News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Memcache Configuration

Started by ebiven, February 21, 2008, 10:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebiven

We use a shared host and the only accelerator we have available is memcache.  When I go to configure the caching in our admin it tells me that it was unable to detect a compatible accelerator.  I'm not sure if this is to be expected with memcache or no as our host has other sites using memcache successfully.  When I put the name of the memcache server into the "Memcache settings" box without quotes our page load time increase significantly.  When I put the server name in using quotes they remain fair static with not having caching enabled.  I don't get any errors in my logs either way.

Unfortunately my host has been unable to determine if the memcache server is answering to our queries or not.  I haven't been able to find any documentation I would consider reliable on the memcache configuration.

board url: http://fatchatter.com/
phpinfo: http://fatchatter.com/Packages/info.php

The board's performance really isn't a concern right now, I just don't want to be absent from the wheel when/if it does become an issue so I'd rather get this running sooner than later.

H

QuoteWhen I go to configure the caching in our admin it tells me that it was unable to detect a compatible accelerator.

Although this is slightly confusing I don't think memcache is included in the list of accelerators that SMF checks for. Hopefully this will be clarified in a future release.

As for you other question I'm no memcache expert so hopefully someone will come along who does know the answer!
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

JayBachatero

This is actually expected for memcache.  We have changed that for 2.0.  In the mean time use this package and it should detect memcache.  You need to tell it the server to connect to though.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

ebiven

Ok, I installed the patch and it detected memcache.  I put the memcache server name into the text box without quotes and I don't seem to see a difference, but at least it isn't increasing page load times by 10x.

Is there some facility I can use to verify SMF is going through memcache and getting some hits?

SleePy

If you add $db_show_debug = true; into your settings.php it will.
It will add some text at the bottom. Look for cache hits.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

ebiven

Gentlemen, I can't thank you enough for the help.  SMF is a heck of a product and the support is every bit as good.

Advertisement: