[SMF Converter] phpBB3

Started by JayBachatero, January 23, 2008, 04:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pame

Yes!! You're right, now the SMF Converter do its work correctly ;-) thank you

edjon2000

Hi all, sorry to bother you,

I have a question,

I recently converted my SMF 2.04b forum to phpBB3, not the wisest move I know, and would now like to convert back from phpBB3.

I did originally take a full forum backup in .sql, .sql.zip and .sql.gz formats just to make sure, but have been unable to re-import the files successfully.

So, with this in mind I started looking around for methods of converting my existing phpBB3 forum back to SMF.

From reading these posts it seems that the most reliable method would be to create a fresh install of SMF 1.1.8 and then convert the phpBB3 forum to that, (I can always upgrade SMF 1.1.8 to 2.0rc1 at a later date if necessary).

As I understand it I need to upload the convert.php file and the .sql file to my SMF forum root www.mydomain.com/forum and run convert.php, is this correct?

Also I need to upload the modified loginout file, do I do this after the conversion process or before.

All the tables are in the same database

Any help would be greatly appreciated

ThorstenE

Quote from: edjon2000 on March 27, 2009, 06:49:26 AM
As I understand it I need to upload the convert.php file and the .sql file to my SMF forum root www.mydomain.com/forum and run convert.php, is this correct?
Yes, exactly.
first you login with admin permissions to SMF and install the phpbb3_login_fix.tgz via package manager. Then upload phpbb3_to_smf.sql and convert.php to your "forum" folder and run convert.php from your browser (www.yourdomain.com/forum/convert.php).

edjon2000

Sorry for the late reply, thanks for that TE

I will make a start later on today and try it out, so far I have a clean install of SMF 1.1.8 up and running

t3v4

I have question...
Is convert.php work for smf 2 beta4?
And can u give me phpbb3 password fix for my version of smf, cause my smf doesnt accept current version

thnx in advance...

ThorstenE

no, sorry.. the current convert.php is for SMF 1.1.x only. 2.0 converters are still in developement, but you can convert to SMF 1.1.8, then upgrade to 2.0RC1

Upgrade SMF

edjon2000

Quote from: TE on March 27, 2009, 06:58:42 AM
Yes, exactly.
first you login with admin permissions to SMF and install the phpbb3_login_fix.tgz via package manager. Then upload phpbb3_to_smf.sql and convert.php to your "forum" folder and run convert.php from your browser (www.yourdomain.com/forum/convert.php).

Hi again yes it seems to have worked mostly, all of the membergroups are prefixed with phpBB but thats a small price to pay, I can always change those

Thanks again for your help TE

Boosted

hi ^^
so...today i tried to convert my phpBB3 forum.
it all seemed to work, no errors.
but when i try to login i get this:
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

i did install the login fix before i converted.
im clueless...any idea?

i can view topics and everything...just not login   :-[

i installed the german language packet...could that be a problem?

ThorstenE

Boosted,
the german language package isn't the problem, the script was aborted by the server.. do you have access to the server's error log?

Boosted

i dont think its on the webspace or? ^^
couldnt find anything like that on the hosters page either.
so i guess thats a no.

ThorstenE

maybe you can convert your forum on a local installation (XAMPP or WAMP)?
- export your phpBB, import it on a local system, then convert it to SMF and upload the local SMF to your server..

Boosted

hmm, no idea how that works.
never done something like that before.
is there a tutorial somewhere for that (installing a forum locally..)

im on windows btw.

ThorstenE

"Internal Server Error" is often a misconfigured php environment. is it a root server (do you have "Administrator" permissions) or is the site on shared hosting? without access to the webservers error log it's very hard to find the reason. maybe a memory limit or the script execution time, a misssing session_save_path etc.

installing XAMP is easy, a tutorial (also in german) for XAMPP is available at www.apachefriends.org
http://www.apachefriends.org/de/xampp-windows.html

Boosted

no not a root server, its a rented domain from hxxp:strato.de [nonactive]
SMF worked fine before the conversation tho.
i will have a look at XAMP.

edjon2000

One of the problems I have noticed that can cause a similar error certainly with my webhosts is if I set any directories to 777 this creates the same error and is resolved by changing the folder permissions to 755.

Just a thought

Boosted

so...ive done it all locally.
and it worked here...and...i can login..wtf?
ive done the same exact thing.
can i just use this install now and it will work? im clueless...

Boosted

so a friend gave me a heldping hand...apparently it has something to do with the passwords.
after changing them login is no longer a problem.
thanks anyway ^^

t3v4

Quote from: TE on March 30, 2009, 07:17:36 AM
no, sorry.. the current convert.php is for SMF 1.1.x only. 2.0 converters are still in developement, but you can convert to SMF 1.1.8, then upgrade to 2.0RC1

Upgrade SMF

And plugins installed on 1.1.8, will remain or will be deleted?

ThorstenE

t3v4, during an upgrade to a new major release (e.g. from 1.1.x to 2.0.x) all modifications will be erased. It's the same like installing a new SMF with your old content.

FishHeadThe3rd

Hey, great converter! ;D  I can't get passwords to work, though.  I don't really understand, I can't find LopgInLogOut.php or whatever and I also tried the mod thing in the attachment and neither way worked.  please help?

Advertisement: