News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Migration from simpleboard

Started by kochp, December 19, 2004, 02:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirby

thanks for the feedback...
ComposerRyan - you may change your display name via your profile settings ;)
tjay - i will get started on it whenever i can!

ComposerRyan

Hi Kirby,

Thank you so much for your response! :D  I didn't realize that the fix for my problems was THAT easy...so I appreciate your help.

So far, everything has been working perfectly and I am very excited to be using SMF now!  I cannot thank you enough for developing the converter for us, as it works perfectly so far!  THANK YOU! :D

Keep up the great work and your hard work, dedication, and devotion to this project is truly appreciated,

Ryan
Special Thanks to: Orstio, Simplemachines forums staff, and everyone who has helped me with any questions I have.

Kirby

thanks for the comment and you are very welcome ;)

boboxxx

Quote from: Kirby on January 31, 2005, 07:59:05 PM
I've attached a version without attachment or avatar conversion. Please report bugs!

Hello Kirby,
Thank you for your work on this. While I was waiting for a converter, I just named my simpleboard forum "Forum archive" and instructed users to begin using my simple machines forum from then on. I was just about to run the converter when I noticed the warning about the process deleting everything currently in my SMForum. In other words, I don't want to lose my all my new posts in my SMF, just bring the old posts in SB over to the current SMF. Am I understanding correctly that this can not be done?

Thanks! ;)

Kirby

at the moment, it is not possible, but it might be soon if an SMF + SMF script is made :)

S-B

Sweet...I finally got the forum working...thanks for the great work.

Kirby

crbatchelor

This forum won't let me download the attachment....  Could you please send me a direct link?

deejayh

Hi,

I have a subdomain where I have been testing and have already used the migration file - which works great.

I will be moving the whole site over to go live shortly.

I will need to run this again, but my problem is, I have new boards and a number of new posts on my temp SMF - will this overwrite everything?

Regards,
Dave
Regards,
Dave
Family History UK  - http://www.familyhistory.uk.com

Kirby

QuoteI will need to run this again, but my problem is, I have new boards and a number of new posts on my temp SMF - will this overwrite everything?
Yes.

QuoteThis forum won't let me download the attachment....  Could you please send me a direct link?
Odd... I can email it to you but I'm afraid I don't have it uploaded anywhere.

palik

great script but has one bug for me

i got forum with polish characters - should be in ISO-8859-2 but simpleboard uses Unicode to save these in mysql... so when i run conv script it makes lot of wrong characters instead of polish letters

this happens only to txt from mos_sb_messages_text table

any hints? i tried convert unicode entities to iso and then run script but its all the same :(
hxxp:shadowrun.rpg.pl [nonactive] Serwis RPG

[Unknown]

Use UTF-8 in your language files, then.

-[Unknown]

palik

hxxp:shadowrun.pro24.pl/smf/index.php?topic=1771.new;boardseen#new [nonactive]

thats what i see when i use UTF-8 - messages and topic names are wrong...

The problem is that simpleboard uses uniocode entities in messages_text table and normal (im my case iso-8559-2) encoding in rest of tables ... so when i use 8859-2 i got proper topic names and wrong post bodies...

i dont know how to handle this issue, but smf is so good that i want to use it in my mambo site so i will try to overcome this problem ... any other hints?

palik

well - i got it worked out but the process is really complex :D

REMEMBER - it is only for polish language and simpleboard issue!!! (read about it 3 posts above)

1. you make backup dump of your db tables - especially [prefix]_sb (simpleboard - e.g. mos_sb_)
2. rename your mos_sb_messages_text to sth else, e.g. mos_sb_messages_text_original
3. open your dump file under html editor which doesnt make any conversions between charsets
4. delete everything else but dump of mos_sb_messages_text table (from CREATE TABLE ... ... INSERT INTO mos_sb_messages_text ... VALUES ...
5. now you have to convert this from UTF to ISO-8859-2 - i couldnt find any program that would done this without problems ... best was Ogonki97 - but it wrongly recognized three of the polish chars - two Ź, Ś and ś . So i done some tricky things:

5a - with use of BK Replace EM (freeware) changed every occurence of entities that caused problem to some unique txt - e.g.  ś to <<<s_male>>> Ś TO <<<S_duze>>> and Ź to <<<Ziet>>>

5b - with Ogonki97 i have converted file to ISO-8859-2 (another trick - had to add standard html head witch charset declaration of "utf" and then go to Ogonki options and tell it to use Unicode)

5c - after this i dnoe backward search and replace witch BKReplace EM - from unique 'tags' to polish letters - and the trick here is to use ISO keyboard - you can find it here - hxxp:windows.online.pl/klawiat.htm [nonactive]

6. Now we got mos_sb_messages_text in ISO-8859-2 - upload this to your database and THEN
7. run the sb_to_smf conversion script

welll - i hope that somebody find it useable :)

now next tricky part - make it work with mambo and comprofiler :D
i love this job :P

deejayh

Hi,

I have just found out why my user tables - mos_users and smf_members are buggered up (broken!!). Some how all the name field in mos_users - NAME ie: joanne deckers USERNAME: joanne was transferred via mos2smf.php as REALNAME: joanne and MEMBERNAME: joanne deckers. So everyone could not login correctly by using their USERNAME.

Also to compound the problem, when it was transferred (mos2smf.php) a name or two was missed (or failed), creating another problem where the REAL NAME and the EMAILADDRESS was knocked down a few members: (which created another problem as they clicked "lost password" and as the email was wrong - it was sent to someone else!!) :o

NAME                      USERNAME:           EMAIL
joanne deckers           joanne             [email protected]
billy shaw                    billy                 [email protected]
bernard wilson            joanne             [email protected]

and on and on!! >:( >:(
Would it be best to empty the smf_members table then run the mos2smf.php  again?? (once it is sorted!!)

Help
Dave
Regards,
Dave

deejayh

I have also found that in my newest users who have registered through the bridge, that the names get mixed up:

RealName     User/member
mos_smf:   4107   hugheskd        hugheskd

mos_users: 4118   hughes         hugheskd

Not a major problem as it does not effect the login name or password (I think) but it does lose the real name.
Dave
Regards,
Dave

Kirby

I'm not too much into the bridging, but what I would do is simply remove SMF from mambo, do the conversion with SMF being seperate, then use the integration script (if any) to use the SMF users. You also do not need to bother cleaning the member table, since that is automatically done by the converter.

deejayh

I think there is another problem.

I believe that mambo accepts short usernames and passwords but SMF does not - so I also have some member that now cannot login due to their password and/or username is too short and not accepting it!

May be I had bring these questions up with chadness and Orstio - I don't know which made the mos2smf.php file?

Dave
Regards,
Dave

Kirby

That's wierd, it should work. A user at a forum I operate uses the name 1 and seems to have no problems logging in.

deejayh

Here the Registration with details: Short username:

Heres the Registration with a short password:

So thats why a lot of my members cannot login!!

Dave
Regards,
Dave

Advertisement: