Portalers!

Started by CP, August 03, 2003, 06:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CP

I started off my board without a portal and soon came to add one on.
I find it VERY useful and often lets users surf with ease of use throughout the site.
I used YaPP and it was nice. I then upgraded to Invision board and used "their" portal but was difficult to add blocks as each time, user needed to modify the code and several files to do so.
I then moved to a YAUWS portal and was excited and becoming more excited with it's added on features "coming soon" as seen here:
Some MyiBPortal 1.2 screenshots.
I've liked the post nuke and Xoops portals and all of their functionality as well.
I think a bit of each would do the "portalers" out there an awesome advantage!
Now days not many board owners like portals.
My personal problems come from when attempting to add skins; the portal also needs to be accounted for, the same with a lot of modifications. However, the convenience to me outweighs these situations.
Anyway, my .02

Jeff Lewis

Ideally a portal built and supported by SM would be very cool :) But we'll have to see...
Co-Founder of SMF

Luke

Also, Michelle and her great team at PfaBB is planning on keeping their portal up and compatible with SMF. It's a great piece of work, and I know I really enjoy using it. Plus their support is outstanding as well. Also as a note CP, their Skins are easy to add.  ;)

[Edit] Might help if I added a link.  :D

http://pfabb.lunabyte.com/

[/Edit]

Douglas

Also, MichelleMichele and her his great team at PfaBB is planning on keeping their portal up and compatible with SMF. It's a great piece of work, and I know I really enjoy using it. Plus their support is outstanding as well. Also as a note CP, their Skins are easy to add.  ;)

[Edit] Might help if I added a link.  :D

http://pfabb.lunabyte.com/ [/Edit]

Doug's note:  Yeh, I thought Michele was a she.  ::chuckles::  Check the profile.
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

David

This space for rent.

A.M.A

now am confused!
am sure she is SHE, but then again ... yabbse to SMF ..  j/k
Really sorry .. real life is demanding my full attention .. will be back soon hopefully :)

Haase

I thought Michele was a she too...  Well, in a couple of posts (s)he's mentioned a "hubby."  Although, in this day and age that doesn't really count for all that much I suppose.  
Find out about Enigma, the portal built exclusively for YaBB SE will be continuing it's work towards SMF

Luke

Michele IS a she. Ok, so I got a little heavy on the "l" key...  ;)

Either way PfaBB rocks, and I just wanted to give a shout for the people hard at work over there. Or at least that's what the "Lady Of The Web" says...   ;D

Haase

Doh...  that's right.  I forgot about her signature.    :o
Find out about Enigma, the portal built exclusively for YaBB SE will be continuing it's work towards SMF

Luke

It's ok...  I got your back.  ;D

mephisto_kur

Michele is great..and female...  But that Haase chick codes like a freakin' FIEND!
She put her foot down on the oscillation pedal - she was a transdimensional speeder!

Luke

Wow, look what the cat dragged in.
And I thought this was a "classy" site!  ;D
j/k MK...  ;)

CP

This topic was about what again....

Haase

It was about Portals.  You just got a taste of what the community over at the PfaBB/Enigma site is like  :P

Douglas

QuoteGender:  Male

Michele's Profile

That's what I was basing it off of.  I hope SHE doesn't kill me TOO badly!

::runs and strikes out his entire post::
Doug Hazard
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)

Juvenall Wilson

I was thinking that if I find the time, after I get my hands on a copy of SMF, I may start work on a portal. I've got an advanced news script (advanced as in images w/thumbnails via GD (netPMB to come later), Headlines, teasers and full page story) download manager, contact management etc that I've developed over the last year for personal use and it would be nifty to build ontop of SMF :D

We'll see how this pans out. If I can get the time and some help if needed, I'll try and start something up. :)

[Unknown]

Quote from: Juvenall Wilson on August 04, 2003, 03:47:22 AM
I was thinking that if I find the time, after I get my hands on a copy of SMF, I may start work on a portal. I've got an advanced news script (advanced as in images w/thumbnails via GD (netPMB to come later), Headlines, teasers and full page story) download manager, contact management etc that I've developed over the last year for personal use and it would be nifty to build ontop of SMF :D

We'll see how this pans out. If I can get the time and some help if needed, I'll try and start something up. :)

I think if you want to be, it might be possible for you to join the mod team (or even development) and get your hands on one early... or just become a charter member... we can talk online about this more, and I'll have to consult some people... but, it obviously depends on what you want to do...

I'd also like to see some of your code, if I could...

And sorry, other people :P... I think the only person I might also think about being added to the mod team might be Grudge, and I'm still thinking about that... and I have to consult about that too... so no promises anyone.

Don't bug me about it though, we'll see what happens.

-[Unknown]

BiErLeEuW

I have enough space to test mods  :) and have some time to spend for it

Michele

Quote from: Douglas on August 04, 2003, 12:48:52 AM
QuoteGender:  Male

Michele's Profile

That's what I was basing it off of.  I hope SHE doesn't kill me TOO badly!

::runs and strikes out his entire post::

The only reason it says Male is because everyone's viewable profile says Male here, regardless of what you set it to. :)

Yes, PfaBB will keep up to date with SMF when it comes out. And we're working on adding more features for the next release too. At this point, we're not sure what the heck our new name will be though! :)
Dubito ergo cogito ergo sum

Douglas

Michele, I am truly sorry about that.  I was basing it off your profile (confirmed bug, under repair) and the thread on YSE about italian spelling for Michele (which is the US equivilent of Michael).

Thanks for not giving me TOO much grief.  :)
Doug Hazard
* CFB Historian

Behr

Quote from: [Unknown] on August 04, 2003, 05:12:46 AM
I think the only person I might also think about being added to the mod team might be Grudge, and I'm still thinking about that... and I have to consult about that too... so no promises anyone.
-[Unknown]

I would second the motion for getting Grudge onboard too :) (no I am not the one unknown has to consult in this matter ... but I had to say it anyway.)

-Behr

jami

On Yabbse Unknown was working at a PhpNuke integration mod,
will SMF implement this ( for many users ) important integration ?

BiErLeEuW

The most mods will be rebuilt for Simple Machines Forums

[Unknown]

jami

about phpnuke integration ...

for me it would be nice the possibility to choose between Yabbse SMF displayed internally ( like almost modules ) and like a normal external link ( full page view  :D ).
Is this possible ?

Luke

I don't see why not. PfaBB has a mod for displaying the forum section in full size. It uses a second template for the forum. However, I'm not sure how much work they plan on doing in regards to mods for nuke users using SMF. But, maybe someone could help you with it.

jami

in fact I've thinked to give access to the forum through a normal link ( if this solution can work  ::) ).
but maybe something less primitive can be done  :).

Winters

Juvenall, any news on your project?`I was wondering if it is more of a portal or more of a cms (which is what we're looking for).

spottedhog

Jami,

We are working on porting SMF into PHP Nuke....  and it will open to a full page, no header, footer, or sideblocks.

Advertisement: