News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

reCAPTCHA for SMF

Started by 青山 素子, December 28, 2007, 12:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

effex

Great mod!

I couldn't get it to install automatically, but the the manual install was quick and painless. Thanks for this!

Insight

The test on Themes/Default/Register.Template.php failed :(

Running 1.1.12

DrBermant

Quote from: demonoid on December 09, 2010, 10:26:29 AM
Would someone be so kind to give me IPs which one must be set on hosting as allowed for outgoing connection (the ones that recaptcha uses).

I now recive an "could not open socket" message, so after reading this forum means for me that I must allow some IPs in outgoing manager on my hosting.

Can someone please help with these ips?

Thank you very much.

Where does the error appear. I installed the mod, it seems to work on test accounts. I did have one account sign on, but I have noted several registering for account messages but they never completed the process. Either they were bots that failed or the recaptia version was blocked. Is there a log on my server that would give a clue if the process is working or failing due to some process. Was the error message sent by a user who could not log onto the forum.

My forum is just starting out so I am not yet submerged by bots, but I do not want to discourage real posters.

Michael Bermant, M.D.
Board Certified
American Board Plastic Surgery
Plastic Surgery Encyclopedia
A Body Beautiful Plastic Surgery Forum

青山 素子

Quote from: DrBermant on December 26, 2010, 11:32:02 AM
Where does the error appear. I installed the mod, it seems to work on test accounts. I did have one account sign on, but I have noted several registering for account messages but they never completed the process. Either they were bots that failed or the recaptia version was blocked. Is there a log on my server that would give a clue if the process is working or failing due to some process. Was the error message sent by a user who could not log onto the forum.

The "cannot open socket" error message would display where the reCAPTCHA box would normally be. You can do a simple test by enabling it for registration and then logging out. Once logged out, go to the registration page. If you see the box, then that error isn't a concern for you.

Please note that as reCAPTCHA is an external service, it may be subject to some downtime. I personally haven't seen any (the current owner, Google, keeps very good uptime), but it is something to be aware of.

My forum is just starting out so I am not yet submerged by bots, but I do not want to discourage real posters.

I highly encourage you to use the registration questions along with this modification. Many automated tools are now using humans to solve things like reCAPTCHA. The registration questions feature is built-in for the 2.0 series and available as a modification for the 1.1 series.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

DrBermant

Quote from: 青山 素子 on December 26, 2010, 01:37:31 PM

The "cannot open socket" error message would display where the reCAPTCHA box would normally be. You can do a simple test by enabling it for registration and then logging out. Once logged out, go to the registration page. If you see the box, then that error isn't a concern for you.

Please note that as reCAPTCHA is an external service, it may be subject to some downtime. I personally haven't seen any (the current owner, Google, keeps very good uptime), but it is something to be aware of.

Thank you, I am aware that the user logging in would see that message. I have tried using several dummy accounts and have never seen the message. I was wondering if there was an error log on the server like the adm error section or if the error log would show up on deeper logs on my server.

What I am trying to explain is what I see while watching who is online. I see the message registering for an account, but then no new person shows up. This is not happening when I try to log in myself, it is only something I report seeing while snooping on what is happening on my site's early progress. My guess is that these are people that just decide not to register or robots. Today I turned off the reCaptcha and was still seeing the same phenomena. So it is either a robot or someone not wanting to finish the process of creating an account.

I was still looking for a method of proving my theory and if an error log existed that I could look at, it would add security in my analysis.

I highly encourage you to use the registration questions along with this modification. Many automated tools are now using humans to solve things like reCAPTCHA. The registration questions feature is built-in for the 2.0 series and available as a modification for the 1.1 series.

I will look into that option.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. You have designed a great mod.

Michael Bermant, MD
Board Certified
American Board Plastic Surgery
Plastic Surgery Encyclopedia
A Body Beautiful Plastic Surgery Forum

smoothedit

Hey there - firstly thanks for the superb package.

I am having an issue with new registrations, after filling in the forum and reCaptcha details, the new user clicks next and gets:

Error has Occured
You Do not have permission to access this page.

Any ideas? I have deactivated reCaptcha for the moment and all registrations work perfectly?

Using RC4 with no other registration packages, and no special welcome screen...

Many thanks in advance for your assistance! Would be very greatful if anyone could help.

青山 素子

That's odd. I'll have to run some tests when I get a chance to see if I can reproduce the issue.
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

eyo

i cant see it in admin, it seemed to install flawlessly though
admin--->members------->registration

you have any screenshots of where i can find this?

青山 素子

It's in the Anti-Spam section on SMF 2.
Motoko-chan

eyo

oh nice. thanks.

i got avatar registration and some other option like some default image verification stuff, do i disable everything or does the recaptcha just enhance what i already got?

青山 素子

It replaces the built-in image authentication.
Motoko-chan

eyo

what would you suggest i pair the recaptcha mod with? i disabled the old captcha and added 1 question and disabled the image verification, now i get 2 spammers just waiting for the forum to be active lol.  i didnt have these types before, what would you suggest?

gallitin

When will rc4 version be available?

Thanks
-gall

青山 素子

As soon as I can get to it. Life is fairly hectic for me and has been for some time due to family issues. I wanted to get everything done over the work holiday, but the family issues prevented such.
Motoko-chan

gallitin

Ok cool, thanks for the update.
-gall

JBlaze

This will work on RC4 no problem. Just use the version_emulate feature in the admin panel to emulate RC3 so it can install, or you can modify the package itself to include RC4.

Proof: http://xboxleaders.com/contact/
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

AllMassive

Since i use this mod i get plenty of bots registering on my forum - is there any way to raise the image-security `?

Arantor

Nope, it's entirely set by ReCAPTCHA, and in any case the bots that can solve ReCAPTCHA either farm the image out to CAPTCHA-solving farms (where folks are paid $1 per 1000 solved, for example) or they use the audio which is substantially easier to solve programmatically.

青山 素子

Quote from: AllMassive on January 09, 2011, 10:33:08 AM
Since i use this mod i get plenty of bots registering on my forum - is there any way to raise the image-security `?

As IncognitoMuse mentioned, the complexity is defined by the service provider for reCAPTCHA. I highly advise using this in combination with the registration questions feature of SMF 2, or the backported modification that allows the same feature for SMF 1.1.
Motoko-chan

Masterd

You don't need to use the registration questions. I'm using this with Stop Spammer mod. What is better? This mod or Arantor Captcha?

Advertisement: