News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Don't spell check ALL CAPS words?

Started by [Unknown], December 18, 2004, 06:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[Unknown]

Should the spell checker ignore those words which are all caps?  For example:

NTFS LOL LMHO WAP IPB XHTML XSLT

Those all flag the spell checker, but they are spelled correctly.  Perhaps this should be an admin option?  Or just always ignore capped words?

Or is this a waste of time?

-[Unknown]

Peter Duggan

I'd go for it! But is it also possible to do something about single-quoted words (or is that not an SMF thing), because every word starting or ending with a single quote comes up as 'wrong'?

Alexandre P.

IMO, it should ignore every all caps words.
Aucun support par M.P., courriel ou messagerie instantanée / No support by P.M., email or I.M.

Elijah Bliss

Quote from: [Unknown] on December 18, 2004, 06:17:57 PM
Should the spell checker ignore those words which are all caps?  For example:

NTFS LOL LMHO WAP IPB XHTML XSLT

Those all flag the spell checker, but they are spelled correctly.  Perhaps this should be an admin option?  Or just always ignore capped words?

Or is this a waste of time?

-[Unknown]

Unfortunately I have a plethora of members who type in all caps that are in desperate need of a spell checker. If you did do this I'd like it to be an admin option.

Jerry

I think having it as an option would be a nice idea.

- Jerry
Find me on:
Facebook
Twitter
PlanetSMF

"If all you look for is the negative in things, you will never see the positive."

_complex

Yeah agree having it as an option would be nice :D

Anguz

Or maybe a way to add new correct terms to the dictionary? It'd be some work at the very beginning, but after a while, it won't need updating as often.
Cristián Lávaque http://cristianlavaque.com

[Unknown]

But what about "DIDT'N" or something, which would be correct capitalized (theoretically) but not lowercase?

-[Unknown]

Peter Duggan

Quote from: [Unknown] on December 19, 2004, 06:57:52 AM
But what about "DIDT'N" or something, which would be correct capitalized (theoretically) but not lowercase?

Didn't you mean "DIDN'T"?

[Unknown]

Quote from: Peter Duggan on December 19, 2004, 07:47:58 AM
Quote from: [Unknown] on December 19, 2004, 06:57:52 AM

Didn't you mean "DIDN'T"?

Exactly.  I meant "DIDT'N".... but, if I typed "didt'n" you'd be certain it was a typo.  I just mean that caps vs. lowercase is an important distinction.

-[Unknown]

programmer

I think it should definitely be an admin option.  That's what I love about SMF, it's so customizable.   :)

Oldiesmann

Admin option would be best. However, it would also be fun to convert messages posted in all caps to something a little less annoying by comparing the message with the strtoupper version of the message and if they're the same, do something mean like this:

convert the message to all lowercase (strtolower (or mb_strtolower for internationalization))
capitalize only the first letter of each word (convert the entire thing to lowercase, then use ucwords)
throw an error message at them and don't let them post until they fix it...
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

[Unknown]

The mb_str* functions, to my recollection, can be transparently used instead of the str* functions... not sure, but I think so...

-[Unknown]

Elijah Bliss

Quote from: Oldiesmann on December 19, 2004, 10:08:57 PM
Admin option would be best. However, it would also be fun to convert messages posted in all caps to something a little less annoying by comparing the message with the strtoupper version of the message and if they're the same, do something mean like this:

convert the message to all lowercase (strtolower (or mb_strtolower for internationalization))
capitalize only the first letter of each word (convert the entire thing to lowercase, then use ucwords)
throw an error message at them and don't let them post until they fix it...

I'd love to have that feature.

Advertisement: