News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF doesn't work with PHP 4.3.10 ?

Started by Francisco, December 15, 2004, 05:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Francisco

Just wondering... My vBulletin and SMF broke after I compiled the new PHP, I had to go back to PHP 4.3.9

Thanks

Ben_S

Imagine you did something wrong then, there shouldn't be any big changes that would stop it working, it even works with php 5.x and that is a large change. If your vB stopped working then I imagine it's deffo a php config error, any error messages?
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Francisco

Quote from: Ben_S on December 15, 2004, 06:09:48 PM
Imagine you did something wrong then, there shouldn't be any big changes that would stop it working, it even works with php 5.x and that is a large change. If your vB stopped working then I imagine it's deffo a php config error, any error messages?

Here's an interesting thread on the vB forums you should read. I'm not the only one.
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?p=778458

Cheers

Ben_S

Interesting, did you get any error messages?

Will do some tests here and let you know how I get on.

[Unknown]

Holy junk, the PHP Development Team need to consider just going on with 4.4.x :P.  I can't believe there's already a 4.3.10.

I'll try to do some testing myself; the foreach speedups could have caused a problem.

-[Unknown]

Ben_S

Confirmed, will not run on php 4.3.10, just gives a blank screen, no error message.

View source only shows

Quote<html><body></body></html>

rhodges

Well, I also upgraded from 4.3.9 to 4.3.10.  I made only a slight change to the PHP configuration, adding the --with-mysql=/mysql-path (my 4.3.9 was just using the php mysql library).  I did the usual "make" and "make install" (as root).

And reloading my forum in my browser failed.  Hmmm...

Well, it seems that apache died when I installed PHP 4.3.10.  After restarting apache, everything works perfectly now.

So in my case, PHP 4.3.10 works perfectly with SMF 1.0 preview with almost no effort at all (maybe five minutes maximum).  For what it's worth  :)

Ben_S

Apache was deffinatly up here, was viewing a phpinfo page.

The thread on the vB board says it's caused by an old Zend optimizer, I'm using php accelerator, so I suppose it may be thats not compatable with the changes made :'(.

cleavers1066

Our host has just upgraded to 4.3.10 due to a serious security issue and we've lost all contact with SMF, others on our hosts support forums are complaining about IPB and b2evolution, so its not just SMF.

It looks like a php problem.

[Unknown]

Can I see a phpinfo.php for you, then?  I might be able to pick out what's causing the problems.

-[Unknown]

cleavers1066

Not sure where to look for that [Unknown], but our host is aware and is looking into the problem at the moment and will hopefully sort us out.

Let me know where to get phpinfo.php from and i'll post it so you can at least see what the issue is.

[Unknown]

Oh, sorry... I forget to give the link sometimes, I'm afraid.

What is phpinfo.php?

-[Unknown]

cleavers1066

Some suggestion on our support forum that its to do with the Zend optimizer.

Our host says they are backtracking to php 4.3.9 and then upgrading the zend stuf and then re-installing 4.3.10 after testing.

Hope thats useful but means nowt to me ;)

Ben_S

Quote from: Ben_S on December 16, 2004, 06:45:06 AMZend optimizer.
Quote from: cleavers1066 on December 16, 2004, 05:00:10 PM
Some suggestion on our support forum that its to do with the Zend optimizer.

You might want to tell your host to look at the bug tracker a php.net more often before upgrades as it's documented there.

Not sure what the serious security issue is as from what I can tell, there isn't one.

Ben_S

Quote from: Ben_S on December 16, 2004, 06:45:06 AM
I'm using php accelerator, so I suppose it may be thats not compatable with the changes made :'(.

An update to that, seems to work fine if you clear the cache dir.

[Unknown]

I borked this site yesterday for a couple hours, finally ended up fixing it by upgrading PHP to 4.3.10 and then also MMCache (which is what's used here...) - sigh.  But, this site's running 4.3.10 now.

-[Unknown]

balamm

No longer impressed with SMF developers or management.
POST DELETED!

Ben_S

Advertisement: