News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

SMFChess

Started by feeble, February 29, 2008, 11:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H

Cleaned topic a little. Lets keep this on topic!
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

vinod41

i fixed it :)

just one bug :P

in this game http://consoleplayers.com/index.php?action=chess;id=4 [nofollow]

starting image here
http://consoleplayers.com/richedit/upload/2k7045640f8a.jpg [nofollow]

see the placement of pawns king queen they are somewhere else LOL

Godsongz

Quote from: vinod41 on May 03, 2008, 02:33:10 AMsee the placement of pawns king queen they are somewhere else LOL

That's not a bug, that's a Chess960 game.  It's also called "Fischer Random Chess".  It's an optional chess "variant" you can pick when challenging someone to a game of SMFChess.

Spike50

Would love to install the mod... will it be available for the 2.0 version of SMF soon?

Paracelsus

Quote from: Godsongz on May 03, 2008, 10:00:27 AM
Quote from: vinod41 on May 03, 2008, 02:33:10 AMsee the placement of pawns king queen they are somewhere else LOL

That's not a bug, that's a Chess960 game.  It's also called "Fischer Random Chess".  It's an optional chess "variant" you can pick when challenging someone to a game of SMFChess.

Actually, there's a huge bug with that variant, since the check equals checkmate, something that feeble already said he would try to fix in the next release.

WebmistressFL

Quote from: Lord Anubis on January 08, 2008, 02:22:00 PM
I made a block code for TinyPortal that incorporates all the SMFChess user functions

Screenshot:

Demo:
Live Demo Check out the right block, and click on chess  ;)

Instructions:

1. Download THIS FILE, and unzip the package

2. Upload the folder "chessblock" to the root of your forum
3. Insert the code below into a PHP block
4. Enjoy!

I downloaded & installed the chess package from the New Features section and SMF said that it was 'installed successfully'.  Then when I didn't see it anywhere on my forum, I looked at these instructions regarding 'uploading the folder "chessblock" to the "root" of my forum and then 'inserting' the "chessblock" code into a "PHP block". I don't even know what that is or where to find it!? I'm sorry to be a newbie, but I'm doing the best I can...:-(

How can I get this chess game to work on my recently updated 1.1.5? I never realized how hard it would be being a webmaster!!!  ::)

"Some things have to be believed to be seen..."  - Unknown

Godsongz

Webmistress, 1st you should know that SMFChess and the Chess Block by Anubis are two seperate things, so let's not complicate it yet and just stick to SMFChess itself. 

Are you using a special theme (basically anything other than the SMF Default "Core" theme)?  If so, then there are some additional edits that will need to be done.  Those changes can be found here.

Are you running TinyPortal with your SMF?  If so, then getting the Chess Block working will be easy once SMFChess is working.  If not, then the Chess Block is useless to you.  SMFChess will still work fine.

What is your website address?

HellBent

Could someone please tell me if the issue with not being able to castle has been solved? 

Godsongz

Quote from: HellBent on May 06, 2008, 12:44:44 PM
Could someone please tell me if the issue with not being able to castle has been solved? 

In a normal game or one of the variants?  I think there was an issue with castling in Chess960, but I thought it was taken care of.  In regular games I castle often (and early) and it works every time.

WebmistressFL

Quote from: Godsongz on May 05, 2008, 06:35:48 PM
Webmistress, 1st you should know that SMFChess and the Chess Block by Anubis are two seperate things, so let's not complicate it yet and just stick to SMFChess itself. 

Are you using a special theme (basically anything other than the SMF Default "Core" theme)?  If so, then there are some additional edits that will need to be done.  Those changes can be found here.

Are you running TinyPortal with your SMF?  If so, then getting the Chess Block working will be easy once SMFChess is working.  If not, then the Chess Block is useless to you.  SMFChess will still work fine.

What is your website address?

my website address is: http://www.lostorfoundforums.com

I'm using Sleek Black115 as my new theme. I have NO idea if I'm running TinyPortal (what is that?) or not.....wow, I really am in unchartered territory here.....:-(

I also have another question. How do I add a static home page to my site the way that you did to yours? I also would like to have a forum and chess button on the navi bar the way that yours does. I just wish a big book with all the answers on how to do all this stuff would just fall right out of the sky and into my lap! lol

Godsongz

Quote from: WebmistressFL on May 07, 2008, 09:39:53 AMmy website address is: http://www.lostorfoundforums.com

I'm using Sleek Black115 as my new theme. I have NO idea if I'm running TinyPortal (what is that?) or not.....wow, I really am in unchartered territory here.....:-(

You are not running TinyPortal, so don't worry about Anubis' Chess Block :)  It won't do you any good.  The index page for the Sleek Black theme will need to be manually edited.  I can do it for you if you like.  Grab a copy of your /themes/slickblack/index.template.php file and email it to me.  I'll make the changes and send it back.

WebmistressFL

Quote from: Godsongz on May 07, 2008, 10:06:41 AM

You are not running TinyPortal, so don't worry about Anubis' Chess Block :)  It won't do you any good.  The index page for the Sleek Black theme will need to be manually edited.  I can do it for you if you like.  Grab a copy of your /themes/slickblack/index.template.php file and email it to me.  I'll make the changes and send it back.

I e-mailed a copy of my index.template.php file for Sleek Black theme. I hope you can make chess work on my site! Omg I would be ecstatic lol!!! Also did you read my other question on my last post to you? About how I can add a static home page to my site? Sorry if I'm bothering you with so many questions! I just feel a little (well, alot) lost.....:-p

Godsongz

Check your email, I've sent the edited file back to you.

About the static home page you mentioned on my site, that is the TinyPortal I was talking about.  It's actually not static, but dynamically built by TinyPortal from a selection of blocks, articles, and forum posts.  See http://www.tinyportal.net/ for more info on it.

WebmistressFL

Quote from: Godsongz on May 07, 2008, 11:05:02 AM
Check your email, I've sent the edited file back to you.

About the static home page you mentioned on my site, that is the TinyPortal I was talking about.  It's actually not static, but dynamically built by TinyPortal from a selection of blocks, articles, and forum posts.  See http://www.tinyportal.net/ for more info on it.

I looked at my profile and the 'Allow members to e-mail you' option was UNchecked. I put a check in that box, so try to e-mail me again. I should get it now (hopefully).  ;)

I checked my inbox and I didn't see your e-mail :-(  (I checked my spam/bulk folder and it's not in there either) Maybe it'll take me a few minutes to receive it. Anyway, thanks for telling me about TinyPortal. I'm going to look into it but I won't install it if it's going to conflict with the chess game. I'll keep on checking my inbox and hopefully I'll receive your e-mail soon. I can't wait to install chess and tell my members about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :-D

WebmistressFL

I tried your code and it didn't work!  :(  when I replaced the contents of the original index.template.php info with what you sent me, I clicked on SAVE. and when I went back into my site and clicked on HOME, it brought me to a blank white page with the exact same code you sent me!

What did I do wrong????? Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh   :'(

Dave123

In the Dilber Theme the "button" looks weird like it has a extra background pic.
see the screendump:

What can I change in index.template.php (or somewher else)

//Begin SMFChess code
if($context['allow_chess']){
echo ($context['current_action'] == 'chess' || $context['browser']['is_ie4']) ? '<td class="maintab_active_' . $first . '">&nbsp;</td>' : '' , '
<td valign="top" class="maintab_' , $context['current_action'] == 'chess' ? 'active_back' : 'back' , '">
<a href="', $scripturl, '?action=chess">'.$txt['SMFChess'].'', $context['user']['chess_turn'] != 0 ? '[<strong>!</strong>]' : '' , '</a>
</td>' , $context['current_action'] == 'chess' ? '<td class="maintab_active_' . $last . '">&nbsp;</td>' : '';
}
//END SMFChess code

-------------------------------------

// arcade knop.
  if ($context['user']['is_logged'])

echo'
<td align="center" class="menubg' , $current_action == 'arcade' ? '2' : '' , '">
<a href="', $scripturl, '?action=arcade">' , $txt['arcade'] , '</a>
</td>';

HellBent

Quote from: Godsongz on May 06, 2008, 06:36:06 PM
Quote from: HellBent on May 06, 2008, 12:44:44 PM

In a normal game or one of the variants?  I think there was an issue with castling in Chess960, but I thought it was taken care of.  In regular games I castle often (and early) and it works every time.

Hi Godsongz :)

My friend and I were playing the classic variant but he was unable to castle. I'll have to get him to practice a few more games with me to see if it happens again I guess.

texastig

I'm running smf 1.1.5 with tp 1.0.5 beta and I'm trying to install the smf chess module through the TP. I get this error:
'Language files could not be copied to Languages folder.Please check permissions.'

I made sure that my language directory on my site was set to 777. I also set it at 755. But it still won't let me install it.
Please advise and thanks for your help.
Thanks,
TT

gmvasco

@feeble
I've been watching this mod for over a year now (I'm on the first pages of this topic), and I've been waiting for the language files so I can translate to Portuguese. I know that you do this for free and all, so I ask you pretty please, get the language files done ASAP. I've installed the mod, but I will not make it available to my users untill I have the language done.

Thank you very much for the great mod, and for the (hopefuly) soon to be released language files :)

@Lord Anubis
I followed your intructions on the TP module, but I'm using TP 1.05, so there are some diferences:

1- PHP block is called phpbox  (who cares, right?)
2- On the Panels and Blocks TP admin page, the activate button (red circle) doens't work for this block. I pasted the code, in the phpbox, and I save it. I click on the red circle to activate it and it turns green but when I save thast it turns back to red  (this one I care)!

So, is it something to do with TP 1.05? Or smf 1.1.5? Or the php code?

I've checked the path to the images on your code, and I did upload the stuff to the right place. Besides, that would only give me a missing image error. Not this weird "I will not activate it" error.
Thanks for any help.

Lord Anubis

@gmvasco

It has to be something wrong with TP, as I am using this on my site with no errors

I have noticed with TP1.05 if you have a bunch of blocks that it has a hard time with the turning on and off of blocks...I had to delete some of the blocks that I was not using to make newer blocks work...

Advertisement: