News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMFChess

Started by feeble, February 29, 2008, 11:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godsongz

Quote from: ladyshanae on October 07, 2008, 12:59:53 PMDo I have something missing from a language file maybe?

Probably...  make sure the following code...
//Begin SMFChess
$txt['SMFChess'] = 'Chess';
$txt['SMFChess_admin'] = 'Chess Admin';
$txt['SMFChess_bbccode'] = array(
'darkchesswarning' => 'Dark Chess gametypes cannot be viewed till finished',
'failed' => 'Failed',
'vs' => 'vs',
'nomatch' => 'No match found under id',
);
//End SMFChess

...is in your index.english.php

ladyshanae

Ahhh HA!

I forgot I had language files in some of my other layouts that I had edited.... I usually use the default for everything... so once I fixed those - it was all groovy :D

Thanks for your help!!!!

cafenubia

Quote from: ladyshanae on October 07, 2008, 12:23:50 PM
Cafenubia - you need to add the link yourself to the top bar since you are using a custom theme.  You can access the page by going here:

http://yourboardURL/index.php?action=chess

As for me, I'm getting a TON of Undefined index errors.  I am not that familiar with what the error itself means, though I know it's coming up pretty much every time I access any part of the chess mod.  Any ideas on how I can fix this?  I've tried to do searches here, but I'm coming up empty handed.

Thanks ladyshanae
Im new to smf so i havent yet figured how to add items to the menu,ive manually added info to the index.template.php of my custom template and the chess option shows in the menu for the admin but not for the members.I followed the instructions from the mod site for that template.

Does anyone know why it doesnt show on the members menu?

cafenubia

;D 8)
Never mind i figured it out my permissions needed to be set........thanks

Plus

thekid65

Quote from: M3THOD on September 30, 2008, 03:22:37 PM
Thank you feeble for releasing 2.0 version! Been standing by waiting patiently.  :D

I'm not sure if this is a real thank you, or a thank you for things to come? We're upgrading to 2.0 this weekend, and are quite bummed about the loss of this fantastic game. Does the version for 2.0 exist yet?

Godsongz

thekid65

Ahhh.. thank you oh-so-much. How's the beta working out for folks so far?

thekid65

The install of 2.0 went smoothly, no errors. However no pieces show on the board (SS below), nor are there any options available to select any pieces on the settings page. What did we miss  ???

feeble

Quote from: thekid65 on October 10, 2008, 06:41:56 AM
The install of 2.0 went smoothly, no errors. However no pieces show on the board (SS below), nor are there any options available to select any pieces on the settings page. What did we miss  ???

Its having trouble finding the images used in SMFChess

check the location of the broken images

it should be Themes/default/SMFChess/pieces/

then make sure the images are there

if not, you will have to upload the SMFChess folder manually to your default folder

thekid65

Got'er fixed, the img's somehow got lost in the original install. Thanks for your help.

feeble

Small Update:
Been busy this week, so haven't got much done
Should have an update out hopefully by the end of the week

thekid65

One minor issue we've had with both the old version, and this latest one, is the inability to turn off the pm function notifying you that it's your move. Even though the personal preference option box is unchecked, the pm's keep coming through, which can be a bit annoying when one has multiple games going on. Any thoughts?

Godsongz

hmm..  there's still a bug (or two) in Dark Chess.  I placed my friend in check earlier tonight, but he didn't know it.  Status never changed from "In Progress" to "Check", and he couldn't see my bishop attacking his king.  The only reason he knew something was up was that to him everything was an illegal move (he didn't know he had to protect his king).

Also, I've noticed that if I log out, or log in as an account not involved in a Dark Chess game, then I can see a lot more than I should.  I think perhaps Dark Chess games should be invisible to everyone but the players until the game is completed.

Paracelsus

I've already reported that. Anyone can see everybody's pawns, which shouldn't be allowed, according to my understanding of Dark Chess. I think feeble already reckon that.

However, the "Check" status should be impossible in Dark Chess, since the goal is to be sharp when your king is attacked and not make your life easier... however, perhaps we should take a closer look on the illegal moves when in check (I really think there shouldn't be any illegal moves actually).

Take a look at wikipedia on this:
Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_chess
Dark chess is a chess variant with incomplete information, similar to Kriegspiel. It was invented by Jens Bæk Nielsen and Torben Osted in 1989. A player doesn't see the entire board, only their own pieces (including pawns), and squares where these pieces could move.

Rules
The goal of this chess variant is not to checkmate the king, but to capture it. A player isn't told if their king is in check. Failing to move out of check, or moving into check, are both legal, and can obviously result in a capture and loss of the game.

Godsongz

Quote from: Paracelsus on October 14, 2008, 08:30:23 AMHowever, the "Check" status should be impossible in Dark Chess, since the goal is to be sharp when your king is attacked and not make your life easier... however, perhaps we should take a closer look on the illegal moves when in check (I really think there shouldn't be any illegal moves actually).

Ah ha, I asked my friend exactly what he was trying to do while he was in check (and didn't know it), and he said he was attempting to Castle.  So, Dark Chess is calling it illegal because he was trying to castle out of a check..  even though in Dark Chess there isn't supposed to be a check?

Paracelsus

In Dark Chess there shouldn't be any illegal moves, so if you move your king into check, then you're dead meat... that's the strategy of Dark Chess - to protect the king and not doing foolish moves.

feeble

I do realise this,
Dark Chess is a pain to implement.

The chess functions have alot of checks to make sure the move is legal, and its counter intuitive to break these checks.
Ill have it fixed soon, ill check the castling calls.

weightman

I vote for dumping dark chess and focusing on classic, can't be improved, chess.

Paracelsus

Quote from: weightman on October 14, 2008, 07:24:29 PM
I vote for dumping dark chess and focusing on classic, can't be improved, chess.

No no no... Dark Chess is an excellent option for those who don't usually play chess and don't want to risk playing against more experienced players. It's much more of a psychological game than a strategy game, which makes it very addictive for certain audiences (specially "poker-like" players).

Advertisement: