Before installing the Mambo - SMF Bridge...

Started by AlphaWolf, December 13, 2004, 04:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlphaWolf

Howdy

I've downloaded the bridge, read the multiple read mes, and am left with one question - Do I install the bridge AFTER a clean install of Mambo but BEFORE a clean install of SMF?  This is assumign that we definitely need a "one point of login".

Someone said somewhere about it being best to have both apps use the same database...and about installing SMF in a sub directory under the mambo install.  But it is unclear if this is required or just a preferred way of doing this.

thanks

Wolf
http://www.alphaone-tech.com AlphaOne Web Hosting & Design

Orstio

You must have both Mambo and SMF installed before installing the bridge.  Neither of them has to be empty.  You can bridge an existing Mambo with an existing SMF, regardless of how much content already exists.

Putting both sets of tables in the same database is no longer required with the latest version, but you may need some minor code fixes (They will be in future versions to avoid confusion).

SMF does not have to be in a subdirectory of Mambo.  SMF and Mambo must be on the same server, but that's all.

spikeswife

I'm also in the midst of trying to install the bridge. Can you tell me what directory to upload the bridge files to?  I've searched the readme files and the "documentation" repeatedly and can not decide whether to load the files into the main MOS directory, the components folder, the modules folder or and entirely separate folder altogether.  Sorry to sound like a dummy, but I don't want to mess this up.  Thanks.

Orstio

Go to your Mambo admin panel, and install com_smf and com_smf_registration as components.  If you use Mambo's installer, you will not need to uploadfiles anywhere for these.

Install mod_smf_login as a module. For this module, you will need to upload the file MOS_SMF.php to your SMF Sources directory.

AlphaWolf

Quote from: Orstio on December 13, 2004, 05:01:01 PM
You must have both Mambo and SMF installed before installing the bridge.  Neither of them has to be empty.  You can bridge an existing Mambo with an existing SMF, regardless of how much content already exists.

Putting both sets of tables in the same database is no longer required with the latest version, but you may need some minor code fixes (They will be in future versions to avoid confusion).

SMF does not have to be in a subdirectory of Mambo.  SMF and Mambo must be on the same server, but that's all.

Thanks Orstio!

I am assuming the code changes are listed in the readme files? (praying they are...chuckle)

peace

Wolf
http://www.alphaone-tech.com AlphaOne Web Hosting & Design

spikeswife

I can't find any files titled "com_smf" and "com_smf_registration" in the bridge download and there seem to be only directories vaguely titled similarly.  What, exactly, do I try to upload and install in the components section.  All I get are various errors.  Are there step-by-step instructions available so I don't have to keep bugging you for help?  Also, after unzipping, there are additional zipped files within the directories.  Should those be unzipped individually?

Kindred

There are directories labeled 4.51 and RC2...  com_smf and com_smf_registration are zip files inside those directories.

The files (except for mod_smf_login) do not have to be unzipped (and should not be)
Mambo takes the ZIP file from your local machine, unzips, reads & parses the install instructions and performs the install.

The login module is in the universal directory and needs to be unzipped (there's a zip inside the zip), MOS_SMF.php should be uploaded to your SMF/Sources diretory by hand, and then the module can be installed from the secondary zip file.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

spikeswife

Thanks, Guys, I got it all installed - correctly, I believe... I'm having a bit of difficulty with the execution of the whole product, though.  I can't login through the Mambo portal - it doesn't recognize my alternate ID.  Also, my forum is loading below the main menu (looks terrible) and it's all in large type - so big it's stretched out way beyond the size it should be.

Orstio

QuoteI can't login through the Mambo portal - it doesn't recognize my alternate ID.

Does this alternate ID exist in SMF?  It will have to.  Also, the password in SMF will have to be identical to the Mambo password.

QuoteAlso, my forum is loading below the main menu (looks terrible) and it's all in large type - so big it's stretched out way beyond the size it should be.

That is a problem with the Solar Flare template.  That is one of the worst Mambo templates I have seen.  I recommend templates by PeekMambo, which are clean, simple, and show everything where you want it shown.  The large type can be fixed by editing your SMF theme, and changing the doctype from xhtml to html.

spikeswife

Thanks, Orstio! Your replies are always so clear and easy to understand.  I'll look into a better template.

Advertisement: