News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[SMF Converter] phpBB3

Started by JayBachatero, January 23, 2008, 04:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProtoGT

is there a way just to convert the database? i dont have a running phpBB forum.

Sethv2

Hello all. I recently coverted my forum from Ikonboard to phpBB3. All the posts converted from Ikonboard to phpbb3 alright. However I didn't really care for that forum and couldn't find a portal I liked for it, so I just converted it to SMF. I really like SMF and found a portal I am quite happy with, however, the only posts I can click on to read are the ones that were started on the phpbb3 forum. The names of the ones from Ikonboard simply aren't there and so I have nothing to click on to read those threads. The posts counts are all correct and I can see the posts on the portal page when I select a category to be the news, so I know the information is still there. How can I fix it so I also have the thread names for the posts from Ikonboard?

Norv

Hey there,
Were you able to see those posts in phpbb3?
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Sethv2

I was able to see the posts normally on phpBB3. I've already fixed it though. I used an Ikonboard converter I found on here and just ignored the loss of three posts made on the temp phpBB3 boards.

Norv

Good to hear you sorted it out! :)
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

telles0808

sorry, but the link to convert.php will pull me to another topic, and there link me here =(

Gamogo

Guys I have one quick question:

Does this converter COPY the data from the PHPBB source DB into the destination SMF forum's DB, ostensibly leaving the SOURCE data untouched?

ThorstenE

yes, the entire source data (your phpBB) will stay untouched.

Gamogo

Quote from: TE on January 17, 2011, 09:13:07 AM
yes, the entire source data (your phpBB) will stay untouched.

Awesome, thanks for the snappy response :)

mindphp

Gamogo

I have another question.

Your script works flawlessly and we have run some successful test conversions.

However, we are looking at a fresh start to our forum (its become somewhat cluttered) by way of reorganised and recategorised forums. As such, we're saying goodbye to our old content. Clean slate and all that.

I'd like to retain usernames and passwords however so our regulars can hit the new (SMF) forum running. Is there any such way a straight user/member ONLY import is possible? Basically import user data, but nothing else. By that I mean ostensibly usernames and passwords. I'm not too concerned about PMs or other details.

Does any such import script or modification of this one to accommodate this task exist?

IchBin™

I haven't seen anything like that myself. From what I have seen of the converters they just change the data in place. They don't create anything new. If you are looking to get rid of messages/pm's etc. In one of your test installs just truncate the appropriate tables that have the data that you don't want. I'd clear all the log tables on this too. Worth a try I think.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Cristian10

CheekyChimpanzee

I searched the topic for "RC5" but got no results...   

Can anyone advise me, will the RC4 convert.php work for a PHPBB3 to RC5 convert?

CheekyChimpanzee

Quote from: CheekyChimpanzee on March 03, 2011, 11:07:18 PM
I searched the topic for "RC5" but got no results...   

Can anyone advise me, will the RC4 convert.php work for a PHPBB3 to RC5 convert?

Don't mind me.  I tried the "suck it and see" approach and can confirm that it does infact work.

Elmo the Bear

Hello all

Sorry to be incredibly dense but I want to convert my board (PHP BB3.0.8 ) to SMF. I'm not an expert on any of this and I don't know how to "run" the converter.

I've backed up my PHP sql within Cpanel.... what do I do with the 'converter'.

Sorry to be thick... occupational hazard.

Thank you for any advice.

HunterP

Quote from: CheekyChimpanzee on March 03, 2011, 11:17:57 PM
Don't mind me.  I tried the "suck it and see" approach and can confirm that it does infact work.

Just to be sure. I'm about to convert an 3.0.8 forum to SMF. If I use the phpBB3->RC4 package and install the RC5 files, I have a full RC5 forum?

cybernet

Quote from: HunterP on April 03, 2011, 01:05:24 PM
Quote from: CheekyChimpanzee on March 03, 2011, 11:17:57 PM

Just to be sure. I'm about to convert an 3.0.8 forum to SMF. If I use the phpBB3->RC4 package and install the RC5 files, I have a full RC5 forum?

yes you do ;)

XtcruleZ

Im trying to convert a phpbb3 board to smf 2.0 and im getting the following errow during the conversion process:

Converting posts...The database value you're trying to insert does not exist: modified_name

Advertisement: