News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Boy do I need Help!

Started by RetiredTVguy2, February 25, 2008, 02:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RetiredTVguy2

Hello super smart forum builder computer people! :D I need help, I dont even know if Im posting this in the correct forum & topic, but the title sounds about right.  ;D

I would like to start my own SMF powered Community bulletin board but haven't a clue. I have read through a bunch of the forums here and admit it is all french to me. But I know one thing for sure, I like what I see with all the SMF forums that I belong to.

So before anyone ask's me "how much space I need" "Is it SQL  or htp" or "hibbel-lee imity- squibble-sause" I have no idea, but I can direct you to several sites that look like what Im looking for.

Basicly I need someone to start it off for me and let me take it over and help me when I screw it up, LOL! I would need it to be free to start off with and can up-grade later. I guess Im looking for free hosting, did I say that right?  ::)

So what super nice & smart computer forum building person can help?

lordtron

I can surely help you out to get started and everything.

VainSoftGames.com - New Design To Gaming

norhe

well first i can help you... make an account on these web hosting forums x10hosting.com when your donw with that tell me the pass and the c panel website and username....

forums out!!!!! at www.unknownscape.com/norhe :)

HoTmetal

First off, welcome to SMF! It truly is great forum software & a great online community. As a general rule, I wouldn't go giving out your pw to anyone.. even when/if someone on the (smf) team is helping you out, I would change it after we are done. (just to be safe)

So where to start:
You mentioned you wanted to try free hosting. While free hosting is free, it isn't  without a price & shouldn't be considered for a large site. But in your situation I think it would be a great place to "test run" SMF.

There are many free one's out there. (a quick search here at SMF should turn up a few you can try) speaking of search, as you grow with SMF, you will eventually have questions & the odds are you weren't the 1st. The community as a whole is very helpful as is the team. :D

Once you find a free host, spend hours playing with your new SMF forum. If you aren't sure how to do something, check the doc site, do a quick search here, if you still can't find the answer, be sure to fully explain what you are trying to do. Include as much detail as possible to obtain a quick answer & to better help others with the same or similar question.

Hope that helps :D 

norhe

look in hosting area. you can find some hosts there. and i know 2 that i used which are x10hosting.com and freehostia.com. there really good :)

MichelleParlier

Quote from: RetiredTVguy2 on February 25, 2008, 02:25:48 PM
Hello super smart forum builder computer people! :D I need help, I dont even know if Im posting this in the correct forum & topic, but the title sounds about right.  ;D

I would like to start my own SMF powered Community bulletin board but haven't a clue. I have read through a bunch of the forums here and admit it is all french to me. But I know one thing for sure, I like what I see with all the SMF forums that I belong to.

So before anyone ask's me "how much space I need" "Is it SQL  or htp" or "hibbel-lee imity- squibble-sause" I have no idea, but I can direct you to several sites that look like what Im looking for.

Basicly I need someone to start it off for me and let me take it over and help me when I screw it up, LOL! I would need it to be free to start off with and can up-grade later. I guess Im looking for free hosting, did I say that right?  ::)

So what super nice & smart computer forum building person can help?

Help!!!  I"m actually looking for pretty much the same thing!  I'm completely green when it comes to any of this stuff.   :( I'm not actually looking for "free" hosting (but free IS nice LOL), but something affordable.  I do own a couple of domain names.  What I'm trying to do is start a message board/forum.  I have a couple of examples of what I'm looking for.  Can anyone help? 

Michelle

norhe

i can help you just tell me what you need?

MichelleParlier

Quote from: norhe on March 01, 2008, 09:57:47 PM
i can help you just tell me what you need?

Hi!  Thanks for offering to help!  I did finally set up a site, but not through Simple Machines.  Does that make a difference?  Can you still help me?  What I want to do now is change the name to my domain name, so it'll show up when someone Googles it.  It's also quite plain and I want to make it a little  (okay... A LOT) more attractive.  Any and all help is totally appreciated, as I have no clue what I'm doing here. 

Michelle

norhe

well really i thinks it is fine...

MichelleParlier

Quote from: norhe on March 02, 2008, 06:48:31 PM
well really i thinks it is fine...

Thank you so much!  I still can't figure out how to change the name to my domain name.  Any suggestions? 

Michelle

norhe

well whats your forums? like is it smf or php?

Advertisement: