News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMFChess

Started by feeble, February 29, 2008, 11:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

machmanx

That sucks.  SMF Chess is kinda an important mod to a lot of ppl I talk to.  And if there's not gonna be chess for the future versions of SMF, it could be a big problem for a lot of forums if they want to upgrade.  I know at least 6 sites that use the Chess mod. 

To Everyone: Is anyone willing to take this over?  I would, but I barely know Java .  C++ is my forte :D

PLAYBOY

Is there somebody gonna make this mod for 1.1.6? and 2.0?

I also think it would be good if you add the translations in mod page.

Hoochie Coochie Man

I'm using 1.1.6 and I'm using this mod too.
İnadına SMF 1.1.X

PLAYBOY

Well same here. but i meant some update and making it ready also for 2.0.
wouldnt it be good?

Godsongz

For whatever reason, Feeble has gone quiet and it seems he's going to stay that way.  It would be such a shame if this great mod died for want of active development.  I barely know enough to get by in php and mysql, but in java...  I couldn't find my own @$$ with both hands. 

SMFChess is choking now, but it's completely dead when SMF2 comes out of beta.  We need a mod developer to take over this project, with or without Feeble's permission. 

Bigguy

There must be permission given from the mod author before anyone takes it over.

brianjw

Quote from: Bigguy on September 17, 2008, 05:53:36 PM
There must be permission given from the mod author before anyone takes it over.
Well, I would say that would apply for a while. But for mods that the authors haven't been back in years, then I think it doesn't apply.

Bigguy

Yes there would be some sort of time limit on it of course; but every effort should be put behind trying to contact the mod author first. :)

brianjw

I emailed him. I am not going to take this mod over because it is complicated over my head. I just contacted him to give me permission to give someone permission to take over the mod lol. :P

weightman

Feeble has done a fantastic job on this mod and I would hate to see it taken over by anyone. Let's give him some time to take care of life and maybe he will get re-motivated. Perhaps, and I thought this before he got busy, that he should focus less on expanding on it to include more chess variations and instead just defeat bugs and concentrate on regular old chess.

Just my opinion.

Bigguy

Have you had an answer...is he coming back or. ???

Quote from: brianjw on September 18, 2008, 04:36:07 PM
I emailed him. I am not going to take this mod over because it is complicated over my head. I just contacted him to give me permission to give someone permission to take over the mod lol. :P

brianjw

I got an answer received about a few minutes ago:
Hey Brian,
Thanks for your email,
I do apologise for how I have left things with the mod.
I've always regretted how I've left it, but it was necessary at the time.

I have some time coming up, where I should be able to spend some time on the mod again, but I can't promise anything as I'm in my last semester for Uni.
If you can give me a couple of days to read through the thread, and get my knees ready to grovel out some apologies to anyone that's still looking at this mod.

But, anyone is welcome to the mod if they can stand my code.

Regards,
feeble

By this, I say that we should wait until he has some time.

I also think that if anyone was to take this mod over after we give feeble some time, it should be someone who is clearly experienced enough to do so. I am not the type of person to take this mod over. ;)

damnitmike

brian, I got faith in ya bro....

I see no reason for feeble to think he has to apologize.....what happened with him happens to us all....each and everyone of us...

And no sense wasting time with apologies....I think we're all thrilled to see him back in the saddle again....

Bigguy

I agree; Feeble needs time to come back and check things out and get organized. Lets give him time to do what he needs and decide what the best course of action is.

Paracelsus

I would say top priorities when feeble comes back are:

1. Fix bugs (ex. Dark Chess checkmate bug)
2. Port to 2.0

If this is done, then I think MOD's perennity is assured.

NeoMorph

Has anyone come across a bug where peeps move their piece and it moves back... Members using IE are fine but Firefox and Chrome (may be others) find this happens and they have to refresh the page to get the move to show up.

It's strange because IE is normally the one that gets the formatting wrong heh.

Godsongz

Quote from: NeoMorph on September 23, 2008, 11:40:28 AM
Has anyone come across a bug where peeps move their piece and it moves back... Members using IE are fine but Firefox and Chrome (may be others) find this happens and they have to refresh the page to get the move to show up.

It's strange because IE is normally the one that gets the formatting wrong heh.

Yes, I noticed it when I was testing Chrome.  hehe, funny, now that I think of it, SMF Chess was the 1st thing I looked at in Chrome.

feeble

Gday Guys, Long time.
First off just wanted to apologies with how I handled the mod. I can't promise it wont happen again as I'm in my final stretch for Uni.
But I'm sorry none the less.

I've cleared my head over the last couple of days redesigning my experimental site (not for ie users) and reading through the past pages....
Whilst updating I accidently deleted the package parser. So some are now broken, but I think SMF site has them in their mod site now, so no biggy.

Im not going to make to many changes to the current mod which is compatible for SMF 1.1.6 unless you request.
I want to turn my attention to updating it for SMF2.

So basically just bug fixes for 1.1.6
and Full Changes for SMF2.

Bug fixes for 1.1.6 ie SMFChess
-Dark Chess
Anything else?

for SMF2 ie SMFChess2
-Scrapping Scriptaculous - should make speed improvements, help with different sites but no effects
Anything else? still a big job

Keep in mind this is just words, but i'll try and get it done.

Sabre™

wOOt!!
Welcome back champ! :)
As youve read, youve been sorely missed. So its good to see youre still kickin out there ;)
Those two youve stated are all I can think of, but someone may have other input.
Good luck through Uni mate.
If you swing through Sydney, I'll have the beer on ice for ya ;)

regards
Do NOT give admin and/or ftp details to just anybody, see if they are trust worthy first!!  Do your homework ;)

weightman

Welcome back feeble! I agree updating for 2.0 is biggest need!

Thanks very much!

Advertisement: