News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

[SMF Converter] phpBB3

Started by JayBachatero, January 23, 2008, 04:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SleePy

The Crooner,

That is just saying the phpbb3 attachments path is incorrect. Thus it isn't able to copy them over to SMF.
Please make sure the path is correct in both phpbb3 and SMF for its attachment directories.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

femme

do you have an instruction kit for this converter? i have zero knowledge of programming so i'm already kinda dizzy just looking at the comments here...

i'd like to convert my existing phpbb3 forum to smf. where do i start?

sorry for sounding stupid, but i really have no idea :(

ThorstenE

Converting to SMF

you need the phpbb3_to_smf.sql (attached in the first message of this topic) and the convert.php (attached here)

femme

is this the convert.php?

! Fixed the undefined index for charsets error.
! Moved copy_dir and copy_smileys to convert.php
! Fixed the LENGTH error.
+ Added simple UTF-8 support.  More to come later.
! Was possible to get errors when doing recount stats on with the converter.

Also is the phpbb3_to_smf.sql just text?

Pls. be patient...

ThorstenE

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=140741.0 convert.php is attached at the end (scroll down)
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=218449.0 phpbb3_to_mysql.sql is an sql-script (readable as text and attached in the first post from JayBachatero)

you should first install the smf_login_fix.tar.gz via package manager (also attached in the first post from JayBachatero)

femme

Quote from: ThorstenE on June 26, 2008, 05:45:41 AM
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=140741.0 convert.php is attached at the end (scroll down)
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=218449.0 phpbb3_to_mysql.sql is an sql-script (readable as text and attached in the first post from JayBachatero)

you should first install the smf_login_fix.tar.gz via package manager (also attached in the first post from JayBachatero)

i've downloaded all the files you mentioned. how do i install the phpBB3_Login_Fix.tgz ?

ThorstenE

Admin - Packages - Download Packages the "Upload a Package" and follow the instructions..

femme

i know now what kpt on going wrong.

whenever i try to download the convert, sql, and login_fix files they keep on getting renamed. i don't know why. but anyway, all i needed to do was rename files as written on the forum and they worked!!!

thanks ThorstenE for your patience and help! much obliged to you :)

speedy931

Thanks I really needed this. I'm so happy now that you found this.

And still I'm going to make run tonght so I hope it works like I want it to work.

vypergt

Hello i'm new to all of this. I have phpbb 3 and I'm going to convert to smf. Now I need a fresh installation of smf and after I install it, I run those files attached to the first post?

SleePy

Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

vypergt

o.k I edited the * phpBB3_Login_Fix.tgz file. Now when I did that it said I needed to make a new password, is that suppose to happen? Sorry I'm just making sure :/ to see I'm doing this right..

ThorstenE

if you migrate your forum from phpbb this is a normal behaviour.. SMF and phpBB are using different mechanisms for cryting their passwords. SMF is (with the phpbb3_login_fix.tgz) able to read your old phpbb-password but needs to change this to it's own solution while first login. so you get a "re-enter your password" mask.

ellion

so how does this work? where are the instructions!

do i install SMF first before converting or do i just run the .sql converter.php in the directory of phpBB?

ThorstenE

first you have to install SMF, after that you can convert your forum to SMF. All Information about that can be found here:
Converting to SMF

ellion

thanks i have now got the SMF installed but i have a problem with conversion.

i got this error message

The converter detected that your host has open_basedir enabled on this server. Please ask your host to disable this setting or try moving the contents of your phpBB3 to the public html folder of your site

i dont know what that means and my phpbb3 is already in public_html

SleePy

Have you tried what the error message suggests?

You might be able to continue still and have it work.

ellion

Quote from: SleePy on July 06, 2008, 01:58:52 PM
Have you tried what the error message suggests?

You might be able to continue still and have it work.

i dont know what it means, i might not want it disabled. it might be enabled for a reason.

i tried to continue but it brings the error.

SleePy

Have you asked your host about disabling it for a short time?

It isn't really needed and used to prevent access to directories that users should not have access to. But it does cause issues when you are wanting to access files if it is incorrectly setup.

Quote from: From Convert.php
      Check if open_basedir is enabled.  If it's enabled and the converter file was not found then that means
      that the user hasn't moved the files to the public html dir.  With this enabled and the file not found, we can't go anywhere from here.

ellion

would i be able to disable it my self somehow?

Advertisement: