

InnoDB table space never shrinks. If you do an operation that ends up expanding the table space, the only way to shrink the space is to delete and re-create the table (or convert to MyISAM and back).

青山 素子

Quote from: samurai-lupin on June 24, 2011, 04:03:38 PM
I was hoping to downsize my tables instead of making them grow!? Did I get this wrong?

If you have a lot of inactive users that never view the board and a lot of topics and boards, your table size will increase as those users will now have entries in your database where they wouldn't before. For larger forums with lots of topics, you might see a size decrease, but the average forum will likely have no or even negative benefit.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

samurai-lupin

Hm, thank you for your replies. I do not understand then why it is explicitly recomended to use this script in the "24 Things" Topic when it will have negative impact on most boards. As far as I am concerned I now ended up with  the opposite that I had intended.

Is there a way to juist drop the entries from the log_topics, log_boards tables?

DeepBlueGXP

I get this error when trying to run this on SMF 1.1.14

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache mod_fcgid/2.3.6 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.kappaperformance.com Port 80

Illori

h78509

Quote from: samurai-lupin on June 25, 2011, 10:02:57 AM
Hm, thank you for your replies. I do not understand then why it is explicitly recomended to use this script in the "24 Things" Topic when it will have negative impact on most boards. As far as I am concerned I now ended up with  the opposite that I had intended.

Is there a way to juist drop the entries from the log_topics, log_boards tables?
Same thing happened to me. I don't understand why there are no BIG RED LETTERS as a warning that this script could likely hurt the performance, not improve it.

Also, I'd like to ask the same question you just did.

Mayhem30

Quote from: R.Bourne on August 16, 2010, 09:43:43 PM
Thanks for the script.

FWIW, I've added it as cron job to run once a month :P

I thought you could only run this in a web browser .. am I wrong?

Illori

since php is a process you can run in the commandline you can setup a cron job to run the script automatically.

Advertisement: