SMF Into The Depths - Documentation

Started by spaarks, January 16, 2008, 11:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaarks

The manual is very comprehensive for the Admin functions. However there seems to be a gap bewteen that and Into The Depths.

Yes I know it says you need "some knowledge of php" and a "good knowledge of HTML", so why not go and learn those. Well I'm sure they would be much easier to learn if you first knew what function they perform in SMF.

What is missing is a simple explanation of how SMF is all tied together—how PHP HTML MySQL and Templates all work together, including a few examples such as how a click on the forum goes through the system to the database and extracts and displays the information (assuming of course that it does!).

I realise it would take some time to write an amendment to the Online Manual, so how about publishing a draft edition here as a sticky and make it an ongoing project? Now there's a challenge for someone!

As someone who spent the first 20 years of my career sending and receiving Morse Code  ::) I'm ploughing slowly through XHTML and would like to start making a contribution to SMF (within the next 20) instead of asking daft questions  :-[ due to lack of basic knowledge!

Advertisement: