News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Database Changes in SMF 2.0 - Part 2

Started by Grudge, January 11, 2008, 10:57:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grudge

Yes, the way for retrieving data is the same - only the way for doing a query is different. The other main change is that db_insert_id needs to be passed the table name and primary column to allow it to work on PostgreSQL, i.e:

$topicID = $smfFunc['db_insert_id']('{db_prefix}topics', 'id_topic');
I'm only a half geek really...

Dannii

Okay thanks.
Can I ask what we should use instead of mysql_num_rows()?
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Thantos

$smfFunc['db_num_rows']()

For the most part you can take any mysql_* or db_* function and it'll follow the $smfFunc['db_*'] format.  I can't think of any exceptions off the top of my head.

Sarge

Great post! Very well written and relatively easy to understand.

Mod authors and people who plan to integrate SMF 2.0 via SSI etc. should definitely check this out when SMF 2.0 comes out.

Please do not PM me with support requests unless I invite you to.

http://www.zeriyt.com/   ~   http://www.galeriashqiptare.net/

<H> I had zero posts when I started posting

Nao 尚

Single quotes are not allowed in queries....... Okay... But are double quotes allowed?
I've converted some stuff to the latest version and it uses a lot of queries with strings, so I just left them as they were, just replacing single quotes with double quotes, and double quotes with single quotes.

Something like,

$smfFunc['db_query']('', 'SELECT something FROM {db_prefix}hello WHERE stuff="' . $yo . '"');

I think it does work, though...
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Aeva Media rocks your life.

Thantos

Well you can simply change it to
$smfFunc['db_query']('', 'SELECT something FROM {db_prefix}hello WHERE stuff={string:yo}', array('yo' => $yo)); and then not have to worry about it.

Grudge

Not sure what the results of that would be Nao. MySQL normally expects strings to be enclosed in single quotes (In terms of mysql_real_escape_string etc) so you may end up getting odd results. Personally I'd just do as Thantos suggests...

Daniel15

Looking good, I'm gonna have to update my mods soon :D
As for $smfFunc['db_insert'], how long has that been there for? I never noticed it :o
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

Aaron

Quote from: Daniel15 on January 14, 2008, 01:55:46 AM
As for $smfFunc['db_insert'], how long has that been there for? I never noticed it :o

Since SMF 2.0 Alpha, if I recall correctly. It's been there for quite a while now, in any case. ;)

JayBachatero

That has been there since the early days of 2.0.  Back when the abstraction stuff started.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

Daniel15

Oh... My bad :P
I've been using SMF 2.0 since the Alpha, but never went through the abstraction code in great detail...
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

Nao 尚

Quote from: Grudge on January 13, 2008, 06:46:13 PM
Not sure what the results of that would be Nao. MySQL normally expects strings to be enclosed in single quotes (In terms of mysql_real_escape_string etc) so you may end up getting odd results.
Hmm that's curious indeed. Never had any problems since last week at least... (When the new format was introduced.)
And I do check most of my pages regularly.
I'll try to change these to the new format anyway, progressively at least.
I will also have to make sure my strings are not escaped before they're passed to db_query... Or maybe I should just use mysql_query for these, I don't know.
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

codenaught

I haven't personally yet did any code with the new query style yet, but from the looks of it it looks pretty nice and clean in my opinion. :) I love that it makes it more likely to be secure (lowers chances of an oversight). I've always been concerned myself about my mods having some hole in them. ;)
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

Nao 尚

Yeah... It's great, indeed. Takes a while to get used to, but it really makes the programmer feel better after a while ;)
And when you need speed, you can use the "security_disable" flag, or just rely on mysql_query (if you're using MySQL ;))... This is really good policy.

Apart from that $smfFunc['db_query']('you_bet') and then $smcFunc['db_query']('my_ass'), of course..........

ByLegenS

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

Thantos

See again, more proof that Earl > Bertie :P

Ben_S

Converted my custom stuff a few days back, the one that got me was {$db_prefix} to {db_prefix}, looked for ages and couldn't see where my error was coming from. As with most things leave it for an hour or so then come back and you spot it straight away.

Now it's just a shame I can't do the actual upgrade for a little while due to the amount of traffic I'm getting at the mo.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Grudge

Ben,

I have to say it's going to be a bit scary when you upgrade your site to SMF 2.0. I think it will be the first proper comparison of 2.0 vs 1.1 performance as your site probably runs up to 99% capacity so if SMF 2.0 is only 5% slower than 1.1 it's really going to show.

Will certainly be interesting :D

Sverre

Where's your confidence, man?!? :P

What would you do if it turns out there is a (significant) performance regression between 1.1x and 2.0?

Advertisement: