News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

starting a forum

Started by gabzgrl, July 20, 2007, 09:37:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gabzgrl

I'm starting a forum but I need some ideas of what to put in it and maybe some general tips.
Here is the link: hxxp:gabzgrl.smf.instant-forum.com/index.php [nonactive]

bootnut

who is your site aimed at? I try to run a car club finding members is the hardest part, content is pretty much delivered by the users eg problems / tips / where to go / where not to go / help requests.

Peter Duggan

What is the point of starting a forum without a point? TBH, there are already so many forums out there that none are likely to succeed without meeting a definite need. So that need could just be a simple message board for friends, family or a club (for which you've got a unique audience and success isn't necessarily measured in terms of 1,000s of members/posts), but you've really got to be providing something unique (not just 'starting a forum') to be a success at all in this 'market'!

bootnut

Quote from: Peter Duggan on July 23, 2007, 07:12:01 AM
What is the point of starting a forum without a point? TBH, there are already so many forums out there that none are likely to succeed without meeting a definite need. So that need could just be a simple message board for friends, family or a club (for which you've got a unique audience and success isn't necessarily measured in terms of 1,000s of members/posts), but you've really got to be providing something unique (not just 'starting a forum') to be a success at all in this 'market'!

Well said! I guess id fall into the club category, being that most chat on my forum is aimed at one type of classic car, heres our stats, Total Topics: 328, Total Posts: 3004, Total Members: 33 id say the site is a success, although it would be worthless to the next man. So once you figure out the point and who the site is aimed at you can work out what needs to be on it

neogeek

Quote from: gabzgrl on July 20, 2007, 09:37:36 AM
I'm starting a forum but I need some ideas of what to put in it and maybe some general tips.
Here is the link: hxxp:gabzgrl.smf.instant-forum.com/index.php [nonactive]

Hi,

I am new here. Just wondering how you got the hxxp:instant-forum.com [nonactive]. Is it a test forum? Thank you.
------------------------------
neogeek
hxxp:www.mywatchforum.com [nonactive]

gabzgrl

Well I added more to it, but I don't know how to go about recruiting people.

Drunken Clam

As stated by Peter above, there really is no point in starting a forum without a target audience!

Why not tell your friends about your site and use it as a meeting place etc.?

Other than that, there really isn't anything that would draw people to you, the forum has been running since April 2007 and you have zero members, the url doesn't hold any keys as to content, and in fact, there is no content!

So, with respect, I personally would put it on 'hold', think of a subject that would interest people and inspire them to participate, then build the site around that interest.

Sorry

(BTW - your site is a couple of versions behind the latest stable build, so, if you do continue, that should be the first thing you address.)

Advertisement: