[BETA PLUS] WYSIWYG Rich Text Editor for Post and Private Message New Technique

Started by eCardMax.com, December 28, 2004, 03:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack

Yeah, I noticed a problem with quoting, using pure BBcode would probably fix this. Also some way to easily access the standard smileys would be good too.

scottb

jack

Oops, yeah< I meant to say that it is an excellent mod too! (instead of just highlighting problems ;))

Also, how about making the radio-buttons trigger a refresh of the page, so that the changeover happens immediately?

OvermindDL1

Actually if you look at the javascript, they could easily implement a way for the radio buttons to work without a refresh.  Its not bad code, but it has a lot of bloat in it, and a few slight bugs, plus a few things could have been implemented in a far better fashion.  But yes, very well done thus far.

Grudge

Quite nice actually. One bug I noticed was if you try to post with just a smiley it loses it (On preview at least). Would be nice if the emoticons could be drawn from SMF but I guess that makes it more complicated :)
I'm only a half geek really...

eCardMax.com

Quote from: OvermindDL1 on December 29, 2004, 05:16:39 PM
Actually if you look at the javascript, they could easily implement a way for the radio buttons to work without a refresh.  Its not bad code, but it has a lot of bloat in it, and a few slight bugs, plus a few things could have been implemented in a far better fashion.  But yes, very well done thus far.
---> I've updated this feature. Right now user can set which editor they want to use each time they post their message. I use browser cookie to remember their setting. Add the javascript code to refresh the page I think it is not a good idea because user can lose what they have typed.  My solution is show up a pop up window to tell them hit preview button to see the change.

Quote from: Grudge on December 29, 2004, 06:41:38 PM
Would be nice if the emoticons could be drawn from SMF but I guess that makes it more complicated :)

---> Insert SMF happy face to HotEditor is easy. You just need to use FTP to go inside folder richedit/smileys - then create new subfolder (such as SMF_smileys - upload SMF happy face icons to SMF_smileys folder. That's it - HotEditor will show it on the category drop down box automatically.

Quote from: OvermindDL1 on December 29, 2004, 09:30:45 AM
I am seeing a problem with possible security. For something like this to work properly it would need to setup what it will send using BBC code instead of html due to security concerns. ...
---> I'd be nice if you give me an example "security risk" when using Rich Text Editor. Hmm. How can people break your board by using Rich Text Editor?

Thanks for testing my MOD.
Jim
www.eCardMAX.com [nofollow]
E-cards are a fun and interactive way
to entice repeat visitors to a site,
Visit us for more in detail  :)

MY MOD:
Time to add WYSIWYG Editor to your SMF forum

OvermindDL1

Its not the editor per-say, but the functionality it unleashes.  People that are even mildly versed in how the php server/client funcionality works and has a basic understanding of this code (by downloading it as all of us have) could easily create their own page that would allow them to upload whatever they wished, that could very well compromise the currently existing html on a page.  By restricting things to board bbcode only, it allows it to directly interact with the currently existing forum, without needing to overwrite/change currently existing post code.  Plus, if there is a way to uplaod raw html at all, even if it is first parsed through something client-side, people will find a way to do it and use it.

deathshadow

Hotmail doesn't like your send method:

Name of File hoteditor.zip
Virus Scan Result  Unknown virus scanner failure Virus Found
Note: There is no cure available for the virus on the file hoteditor.zip

It is not possible to download files from Hotmail that contain incurable viruses. Contact the originator of the file, inform them that the file contains a virus, and ask them to send a virus-free version of the file.

"There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies." – C.A.R. Hoare, The 1980 ACM Turing Award Lecture
http://www.cutcodedown.com

BES

Will this great editor be added to a future SMF release?

Can't wait!

Thanks for the effort!

OvermindDL1

Not a chance.  This thing is so bug ridden that incorporating it into SMF would be near suicide.

Jerry

Quote from: jimatbes on January 26, 2005, 11:54:00 AM
Will this great editor be added to a future SMF release?

Can't wait!

Thanks for the effort!

I believe it will be best left as a mod :-X

- Jerry
Find me on:
Facebook
Twitter
PlanetSMF

"If all you look for is the negative in things, you will never see the positive."

mostof

Can someone explain to me this line in Post.template.php

<!-- //EDITOR INSERT RICH TEXT EDITOR CODE HERE -->

I don't really understand what's happenning at this point....it changes from php code to js suddenly and I'm getting a parse error after making these changes.

Treguard001

Can I ask if anyone has made a quick reply box to match?
Treguard001

www.billfans.com

Louis (CSpotkill)

Interesting. I was thinking of modifying TinyMCE to fit in SMF, but I guess someone beat me to it. (I still think TinyMCE looks better, though :p) What stumped me was translating the BBCode to HTML and back again. How would you display quote and code boxes? I was thinking of just settling for quote tags in plain text.

Anyway, then life caught up with me and I forgot about it, after playing with the required regex and giving up when the HTML-to-BBCode wasn't working the way I wanted it to. Right now, Friendly Search sounds like a lot more fun. I might post the code I was working on, or go back to it in the future, who knows. :)
My SMF Mods:

ivytony

!Hachi!

Happy Ramadan

Midgard

what's load time? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? too many slow...

but, not bad.

and this not worked at http://www.hoteditor.com/sm/index.php?topic=32.0 ...

Michelle

Nice idea but it has a huge load of bugs to put it into our forum, sorry.
I understand though that it's still a beta. Any idea when the final edition is going to come out?

Some ideas I had:
-It would be better if the setting about which editor to use was in the member's control panel, like in vBulletin's WYSIWYG editor.
-It would be better if the emoticons, symbols etc were in a drop down box rather in a popup. Also the popup takes a lot time to load and it shows the previous action before it loads.
-It would be a good idea to disable some features (if not totally maybe via the admin control panel) so that it loads faster. I also find useless some of the features like the Wordart,clipart or view calendar for instance.
-The Justify alignment simply does not work.
-If you select the default editor to be the SMF built-in one and press preview the preview is terrible.
-Is it possible to make the quote and code tags WYSIWG too?
-We are using the YaBB classic theme, does it work with it?
-Does it have settings or we have to use it as is and change the code in order to change something?

Thanks for your time reading this. We may test it soon if you fix even half of the bugs.
Anywayz, sorry for the bad criticism but I really want to have it in our forum and I was so dissapointed with the bugs...
Sorry for my English, it's not my native language... :(
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are greek or know how to read greek visit www.e-steki.com .

Advertisement: