News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[SMF Converter] phpBB3

Started by JayBachatero, January 23, 2008, 04:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norv

The converter will wipe some tables and replace their contents with the converted data. Just as well, it will re-calculate various statistics and update them into existing tables. That means that at least the accounts are replaced, yes. You will have the old account from phpBB.

I'm not sure of all details of TP and SMG will need, but I tend to think that the safest way to do is still to convert over an installation with no TP/SMG and install them after.
Otherwise there can be surprising behaviors. In case you set TP to show a certain board as articles, for example, the conversion will remove that board and eventually replace that board with the one from phpBB which happens to have the same ID, if any.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Inquisitor

Thanks. So, anyway, I'll try. I'll backup my data and try to convert. If I'll get unpredicted things, I'll investigate why that happened, rollback and try to control the process of conversion. I'll report later about a result.

Norv

I'm not sure there's any need to rollback, as the converter doesn't do any modification to the data from phpBB, while the SMF tables it needs should be emptied every time it's run.
Please feel free to post here any errors you may have, and we will try to assist you.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

[-Trogan-]

Alright i have a question.

Will this converter work for phpbb3.0.6rc3?

Norv

Most probably, as both converters (to SMF 1.1.10 and to SMF 2.0 RC1.2) were tested on 3.0.5. In case there were no relevant database changes, it should work with any 3.x version, and normally there are no such changes on minor versions. (usually, in any software, that is).
In any case you can try it on your board. It won't do anything wrong anyway, it doesn't touch the phpbb installation, only tries taking the data from it. In case anything goes wrong please feel free to let us know.
You can find all information for the conversion here: Converting to SMF

[-Trogan-]

Ok how do i get started with this conversion (i got the files now where do i put them in my site?) (and then what do i do?)

Norv

Please check out the step-by-step manual : Converting to SMF

Mainly, the files should be in the SMF folder (SMF should be installed) and you run convert.php from the browser.

[-Trogan-]

uh-oh.

got an error.

Notice: Undefined variable: to_prefix in /home/beastmag/domains/torous1234.co.cc/public_html/forum/convert.php on line 1821
Unsuccessful!
This query:

REPLACE INTO settings (variable, value)
    VALUES ('conversion_time', 1257642369),
    ('conversion_from', 'phpbb3_to_smf.sql');

Caused the error:

No database selected

what can i do

(user edit)It wont let me insert a modification that i know works because i have used it on another of my smf forums (non converted) the one i'm trying to get installed is tinypicplugin_smf_mod_v1.0.0

narqelion

Based on your edit can I assume you worked through the conversion error and have your board converted and running?

[-Trogan-]

It seems that the error didnt affect anything at all.
odd.
Never heard of a false error message.

but yea it works.

sandoz

i get this:
Sorry, the database connection information used in the specified installation of SMF cannot access the installation of phpBB3. This may either mean that the installation doesn't exist, or that the MySQL account used does not have permissions to access it.

The error MySQL gave was: SELECT command denied to user 'xxx'@'72.167.xxx' for table 'phpbb_users'

apparently the mysql userinfo is wrong, but i cannot enter the pphbb3 mysql login

Norv

sandoz

yes, ok, because the php db was on another account

now i imported the php db to the same db as smf forum, but still i get this error:
what am i doing wrong?
Sorry, the database connection information used in the specified installation of SMF cannot access the installation of phpBB3. This may either mean that the installation doesn't exist, or that the Database account used does not have permissions to access it.

The error that was received from the Database was: SELECT command denied to user 'xxx'@'72..185' for table 'phpbb_users'

Norv

Even though you imported the php db, the converter asks you for phpbb path and reads a configuration file from it, in which most probably it's the old phpbb database pointed to. So the converter will try connecting to that one still, for phpbb data.
You can:
Option 1: - install SMF in the same database where phpbb was installed (not the other way around)
Option 2: - let them in different databases, but check in your host's panel if you can add the user of the SMF database to the phpbb database.
Option 3: - change the phpbb configuration file to point to the SMF database (where you imported the phpbb tables) - I don't recommend this, because your phpbb will try to work then from this copied tables, and if any is missing or whatnot, phpbb installation won't work. Rather, make a copy of the config file, and place it in another folder (random folder) and point the converter to that folder as "phpbb installation".

GravuTrad

phpbb 3.0.6 is out.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1859035

They try to upgrade it to the smf level lol...
On a toujours besoin d'un plus petit que soi! (Petit!Petit!)

Think about Search function before posting.
Pensez à la fonction Recherche avant de poster.

GravuTrad

same type of problem than Trogan on one conversion:

This query:REPLACE INTO {$to_prefix}settings (variable, value)
         VALUES ("conversion_time", 1259234240),
            ("conversion_from", "phpbb3_to_smf.sql");         Caused the error:
         Youhave an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds toyour MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near'{$to_prefix}settings (variable, value)
         VALUES ("conversion_time", 1259234240)' at line 1

it doesn't affect anything?
On a toujours besoin d'un plus petit que soi! (Petit!Petit!)

Think about Search function before posting.
Pensez à la fonction Recherche avant de poster.

Norv

No, it doesn't. It's a bug in the converter, only happens after the conversion itself is finished, when it tries to save some data about the conversion in smf database (for eventual later use in debugging if case may be). The conversion itself was successful if there were no other errors.

roomeat

Are the conversions scripts in the first post the most current?? or should I search through 35 pages to find the newest?
We were not given dreams, without also being given the power to achieve them.

roomeat

Also.. I noticed these were based on phpbb 3.0.5 and my site is 3.0.2.. should this still be OK?
We were not given dreams, without also being given the power to achieve them.

Norv

Quote from: roomeat on December 05, 2009, 03:56:11 AM
Are the conversions scripts in the first post the most current?? or should I search through 35 pages to find the newest?
Please find the current converters on this site's Downloads > Converters page.

Quote from: roomeat on December 05, 2009, 03:57:03 AM
Also.. I noticed these were based on phpbb 3.0.5 and my site is 3.0.2.. should this still be OK?
Yes, it should work. Normally minor releases don't even bring database changes, let alone major database changes.

Advertisement: