Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

[SMF Converter] phpBB3

Started by JayBachatero, January 23, 2008, 04:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfhidden

Quote from: SleePy on May 09, 2008, 09:22:09 PM
Are you able to apply the mod attached?
It would provide a better option if you still have access to the admin panel to apply the mod.

It is in there. Use a php editing application and search for pieces of the code (I do this as sometimes the returns/tabs are not always found correctly by some applications)

As this is all new to me it took a while to understand the architecture of SMF (very different from PHPBB3). OK all done. I backed up the database and then installed the php_login-fix and then uploaded the sql and convert ran the script and was absolutely blown to bits !! I have never seen such a smooth transit from one forum to another. Well Done!
I now have the uphill task of learning SMF... but I suspect that I will enjoy that more than PHPBB3
Regards,
Steff and thanks for your help.

Blueracer66

Quote from: Halfhidden on May 10, 2008, 08:34:35 AM
Quote from: SleePy on May 09, 2008, 09:22:09 PM
Are you able to apply the mod attached?
It would provide a better option if you still have access to the admin panel to apply the mod.

It is in there. Use a php editing application and search for pieces of the code (I do this as sometimes the returns/tabs are not always found correctly by some applications)

As this is all new to me it took a while to understand the architecture of SMF (very different from PHPBB3). OK all done. I backed up the database and then installed the php_login-fix and then uploaded the sql and convert ran the script and was absolutely blown to bits !! I have never seen such a smooth transit from one forum to another. Well Done!
I now have the uphill task of learning SMF... but I suspect that I will enjoy that more than PHPBB3
Regards,
Steff and thanks for your help.
I haven't switched from phpBB3 (yet) but I've been using the latest stable version of SMF on my local server and wow, it's so smooth! I love how User/Admin-friendly it is. I will be using it on a live environment soon! I will hopefully transfer from phpBB to SMF on Monday! Anyway, good luck with your new forum software!
Around Every Corner. Behind Every Door. Lurking in Every Shadow. Evil Waits. Join the new ResidentEvilFanboy [nofollow] version beta.

SleePy

Glad it works smoothly :)
We try our best to make sure things work as expected :)
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

bargaindoctor

Hey guys

I got a phpbb3 forum up and running and Im wanting to find someone who knows how to convert this to hlep me move my board from phpbb3 to SMF.  The board isn't very large so sholdn't be too difficult - just a few categories and around 1000 posts.  I want to preserve all users, login, passwords, avatars if possible and obviously all the post structure.   

I will obviously pay for this.  Please let me know if anyone can do this.  You can email me directly  or PM or reply here.  Thank you very much!

SleePy

bargaindoctor,

I removed your other post.
If you want to ask for services you should ask in our help wanted (not for support) board that you can see if anyone is willing to convert your forum for you. Please read the sticky in that board though and know the rules as well get a warning from it.

The convert.php script and .sql script is there for you to do it yourself. You just need to install SMF. Then drop those two files I mentioned in your SMF folder. Then run the convert.php from your browser and give it the paths it needs and password (You should know all of that information).
It will then attempt to convert your forum.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

bargaindoctor

no problem, thank you :)

i've downloaded the convert.php and the mysql and uplodaed it into my new SMF install.

My setup currently is:

domain.com/SMFforums
domain.com/phpforums

I just tried to convert, and got this:

SELECT command denied to user 'smf1'@'localhost' for table 'phpbb_users'

I have searched this thread and found something about adding SMF user into phpBB?  is this because without the SMF user in the DB it can't download the table for security reasons?

How should I go about this?

Also should i be installing the pass fix first or is that not necessary for phpbb3?

Thanks!

SleePy

jolly_roger

awesome! thank you, really great job. works like a charm :]

and about passwords: your tool converted info from users' profiles (such as emails) so they were able to use 'restore password' function. i don't want to use phpbb hashing algorithm

(sorry for my English)

SleePy

Well it would of only used the phpbb3 login algorithm for the first login.

Once it confirms there is a match it updates the password to use SMF's hashing method.

jolly_roger

Quote from: SleePy on May 14, 2008, 04:39:38 PM
Well it would of only used the phpbb3 login algorithm for the first login.

Once it confirms there is a match it updates the password to use SMF's hashing method.
oh, nice. but... i just noticed, users didn't used 'remind password', they just logged in with their old passwords after convertion. i am currently looking in the phpbb db dump and comparing passwords. md5 hash of my password and its hash from phpbb database are equal (phpbb 2.x and phpbb 3.0.1 versions). so login fix from first post doesn't needed anymore for new versions. i apologize if anyone wrote it already, i didn't read whole topic :]

SleePy

Did you recently upgrade to phpbb3?

I don't know how phpbb is doing its logins, but they started a new method in phpbb3. They might still be using the old versions and when you change your password in phpbb3 it updates to its new method.

eta.aquarii

There's a mistake in the LogInOut.php code:
$salt = substr($passwd_hash, 4,;

What's the other substr() argument? :(

SleePy

Ahh, that would explain the errors :P

I corrected it. It should of been:
    $salt = substr($passwd_hash, 4, 8);

Extazy

excuse me, i'm noob
please explain me how to convert from phpbb3 to smf ?what i have to do?
upload SMF to directory with phpbb3 and make phpbb3_to_smf.sql or smth else?

SleePy

Extazy

after convert.php... i get error:
QuoteIncorrect integer value: '' for column 'ID_GROUP' at row 1
can you help me?

SleePy

While trying to load the SMF forum or where you attempting to do something?

Extazy

i load convert.php, click continue and get this error.
here is screenshot: http://exnews.org/convert.gif [nofollow] (use download manager)

SleePy

Open the .sql converter script.

Find:
    u.user_posts AS posts, IF(u.user_rank = 1, 1, mg.ID_GROUP) AS ID_GROUP,

Replace:
    u.user_posts AS posts, IF(u.user_rank = 1, 1, IFNULL(mg.ID_GROUP, 0)) AS ID_GROUP,

Run the converter script again and see if you have better luck. That should force it to set their id group to 0 if its empty.

Extazy

working..
THX!

Advertisement: