News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMFChess

Started by feeble, February 29, 2008, 11:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petesky

The mod runs fine so far - what's your problem ?

PLAYBOY

1- It keeps freezing sometimes. both the chat and the chess.
2- We need more options.
3- You cant drag and drop on iphone. So you cant play it on your phone.
4- You cant integrate it with portals. Well actually this one is more like portals problem.

Plus we would like to see some updates and more features and stuff you know.

PLAYBOY

Plus there is no more language files.  We need language files for this mod.

tfs

Quote from: petesky on December 13, 2010, 02:40:45 AM
The mod runs fine so far - what's your problem ?

When you uninstall and reinstall, it looses the setting of whether or not people want a PM/email sent when it's their turn.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

PLAYBOY

Thas good to know... but too late :)

GJSchaller

Is there a way to get a hold of v2.1.5, since it is not linked in this thread, or on the official mod site?

Thank you!
Geoffrey J. Schaller
Knight Realms - Technical Officer
http://www.knightrealms.com/

asmith

I viewed all 35 pages, and found links like this: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=225742.msg2664727#msg2664727

They have attachment sign next to them, but the attachment is removed?
Can someone PLEASE attach the Bugo 2.1.5 unofficial version?

busterone

The attachments were removed because it violates SM policy of distributing without the mod authors's permission. The mod author has been absent for over 2 years though, so it maybe should be allowed. I have serious doubts that feeble will ever return myself.

asmith

Hopefully someone pm me then :/

Bigguy

I tried to get a hold of Feeble via my website as he is/was a member there (SMFH) but no reply. Maybe someone else could try and see if they can get a hold of him through his website.

PLAYBOY

Is there a particular reason he has been gone for 2 years?

What is SMFH?

Bigguy

SMFH = www.smfhelper.info   It was a site I had running for support for SMF. I have closed it now and moved on to my current site. You would have to ask him why he has been gone so long. I have no idea.

Arantor

*shrug* I'd love to see an updated, authorised version of this, but I guess he either got fed up maintaining it, or more likely real life got in the way. Happens to even the best-tempered of people.

Bigguy

I'd like to see it updated as well. I'm not exactly surer what the procedure is for taking over a mod but I think it would have to go in front of the BoD or team here or something...a vote taken maybe. ???

searchgr

The forum is full with abandoned mods. This is the reality ..... Up to day the smf team has done nothing except of deleting any updates that appear from time to time.
If the author is missing for more than 6 months it should be allowed to publish updates unless the topic is locked by the author.
Otherwise..... welcome to the dead mods zone.

Arantor

QuoteIf the author is missing for more than 6 months it should be allowed to publish updates unless the topic is locked by the author.

Only if the author grants permission to do so. The law grants mod authors their copyright, it is not permissible for SMF to override that, unless mods are published under a licence that allows them to be updated (e.g. BSD, LGPL), or unless the author specifically says to the team that mods can be passed on.

Alternatively, if the team amends the SMF licence with respect to mods that if a mod is left abandoned for more than a given amount of time, it can be claimed by another - but that's treading on murky ground.

The team is doing the only thing they can: enforcing the laws that sit in place. It may suck, but that's life.

Bigguy

I have registered on his site and sent him an email from there so we will see what happens after this.

tfs

The loss of this mod is tragic.  It's a good mod, and no small project.  Sooner or later an SMF update will break even the patches that someone upthread released, and this mod will go away, and the SMF using chess lovers will go away with it.  The powers that be would have better served the SMF community by continuing to pretend to ignore this thread.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Arantor

The powers that be have a duty to protect the legal interests of the mod author, too. If it were ever the case that the team stopped listening to the legal requirements, it would actually damage SMF much more than mods disappearing, and you'd get even fewer modders writing for it.

tfs

Quote from: IncognitoMuse on January 09, 2011, 10:53:46 AM
The powers that be have a duty to protect the legal interests of the mod author, too. If it were ever the case that the team stopped listening to the legal requirements, it would actually damage SMF much more than mods disappearing, and you'd get even fewer modders writing for it.

Very true, but I still say that ignoring the thread was serving the community, and Feeble.  Nobody was intent on stealing from Feeble, or taking credit for his work.  That was the last thing on anyone's mind.  Several people have tried in vain to contact him, in order to get his permission to simply keep his work from dying.  I understand that once the organization officially recognized that there was "illegal" activity going on, then it was compelled to act.  That's very clear and legally binding, and in this case... unfortunate.

Advertisement: