News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

My Mods - Available For You To Take Over Active Development.

Started by karlbenson, February 27, 2008, 12:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlbenson

Oops, I missed replyign to that one.

The staff will remove mine when they approve yours.
At least in the meantime anyone search for it can find it.

I'll now mark that one off. Thanks again for taking it over.

karlbenson

jack

Quote from: karlbenson on March 06, 2008, 12:48:35 AMI doubt that sort of plugin is possible for php based software.

A bit OT, but take a look at Typo3's extensions system. The developer has to jump through a number of hoops, but it is an absolute dream from a user's perspective.

It is possible in PHP, but I agree that SMF would need to be written from the ground-up with that sort of thing in mind.

karlbenson

I've taken the decision not to update the mods now.
So the mods really do need new homes.

I'm not going to be able to continue supporting them as i have been.

[SiNaN]

Karl, I really liked to take over some of your mods -especially the ignore topics mod- but I have also lost interest on coding and supporting mods. To be honest I am also planning to look for people to take over my mods.
Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

chadon

I already complained about this. What makes SMF a great forum is it's list of mods available. I suggested to have the most popular ones implemented in SMF as options we can select like developpers did with Wordpress. Now the best mod developer is leaving us and we are left with a software we won't be able to upgrade or with features we have to delete. Thanks Karlbenson for the work you did, I hope it wasn't a waste of time and others will take over your mods.

Eliana Tamerin

Karl isn't leaving us. He's trying to focus on other mods, new mods, instead of supporting one's he already has done. It's basically just a way for him to take a load off while allowing some new developer to come in and get his/her feet wet by supporting a mod.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

chadon

That's good news but seeing the number of volunteers showing up here, I doubt many of the old mods will be supported in the future. I understand Karl's reasons to stop supporting them, that's what happens when you are alone and have done so much work for the community  ;)

N3RVE

Karlbenson,
Sent You a PM!

@[●ριмρєя12●] ;

Creating SMF mods/themes is way to easy!
Have You been to the Online Manual?

Quote from: chadon on May 07, 2008, 09:39:10 AM
I doubt many of the old mods will be supported in the future.

The Future . . .?
Somany mods listed above have not been updated for 1.1.5 and  some are compatible with SMF 2.0!!
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo
Former Marketing Co-ordinator, Simple Machines.
ralph [at] simplemachines [dot] org                       
Quote"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Jade Elizabeth

Quote from: [nerve] on May 07, 2008, 10:08:03 AM
@[●ριмρєя12●] ;

LOL

Karl is doing the right thing. In order to move on to new and better mods, he needs to put the old ones behind him :D
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

N3RVE

Quote from: Alundra on May 07, 2008, 10:41:30 AM
Quote from: [nerve] on May 07, 2008, 10:08:03 AM
@[●ριмρєя12●] ;

LOL

Karl is doing the right thing. In order to move on to new and better mods, he needs to put the old ones behind him :D

Sounds like he's dumping old stuff for newbies but NO!
I think he has too may mods to maintain!
* [nerve] thinks Sharing it among community members is not a bad idea!
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo

Eliana Tamerin

1.1.5 support really isn't that much of an issue. Most of the changes in 1.1.5 don't affect mods much. So updating is simply checking whether any of the changes did affect the mod's code, its install or its functions. Which is unlikely.

Most patches are like that. They change little things, some that are used by mods as reference points (which is why they don't like to install, but still work if you have them installed prior to upgrading), and generally are just tweaks. Important tweaks, but tweaks nonetheless.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

N3RVE

@Karlbenson,
Sorry, for the time wasted; I've had so much to attend to lately!
I'll update the mods I'm taking over and get back to You soon*

Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo

_Anthony_

Can I take over you crummiest one I want to learn more about modifications.

Jade Elizabeth

Quote from: MrMoney on May 23, 2008, 09:47:07 PM
Can I take over you crummiest one I want to learn more about modifications.

Any BBC tag ones, or the case insensitive smilies will be good for you then :).
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

_Anthony_

Jumpmasterrt

I grabbed Wiki BBCode and Easy Edit Meta Data.

Any way to get the support threads that are already started to stay the same when they take yours down? It would be kind of silly to start another thread just because they were taken over by someone else....

spearfish

I might be interested.... what kind of active development needs to be taken on the simpler mods though?

Advertisement: