Collecting my thoughts before the trip begins

Started by codenaught, December 26, 2007, 11:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codenaught

Hello folks! Hello indeed!

Could I say I am excited? I could...but that would be very much an understatement. The nerves are kicking in like a giant bolt of lightning. So this is it, I am finally meeting many of the geeks behind the project. My fellow dear co-workers. I look forward especially to building friendships with some team members who I perhaps don't talk to too much right now and of course putting an actual face behind the ones I do chat with a lot. Of course I look forward to meeting Jay, we are so tight with each other it seems. :P

Compose I shall, a list of the essential things I need to bring with me:

• My dear love...my laptop. :-*
  • Power adapter that gives my love her source of energy.
  • My dear brain, sanity, lovely charm, wit and personality...;)
  • Nintendo DS (For the plane ride)
  • My ID
  • My debit card
  • A small 8 year old handheld PC (It was given to my brother recently).
  • Gamecube controller (Someone is bringing a Wii so I agreed to bring an extra controller :D)
  • Clothes, clothes and more clothes (Shirts, Pants, Boxers, Pink robe :D)
  • Wireless router
  • Cellphone
  • Zen MP3 player
  • Digital Camera (I will have some studly pics taken of me ;))
  • Carry-on + Suitcase (No...really? ;))
  • Little journal to record thoughts, experiences, etc
  • My mojo!
  • A few books
  • Deodorant and stuff like that

For fun, I thought it would be interesting to note things I expect from the trip before it begins that I can directly compare with after the trip is over.

December 26, 2007 (Predictions for trip)

• Will the team members that attend be extremely geeky?
    You bet your horses they will be geeky. They will make me look a total jock when standing in front of them. :P
  • What will the weather be like?
    Hooooot, in particularly compared to where I currently am.
  • How much time will you spend on the computer?
    Hopefully not too much time! But I do want to pop online to this forum a few times a day.
  • Person you will have the best conversation with?
    Probably good ol' Jay. :) I want to ask him for advice on girls. Maybe he will pretend to be a girl (throw on a wig and talk in a high pitch voice) and I can have a conversation with her, Juanita. ;) (KIDDING OF COURSE :D)
  • The Grand Canyons, just how awesome will that be?
    You know I expect it to be pretty awesome, but seeing it in person will probably be a experience I will have to be there for to get the full scope of her beauty. :)
  • Going to meet any lovely Western girls?
    Me? :P Nope! I think I will stick to the lovely pool of girls NY has to offer. :)
  • Am I going to leave as a changed man?
    Wouldn't that be interesting if that happened! I do expect to work on my social skills while I am there and so we will see if the experience does anything for me. :)
  • Will a lot of important stuff and good discussion occur from the actual meetings?
    No doubt in my mind it will be productive. There are just certain advantages to having face to face encounters that computer communication just can't offer quite as well.
  • Will each of the roommates you have throughout the trip freak you out?
    Yeah...probably. :D

And that is all from me for now! Shortly after the trip begins I plan to write almost daily blog entries of the trip. So sit back, grab some popcorn, and enjoy the show. :) Cheers for the MotM! May it be the experience of a lifetime for me and all the members attending!

-akabugeyes
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

JayBachatero

LOL only you aka, only you.  I need to start getting ready as well.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

codenaught

Only me indeed. Only good old Jack would craft such a beautiful piece of writing! I have a rather twisted sense of personality I suppose. ;) All those nights doing all nighters in front of the computer, programming software and all loaded up with Mountain Dew is to blame for my insanity, I kid of course, I've never done an "all nighter," how geeky would that be :D? I am not that weird in person though, I will prove that to you despite the doubts I hear in your head right now. ;)

* akabugeyes mutters something about how he needs to get a girlfriend, needs to play football in college, and play the guitar to offset all the madness that SMF has brought upon him since 2004. :-X

Yeah that's right...I blame SMF. SleePy can keep blaming Grudge for everything, but I blame SMF for my life's problems. Heck, I'll blame it for all the problems of this world! Feeling a bit...weirder...now...if that is even possible!

Darn it, it's getting late! I got to run some errands and then get some sleep!
Dev Consultant

shadow82x

aka - Did you have any sugar today? :P :P

excitment + sugar + aka + MotM + SMF = oh my god!!!←$±♪♭#^°∞∴™

Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

codenaught

Quote from: shadow82x on December 27, 2007, 02:14:10 AM
aka - Did you have any sugar today? :P :P

excitment + sugar + aka + MotM + SMF = oh my god!!!←$±♪♭#^°∞∴™

Sugar? Coffee...Mountain Dew...A few mini Recess cups + mini Snickers bars. Yeah a little. :P But at the time of the post I had settled myself down to Coke Zero and the sugar was starting to leave my system. ;) So I was running mainly off my excitement I suppose.

Wow, so in under 24 hours I am outta here!  :-X

Dev Consultant

SleePy

Quote from: akabugeyes on December 27, 2007, 11:40:46 AM
Wow, so in under 24 hours I am outta here!  :-X

Finally... You will be out of here. A buggy free day ;D
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

HoTmetal

Wow aka... was it sugar or crack... If Jay wears the wig 1st will you wear it next?
If so I promise to take pictures of both... If not I'll cut and paste with Photoshop and lie about it...
hehehehe... Oh, did I say lie, I meant I'll embellish on the truth...

I didn't know you and your laptop had such a close relationship, what's her name?

H

-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

codenaught

A buggy free day indeed...let me know what that's like. :)

rickC, it's all sugar for me. Drugs are bad, mkay? ;) And no photoshopping such nonsense. :P I am quite sure you will get plenty of hilarious pics of me without the need to edit them! As for my laptop's name? Right now it is Jack :P. I got to come up with some awesome name to name her, maybe you can help me when I see you in person.

Thanks H! If I don't, I will blame it on Jay...
Dev Consultant

Gary

HOMER: Give your laptop a name.
BART: Mr. Laptop.
HOMER: Wanna try a bit harder son? C'mon give it a girls name.
BART: Mom...
HOMER: Your laptops name is Charlene.
BART: Why?
HOMER: It just is thats why. Now here's a picture of your enemy, JayBachatero. I want you to spend 15 minutes staring at it and how much you hate him. And what a glorious day it will be when you and Charlene annihilate him!
BART: Who's Charlene?
HOMER: I'LL SHOW YOU WHO CHARLENE IS!

Sorry, that just slipped out. :P
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Fiery

Have fun.

Just so you know I am not too geeky.

Advertisement: