News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

My host is upgrading to PHP/SQL5. Do I need to do anything/worry?

Started by weightman, February 13, 2008, 01:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weightman

I got a notice from my host that they will be upgrading my server to PHP/SQL5 soon and that says,"This upgrade process is going to be as automated as possible, but we understand that some customers may wish to handle upgrades themselves.  All servers and accounts will be upgraded to PHP5 and MySQL 5, but if you wish to handle the upgrading of any incompatible scripts yourself, please visit...."

Do I need to do anything manually or can I relax and let them handle it? I am running SMF 1.14 with numerous mods and bridged with Mambo using Orstio's bridge.

Thanks very much

Fiery

Hey,

You should be fine.  Just make a backup first and let us and your host know of you run into any problems.

Kat9119

We must have the same host, lol. I just got the same email this morning and thought 'oh god'

The problem with doing backups, is they say they are doing these changes up until March 5th....so, who knows when our individual servers will be switched, and we could end up losing a lot of posts. While this might not be a problem for some users, I'm dealing with dial up (yeah yeah I know, it sucks, cannot afford anything more, I don't need the speach lol) so for me to do a backup on a daily basis really sucks.

Hope they fix it correctly for me and nothing goes wrong.

rsw686

You should be fine. My forum is running on PHP5 without any issue. PHP4 is discontinued anyway. You have to update at some point. PHP5 has been out for over 3 years and PHP 6 is on its way.
The Reptile File
Everything reptile for anyone reptile friendly

Aquaria Talk
Community for freshwater and saltwater aquariums enthusiasts

weightman

Cool. Just out of curiosity, is there any advantage to us with the upgrade? Speed? Security?

One of my mods writes cron jobs and stuff for a living and made an automated backup system for our site. It does incremental backups twice a week and full backups twice a month I believe but is easy to change according to him. Does SMF have anything like that around, maybe in coding discussion? I thought I saw something a while back but didn't read the whole thread. The reason I ask is because maybe he would share the script. I would think he would though it would obviously have to be altered somewhat for each site.

Chriss Cohn

Im not sure, but i think i heard that for PHP5 you need to enable "register long arrays".
Also MySQL5 and PHP5 are both faster from what i'vr read in different forums and blogs some months ago...

Regards, Christian

青山 素子

Quote from: Chriss Cohn on February 13, 2008, 02:41:25 PM
Im not sure, but i think i heard that for PHP5 you need to enable "register long arrays".

No version of SMF that I'm aware of uses the old-style long arrays. Other software might, however.

Quote from: Chriss Cohn on February 13, 2008, 02:41:25 PM
Also MySQL5 and PHP5 are both faster from what i'vr read in different forums and blogs some months ago...

Based on my experience, they are both faster in some areas. Busy forums might notice the speed boost, but others probably will not.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Fiery

Sarge

Let us know how it goes. :)

You can also ask your host to notify you a day or so before the upgrade, so that you know when to take a database backup. ;)

Please do not PM me with support requests unless I invite you to.

http://www.zeriyt.com/   ~   http://www.galeriashqiptare.net/

<H> I had zero posts when I started posting

weightman

Sure, I will post an update in this thread. It may be a while. I went on their forum and read a little more about their progress. They aren't starting until March 8 and they are starting with lower nameserver numbers- hostgator001 and moving up. Since I am in the 500's.....

Thanks

Sarge

Mouthrax

Hi,

My host just upgraded to PHP5 and I am getting all sorts of internal errors.

At first I was getting sporadic load issues, it would either load or throw up a 500 internal error message.

Today that seems fine but when I try and send out a news letter I still get an internal error?

I have contacted my server and they are looking into it, they have had some Linux issues so it may well be just that.

However so I have some ammo for when they mail back I just want to check that my SMF is all compatible with php5, I have done nothing to upgrade SMF so my question is, will it all be fine and dandy as it is? or do I need to change some things in the SMF files?

My server sent me this http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration5.php but I have no idea where to start or if it actually effects SMF

Sorry for long reply but I appreciate any help ;)

karlbenson

SMF works perfectly on PHP5. (probably better than php4)
I have been doing so for at least a year or more.

500 internal error message's shouldn't be thrown up by smf.
I'd probably say those are created by apache.
Are you using a .htaccess file?  or seo urls?  that could be the cause.

Mouthrax

Quote from: karlbenson on March 07, 2008, 08:46:09 AM
SMF works perfectly on PHP5. (probably better than php4)
I have been doing so for at least a year or more.

500 internal error message's shouldn't be thrown up by smf.
I'd probably say those are created by apache.
Are you using a .htaccess file?  or seo urls?  that could be the cause.

Am I using a what and a what???

hehehe sorry I am a bit of a nooob on the server side stuff but appreciate your help if you could explain?

青山 素子

An error in the 500s is an internal server error and the server logs should be consulted. These normally shouldn't occur.

SMF 1.1 and newer is compatible with PHP5 for sure, and the latest 1.0 releases should be as well. If you're running an old version of SMF, you should upgrade.
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Mouthrax

All current versions, so I am thinking it is to do with the server side upgrade.

My SMF now seems to be sound but I am still getting it when I try send a news mail, I have the mail handler set to PHP which is telling me there is still problems with it???

Gear-Monkey

you wouldn't happen to be with hostgator would you?  I upgraded my service to reseller and cant seem to get it to work on php5

青山 素子

Mouthrax, is it causing 500 errors, or just not working? Those can be two different problems.
Motoko-chan

weightman

I am with HostGator. They haven't switched me over yet though.

Mouthrax

Not with Hostgator, I am with streamline.net

It is giving the 500 internal error message, also no post reply notifications are being sent out?

I am just at a loss, I am sure it is the server side but you know what they are like, they will try blame apps rather than admit it is a problem there side so just want to have some insite to reply to them if I get fobbed off.

So far they have always been great and sorted any probs out.

青山 素子

Unfortunately, the server error logs are really the only way to determine the cause of the error. If your host uses cPanel, you should be able to view the logs. If they are using something else it is possible you also have access to view those, just look around.
Motoko-chan

Mouthrax

I have found an error log that has lots of errors from yesterday and today which is the times in question.

The file is full of stuff like this from different IP's

[Thu Mar  6 23:16:04 2008] [error] [client XX.XX.XXX.XXX] FastCGI: comm with (dynamic) server "/var/www/fcgi/php-cgi" aborted: (first read) idle timeout (30 sec)
[Thu Mar  6 23:16:04 2008] [error] [client XX.XX.XXX.XXX] FastCGI: incomplete headers (0 bytes) received from server "/var/www/fcgi/php-cgi"

Any help?

青山 素子

That seems to indicate some problems with PHP itself or possibly FastCGI.
Motoko-chan

Mouthrax

Quote from: Motoko-chan on March 07, 2008, 12:59:09 PM
That seems to indicate some problems with PHP itself or possibly FastCGI.

Sorry does that mean server side? ...and will that have to do with the update to php5?

青山 素子

It means PHP itself is possibly having problems. You usually see this type of error when there is a problem with one of the server components.

Basically, your server appears to be set up as "Apache <-> FastCGI <-> PHP". Something is going wrong in the connection between those items, most likely between FastCGI and PHP. It could be anything from the wrong PHP command being used (the CLI instead of the CGI, or the CGI didn't have FastCGI support enabled when built) to a configuration issue with FastCGI.
Motoko-chan

TheEmperor

Quote from: Mouthrax on March 07, 2008, 12:22:37 PM
Not with Hostgator, I am with streamline.net [nofollow]

It is giving the 500 internal error message, also no post reply notifications are being sent out?

OK this is exactly the same problem I have: We are on Streamline.net [nofollow], we are getting a lot of 500 errors and notifications stopped (along with password retrieval emails).

As we've done the whole Streamline route and got replies from the moderately helpful (but not to the point of fixing things) to the random (copy and paste) to the unhelpful I'll save you that other.

What I'll do is break the problem down:

• This started when we got them to move us to a PHP 5 server from a PHP 4.
  • When that happened all the forum notifications went and so did blog notifications and the contact form stopped working.

This would suggest to me problems with their mail server settings, except....

• This just happened to another SMF forum I visit and they aren't on Streamline, yet their contact forms have also gone wrong.
  • When I tried to login to reply to this I couldn't remember my password and requested a new one - which has never shown up (I've had to start a new account). Are there problems here?
  • The SMF user registration password works just fine here and on our forum - the email turned up in the inbox within minutes.

So it almost suggests problems with the mail server and also almost suggests issues with SMF but not quite (the exceptions seeming to discount either explanation).

I found other more recent threads about the notifications suddenly stopping working:

www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=229630.0
www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=228873.0

This last one seems to suggest you need to update the SMF mail script to work with PHP 5. Is this right? Why would the new registration email work but the notifications and password reminder fail?

I'll start noddling on this but if anyone can throw in clear instructions on what needs to be changed and where that'd certainly help me and the other people struggling with this issue.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Emps

青山 素子

Quote from: TheEmperor on March 21, 2008, 01:23:41 PM
This last one seems to suggest you need to update the SMF mail script to work with PHP 5. Is this right? Why would the new registration email work but the notifications and password reminder fail?

AFAIK, the mail() function in PHP hasn't changed since 4.3.0 and 4.2.3 was the last significant change (with additional parameters being blocked in safe_mode).

Edit: I just checked the reminder function with SMF 1.1.4 on my dev server (Apache 2.2.6 with PHP 5.2.4 on Linux - yes, I know I need to update) and it sent just fine. I am using the PHP default method.

Mar 21 11:43:12 **** postfix/pickup[9165]: DC63FDDEC9: uid=80 from=<apache>
Mar 21 11:43:12 **** postfix/cleanup[9390]: DC63FDDEC9: message-id=<20080321184312.DC63FDDEC9@********************>
Mar 21 11:43:12 **** postfix/qmgr[3178]: DC63FDDEC9: from=<apache@********************>, size=1330, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Mar 21 11:43:13 **** postfix/smtp[9392]: DC63FDDEC9: to=<***********@*****************>, relay=***.***.***.***[***.***.***.***]:25, delay=0.34, delays=0.18/0.02/0.07/0.07, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 26402934F8)
Mar 21 11:43:13 **** postfix/qmgr[3178]: DC63FDDEC9: removed
Motoko-chan

TheEmperor

Thanks for the help - I took it over to the other thread and did some fiddling and seem to have fixed the problem, which should also fix Mouthrax's problem (and possibly others with the same issues):

www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=228873.msg1477641#msg1477641

Thanks again for the help.
Emps

Mouthrax

Mouthrax

...Although the forum does seem more stable than it was, I have only had one error message in 10 mins.

Could the fix need applying elsewhere?

SleePy

Have you asked your host?

That error is not generated by smf but the system itself.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

weightman

So HostGator finally made the upgrade, without sending me the advanced email they promised. I can access the forum and it seems to be working properly at its Mambo/Orstio bridge address: http://weightliftingexchange.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=39
but my home page, which uses ssi, is giving the error listed below now. Can anyone help? Should I ask Orstio in the mambo bridge board?  Thanks

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare ssi_shutdown() (previously declared in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/smf/SSI.php:191) in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/smf/SSI.php on line 193

SleePy

weightman,

Did you solve this?

That means SSI was included twice.
You would need to check the source code to see if you have maybe accidently included SSI.php more than once.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

weightman

Yes, pretty much solved. I had multiple SSI modules on my SMF bridged home page. I never did figure out how to get the two modules to work together so I removed one- something to do, as you said, with require, require_once_, include, include_once or something probably- no biggie.

Sarge

Quote from: weightman on July 14, 2008, 02:36:44 PM
Yes, pretty much solved.

Glad the upgrade was smooth for you! :) I'm marking this topic as solved.

Quote from: weightman on July 14, 2008, 02:36:44 PM
I had multiple SSI modules on my SMF bridged home page. I never did figure out how to get the two modules to work together so I removed one- something to do, as you said, with require, require_once_, include, include_once or something probably- no biggie.

That's what require_once() is supposed to do:
Quote from: http://www.php.net/require_once
require_once() should be used in cases where the same file might be included and evaluated more than once during a particular execution of a script, and you want to be sure that it is included exactly once to avoid problems with function redefinitions, variable value reassignments, etc.

I'm not an SMF dev, but it seems that require_once() is the preferred way to include files in SMF.

weightman

Yea, I read that. But, it didn't work. It could be that require is in yet another SSI module but if so, then more than one has the require statement right now and is working. I sort of gave up pretty quick though because it wasn't all the big a deal.

Advertisement: