News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

[SMF Converter] phpBB3

Started by JayBachatero, January 23, 2008, 04:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

topthumb

Ok, I guess I'm not too bright, how do I install it?

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

topthumb

I guess it's because I am not familiar with SMF but where is package Manager? If it's accessible through SMF, then it will do me no good because I can't get into SMF forum.

topthumb

I deleted everything, made a new database and re-installed SMF 1.1.4. I then went into admin and Package Manager and uploaded the phpBB3_Login_Fix.tgz but have not applied it yet.

I have not run the converter yet so now what are my next steps?

I appreciate the help

Zagra

Have I such problem, namely does such mistake jump out me near the conversion :

As remedy this?
I will be very grateful, how someone will help , I do not give alone glad.

IndeX148

Hi. I've problem
Which software are you using?
The converter did not find any conversion data files. Please check to see if the one you want is available for download at www.simplemachines.org. If it isn't, we may be able to write one for you - just ask us!
After you download it, simply upload it into the same folder as this convert.php file. If you're having any other problems with this converter, don't hesitate to look for help on our forum.

Try again

What i should do now? I have phpbb3.0.1

SleePy

Quote from: topthumb on April 15, 2008, 12:30:01 PM
I deleted everything, made a new database and re-installed SMF 1.1.4. I then went into admin and Package Manager and uploaded the phpBB3_Login_Fix.tgz but have not applied it yet.

I have not run the converter yet so now what are my next steps?

I appreciate the help

Try applying the password fix before converting. This just modifies the SMF login so it will be able to detect the phpbb3 passwords when a user logs in and then updates it to use the SMF hashing method.

Quote from: Zagra on April 15, 2008, 12:49:22 PM
Have I such problem, namely does such mistake jump out me near the conversion :

As remedy this?
I will be very grateful, how someone will help , I do not give alone glad.

That error is saying you have a duplicate poll entry.
Check your phpbb database for a poll that has an id of 5477 in which a member with the id of 34 voted  for the 127th option twice.

Quote from: IndeX148 on April 15, 2008, 01:06:59 PM
Hi. I've problem
Which software are you using?
The converter did not find any conversion data files. Please check to see if the one you want is available for download at www.simplemachines.org. If it isn't, we may be able to write one for you - just ask us!
After you download it, simply upload it into the same folder as this convert.php file. If you're having any other problems with this converter, don't hesitate to look for help on our forum.

Try again

What i should do now? I have phpbb3.0.1

Make sure you uploaded the sql file as well to the same location as the convert.php. Which should be in your SMF directory.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

babylon

have a few questions guys..

I converted someones phpbb3 to smf 1.1.4
I saw a few errors while process was going but it ended up saying all is ok..
Only special characters like greek were messed up completely,i tried the utf8 convert but that didnt help.

It can login as admin but all topics do seems to be closed for me when i login as MEMBER.
I mean , i cannot reply....
any way to solve this ?...
Any table i should check for whatever ID i should have to be able to post as a member ?

SleePy

You converted SMF to use UTF-8? Did you also install the UTF-8 language pack so SMF knows what charset you are using?

This converter does not convert permissions. The phpbb3 permissions are just to messed up to attempt to try and get things right. It will lock things down though during the conversion.
You can go to Admin -> Permissions and alter the groups (including regular group) to change the permissions and allow users to post and do other things.

If you setup a group, you can copy the permissions to other groups as well in that same section :)
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

topthumb

Ok, I started from scratch again and after installing SMF, I went into the Package Manager and installed the phpBB3_Login_Fix. Then I ran the converter and everything converted successfully. Then I went to the forum and it loads up fine but when I try to enter my username and password, I get this error:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare phpbb3_password_check() (previously declared in /home/userxxxxx/public_html/smf/Sources/LogInOut.php:489) in /home/userxxxxx/public_html/smf/Sources/LogInOut.php on line 550

At least before it just told me wrong password. Now what do I do?

SleePy

That means that the code was applied twice.

Simple open your LogInOut.php

Look for two sets of such code (its an example):
function ([...])
{
     [...]
}

Please note the [...] means anything can be in there.
If you attach your file I can fix it.

topthumb

Ok, when I went to download the file, there were 2 of them but one was named LogInOut.php~

I'll attach both of them since I don't know which one you need.

SleePy

The ~ one is a backup file made by SMF when it makes a file.

Here is the LogInOut.php corrected.

topthumb

Thanks for the correction. Do I have to re-install everything, convert with this new file? I uploaded it to the server and I still can't log in as the Admin although I don't get the error any more. It keeps saying wrong password if I try to log in as the phpBB3 admin name and when I do log in as the admin that I set up in the installation, I'm just a regular member.

SleePy

nope. Just replace this file and things should be working :)

topthumb

I did and I still can not log in as admin. It only lets me be a regular member. I had a couple of my moderators try to join and they also had to register with a new password because their's did not work. I tried logging in under my admin username from the phpBB3 forum and it would not accept my password and when I tried to register again under the same name, it said there was a user with that name already. So, something is not working right somewhere.

topthumb

Maybe if I could log in as the admin I could do something but no matter what I do I can't even with the admin name and pass I set this board up with. I did have admin rights before the conversion though.

SleePy

What version of php are you using?

topthumb

phpBB3 and the SMF version is 1.14 or do you mean the version of php on the server? It's php 4

SleePy

Yes I mean on the server.
What version of php 4?

Jay who made the phpbb3 password function for SMF said that it doesn't work properly for some versions of php yet.

You should let your host know though that php4 is no longer the stable version of php and will soon no longer be supported by the php team in a little under 4 months. They should start getting on php5. SMF works just fine in php5 as well.
http://www.php.net/archive/2007.php#2007-07-13-1
http://www.php.net/archive/2008.php#2008-01-03-1

Advertisement: