News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Old Invision 1.0.1 sql archive to SMF?

Started by kirax2, January 01, 2008, 01:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirax2

Hi there. In late 2004-early 2005 I participated in a forum-based roleplaying game run on an IPB version 1.0.1 forum. When the board was taken down I got the site owner to make me an SQL backup of the forum. Recently I purchased some web space to run my own website on, and it comes with unlimited MySQL databases.  I would like to set up a forum on this site and restore the sql database to it, then make it read-only since it would be up purely for archive purposes.  I'd like to use SMF since IPB is no longer free.  However, I've run into a snag: the SMF converter only works for a live forum, and won't convert from an sql file.  I've looked for a copy of the last free Invision, but it's no longer available anywhere.

Would it be possible to restore the sql archive directly and convert it to SMF without installing the IPB software?  Or is there another solution anyone can suggest?  I'd really appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks very much,
-kirax2

SleePy

The converter only really needs the configuration/config/settings files the forum uses. The problem with what you are trying to do is the version, it is so old that I am guessing many database changes have occurred since then and could be an issue in a successful convert.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Advertisement: