News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

[SMF Converter] phpBB3

Started by JayBachatero, January 23, 2008, 04:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

topthumb

Let me ask my host and make sure what version they are running. They're pretty good at keeping up-to-date on this stuff.

topthumb

They say that they are running PHP 4.3.1 but if you need to run PHP 5 then you need to do this little trick:

There are two ways to use php 5.x here. Right now the default is PHP 4.x.

1. Any file with ".php5" at the end will execute as php5.

2. Place the following code into a .htaccess file
Code:

AddHandler x-httpd-php5 .php

Anything in, or below that directory that ends as .php will run as php 5. Very useful.

JayBachatero

Sigh.  I figured that's the problem.  For those versions of PHP the passwords generate a different sha hash.  I suggest that you do the .htaccess that they suggested.  Your users will have to generate a new password though.  It should work fine after that.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

topthumb

Jay, then should I reinstall everything and start over from scratch with that htaccess file in the folder?

I put the htaccess file in the folder but I still don't get an admin button I can click on.

JayBachatero

No need to reinstall everything.  Just put the .htaccess file.  Remember (dot)htaccess not just plain htaccess.

About the admin account.  Did you setup special groups for the admin or a regular group?
Follow me on Twitter

topthumb

All I did was install smf and when it asked me for the admin username and password I put that in. Then I ran the LogInOut fix through the Package Manager, then I ran the Converter. After running the converter, I lost all admin rights.

If you are asking if I set up any groups as admins, no, I did not because I thought then when I ran the converter, it would have changed it anyway.

When was I suppose to set up the groups?

JayBachatero

I mean in phpBB.  Do you have special membergroups for admins or just the regular groups?
Follow me on Twitter

topthumb

Oh, in the PHP forum there were special membership groups that were set as mods and a a group that had admin rights.

I may add that also none of the members can see their profiles except for me and they also can not post. I can see my profile and I can post but no admin still.

JayBachatero

Seems like there are some permission issues.  You are going to have to run this query to get your admin access back.

UPDATE smf_members
SET ID_GROUP = 1
WHERE ID_MEMBER = XXXX;

Change the XXXX to your id.  Then you can login as admin and change the permissions as desired.
Follow me on Twitter

topthumb

When you say Member ID, do you mean my username as it is on the forum which in this case would be topthumb?

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

topthumb

Jay, I went to that link and nowhere does it say what my ID is. Maybe because I'm not a mod or admin?

JayBachatero

That link it's just an example of where you can get the id.  Just go to your forum and click on your username and it should have the id in the url.  Like u=XXXX.
Follow me on Twitter

FrostyFire

Okay I have a question, this is the first time doing this so please go lightly on me!

I had phpBB3 installed in the root directory so when I went to http://mydomain.com/ [nofollow] the forum was the first page to come up.  Now that I have gone through the converting the SMF forum is sitting in the smf directory.  How do I get it so that the SMF forum is the default page that comes up?

Thanks

topthumb

Ok Jay, I got the ID number. I need to go for a few minutes and then I'll run that query and see what happens. I'll be back and let you know.

Thanks for all the help so far. It's really appreciated.

JayBachatero

Quote from: FrostyFire on April 17, 2008, 10:51:42 AM
Okay I have a question, this is the first time doing this so please go lightly on me!

I had phpBB3 installed in the root directory so when I went to http://mydomain.com/ the forum was the first page to come up.  Now that I have gone through the converting the SMF forum is sitting in the smf directory.  How do I get it so that the SMF forum is the default page that comes up?

Thanks
You would move all the SMF files to the root dir.  It's recommended to remove the phpBB files once you're not using them.  Then after that run repair_settings.php.
What is repair_settings.php?

Quote from: topthumb on April 17, 2008, 10:56:30 AM
Ok Jay, I got the ID number. I need to go for a few minutes and then I'll run that query and see what happens. I'll be back and let you know.

Thanks for all the help so far. It's really appreciated.
Alright.  Let us know how it goes :).  From there on you just need to change the permissions.
Follow me on Twitter

topthumb

Jay, I can't thank you enough. I was pulling out my hair on this one and was about to give up.

I finally have admin rights and I made some permission changes. I have my moderators going through everything now to test it out.

I'll let you know if a problem comes up

Thanks so much again!

FrostyFire

Thanks Jay, that worked great.

JayBachatero

Glad to hear it all worked out :).
Follow me on Twitter

topthumb

Small problem so far but in the Membergroups, the names we had for them in the phpBB forum are all preceded by php. So if we had a group called 'Dummies', it would be 'php Dummies'.

I thought I fixed it by going into the membergroups and changing them but it doesn't work. It shows up in the admin correctly but still has the php in front of the membergroup name on the forum.

Advertisement: