News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMFChess

Started by feeble, February 29, 2008, 11:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magnitude2007

how to enable this mod i installed and paste the 3 file into source directory now i dont see any thing related to chess in my forum

busterone

Are you using the default core, or a different theme? This mod will only install on the core. You must make the manual edits to any other theme.

digger

SMFChess 2.0beta install on SMF2 RC2 without errors, but have some Curve related issues. Can anybody try to fix it?

busterone

SMFChess 2.0 beta ?   where did you get that?  This mod has not been updated for 2.0.

digger

Quote from: busterone on November 11, 2009, 09:40:42 PM
SMFChess 2.0 beta ?   where did you get that?  This mod has not been updated for 2.0.

This mod was been updated for SMF2. It was published in this or old tread.

Package attached.

busterone

Curious. It is not on this mod's download page.
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1102
I have been watching for an update.
I haven't tried it so I can't help there, but I will attempt this on rc1.2. I am not going to rc2 until the mods I am using are updated for it.

good luck.

tfs

Very curious.  Feeble was from Sydney, Australia, but the beta package includes Russian language files, and files with dates from only two days after Feeble's last official release (which did not have Russian language files).

Perhaps there's a Russian chess player/programmer that is updating things and back-dating the files...
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

digger

Quote from: tfs on November 11, 2009, 11:12:17 PM
Very curious.  Feeble was from Sydney, Australia, but the beta package includes Russian language files, and files with dates from only two days after Feeble's last official release (which did not have Russian language files).

Perhaps there's a Russian chess player/programmer that is updating things and back-dating the files...

2Beta was published by Feeble over one year ago - http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=225742.msg1728146#msg1728146
I have add Russian lang files into this package.

drhamza

can it be fixed to work with RC2?

TurtleKicker

Quote from: drhamza on November 12, 2009, 08:20:44 AM
can it be fixed to work with RC2?

Seconded. I love this mod and would like to migrate to SMF2 now that RC2 is out.

busterone

I can confirm that it works well on RC 1.2.  I will play with it on a test RC2 site, but I am not that good of a coder myself.  Would be nice for Feeble to return and update it himself.  :)

tfs

I'm running the SmfChess Beta-2 (linked above) under 2.0 RC2 and it's working satisfactorily.  There's a couple of visible glitches, but not much.  I've found it best to turn on the "Set Menu Bar:" to custom in the Chess Admin settings.  Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of the duplicate breadcrumbs line and it won't look bad at all.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

tfs

While it's not OK to use this mod as a base for releasing a different mod, it's OK to modify it for private use, as long as it's not distributed.  That's my understanding of it anyway, and I'd appreciate any feedback on that subject.

The story so far: Feeble released a SMF 2.x version of this mod over a year ago (As a beta), and then he disappeared.  Currently, SMFChess 2.0 Beta1 works on SMF 2.0 RC2 Curve theme, except for some visual glitches.  I don't have the expertise to fix the problems, but I'm desperate for a chess mod.  Currently I'm using it as-is, and it's not bad.

I'd like to know if there's anyone out there who's a chess player, and also a PHP programmer, who'd like to help me to update Feeble's 2.x version of SMFChess to use on our own forums?  NOT for distribution!  For use by me and you only.  My contribution would be as your alpha/beta tester.  Also I'd provide a private forum(s)/server(s) to test on, where you'd have all access EXCEPT for PHPMyAdmin, which I can't give without giving my own admin password.

Sabre™

I'm sure someone will update the mod to function as designed with smf2. I also plan to once I've had a good look through RC2.
If nobody has fixed these 'glitches' that are spoken of before I've finished, then I'll post my update here for all until/unless asked to remove it.
This mod was offered free to the public by Feeble, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind it being updated in his absence.
Although I understand your intention to 'not step on anyones feet', asking for assistance with a public/free mod for yourself and nobody else, seems ridiculous, unless you write your own from scratch.
You could always ask for somebody to create you one [PAID], but you're in the wrong section for that, look [HERE] instead.
Do NOT give admin and/or ftp details to just anybody, see if they are trust worthy first!!  Do your homework ;)

digger

Quote from: tfs on November 16, 2009, 02:46:56 AM
Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of the duplicate breadcrumbs line and it won't look bad at all.

Remove

<!-- The Linktree -->
<table width="100%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"><tr><td valign="bottom">', theme_linktree(), '</td></tr></table>

from Chess.template.php

tfs

Quote from: digger on November 19, 2009, 12:52:59 AM
Remove

<!-- The Linktree -->
<table width="100%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"><tr><td valign="bottom">', theme_linktree(), '</td></tr></table>

from Chess.template.php

Thank you so much!  It would have taken me for ever to find that.  It looks good.  To tell you the truth, this seems to run very well on SMF 2.0 RC2 with Curve.  One other thing it has an issue with is that it no longer puts a number (n) next to the "Chess" menu to indicate how many games you have where it's your move.  But it does still post a message to tell you that, which gets the job done.

drhamza

you mean if i install the beta version now, and remove the lines digger referred to, it'll work?
thanks guys

Paracelsus

Quote from: Sabre™ on November 18, 2009, 07:41:01 PM
I'm sure someone will update the mod to function as designed with smf2. I also plan to once I've had a good look through RC2.
If nobody has fixed these 'glitches' that are spoken of before I've finished, then I'll post my update here for all until/unless asked to remove it.
This mod was offered free to the public by Feeble, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind it being updated in his absence.
Although I understand your intention to 'not step on anyones feet', asking for assistance with a public/free mod for yourself and nobody else, seems ridiculous, unless you write your own from scratch.
You could always ask for somebody to create you one [PAID], but you're in the wrong section for that, look [HERE] instead.

Besides the "glitches", I believe the MOD would need an update on the "Elo rating" (many of our members have reported that it doesn't really work as supposed to)... if you're wondering on new features, I think a tournament ladder would be a nice addition. ;)

tfs

Quote from: drhamza on November 19, 2009, 01:32:48 AM
you mean if i install the beta version now, and remove the lines digger referred to, it'll work?
thanks guys

It'll work as-is.  Removing those lines just removes a duplicate link-tree, which is not a show stopper.

I was unaware of the beta version until a few days ago when Digger mentioned it in a post upthread.  Up until now I have actually installed a 1.x version of SMF in a sub-domain of my 2.0 forum "chess.subdomain.com" so that I could run some chess games.  But I was very desirous to run it on my live forum.

So, since discovering that there is a 2.x beta of SMFChess, I have since installed the chess mod on my live SMF 2.0 RC2 (Curve) forum.  The only two tweaks I've done so far is to set the "Set Menu Bar:" to "custom" in the Chess Admin settings, which makes the chess menus look better, and to remove the duplicate linktree as advised above by Digger.  It seems to be working OK, though Paracelsus indicated that there's a problem with the "Elo rating."

Another thing that doesn't work is when you login to the forum it used to say next to the "Chess" menu how many games required your attention.  Such as "Chess[2]" for a case where you have two games waiting for your move.  That no longer works.

drhamza

cool, thanks a lot :D  i've installed it and the members have already played a couple of games ;D

as already mentioned, i guess there is a problem in the top players and the "leaderboard"... which i guess paracelsus referred to it as elo, right?
and the other problem is if there were current games running, like the my messages [00] thingy

soooo, i'm not a programmer or i would have helped :(, anyhow, any idea about solving this

Advertisement: