News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Problem with INCREDIBLY slow mysql queries

Started by bob, December 10, 2004, 03:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob

I just updated this forum hxxp:yabb.jriver.com/interact [nonactive] from yabbse 1.5 to SMF 1.0rc2. SE was working well but I was concerned about future security risks. The upgrade went well for the most part but I'm getting some seemingly random LONG pauses, like a minute or so ocassionally. This wasn't a problem with SE. I turned on the slow-queries log in mysql and am seeing stuff like the following in it:

# Query_time: 58  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 0  Rows_examined: 167349

INSERT INTO interact_matches
                                        SELECT DISTINCT hxxp:t.id [nonactive]_TOPIC, hxxp:t.id [nonactive]_FIRST_MSG, t.numReplies, 0 AS is_subject
                                        FROM interact_topics AS t, interact_messages AS m
                                        WHERE hxxp:t.id [nonactive]_TOPIC = hxxp:m.id [nonactive]_TOPIC
                                                AND hxxp:m.id [nonactive]_BOARD IN (2, 3)
                                                AND m.body RLIKE '[[:<:]]install[[:>:]]';

I believe this means 58 SECONDS on the query which would appear to match what I'm seeing.

This is running on an AIX box with MySQL 3.23.58-Max-log, same as what SE was using. 
Forum Stats      
Total Topics: 24604      Total Posts: 170636
DNS resolution is off everywhere.

Any ideas about what could be causing this hesitation??

Grudge

I believe it's that you are using MySQL 3 and SMF is optimised for version 4. The actual problem is in the search which would be consistant. I believe RC2 has an option in "Feature Settings and Options" to disable caching is results, so turn this off
I'm only a half geek really...

[Unknown]

You may want to turn off the option to do "whole word search" under "Search" options.  It will perform better.

I also recommend upgrading to MySQL 4 if at all possible.

SELECT DISTINCT t.ID_TOPIC, t.ID_FIRST_MSG, t.numReplies, 0 AS is_subject
FROM interact_topics AS t, interact_messages AS m
WHERE t.ID_TOPIC = m.ID_TOPIC
        AND m.ID_BOARD IN (2, 3)
        AND m.body RLIKE '[[:<:]]install[[:>:]]';

Thinking out loud, I wonder if an index on both ID_BOARD and ID_TOPIC would help this query?  Probably not much, because we have body in there anyway...

-[Unknown]

bob

I did both of the suggestions and it seems like everything is ok for now. I've got other stuff on that mysql server so I'm not hurrying to install version 4 yet....

Advertisement: