News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMFChess

Started by feeble, February 29, 2008, 11:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

You see, though, if they were to actively ignore a thread but police others, they would be accused of having double standards (god knows I've called the team out on that enough).

In an ideal world this would never have happened, if the submission guidelines insisted on clarifying licence terms from a mod author ahead of time, and/or asked what a mod author should do if the mod goes abandoned.

When I was part of the team, this debate came up at least once, but there is unfortunately no good solution right now, at least not one that can be carried out retroactively without asking all the original mod authors about it. Measures can be put in place to deal with this for new mod authors, of course, and mods that are larger can deal with this themselves by ensuring there is an adequately liberal licence (which is why I was quite keen that SimpleDesk should have the BSD licence it does, amongst other things)

THE BRA1N

Technically speaking, this mod is outdated and obsolete. It no longer functions or is compatible with the latest version of SMF. What is wrong with someone else drawing the previous work to develop a new functioning version of the chess mod? Or maybe independently developing a new one?

Does the fact the someone originally made a mod for SMF and at some point ceases to support it or maybe passed away mean that everyone else in the future is precluded into perpetuity from further developing a functioning, compatible version with the current SMF version? Considering how dynamic SMF is and the frequency of changes, this doesn't seem like a good policy if indeed that is the case.

It seems to me that a fair balance should be arrived at to protect mod authors and also further the development of SMF instead of stymieing it by precluding others to develop new versions of obsolete, non-functioning mods.

Arantor

QuoteIt seems to me that a fair balance should be arrived at to protect mod authors and also further the development of SMF instead of stymieing it by precluding others to develop new versions of obsolete, non-functioning mods.

There's a little thing called copyright law in the way. Unless a mod author explicitly assigns a licence to a mod's code to allow for onward development/forking, such as I did with SimpleDesk, or as SlammedDime did with his mods, copyright law trumps that, since a software licence is the only thing that allows any redistribution other than the rights explicitly granted in law.

No licence is given here, so the actual law states that no derivative work or similar can be produced. Either a completely new work has to be created, or the original author provides permission, those are the only options. Never mind what you or I might think is reasonable, and under other circumstances I'd completely agree with you - but unfortunately law transcends what our opinions might have to say.

busterone

So are you saying that if someones writes a completely new Chess mod from complete scratch, then it would be legal and accepted.?

Arantor

I don't think I ever said that was an issue...

Sure it's fine to do, provided that *any* code used is original, or has appropriate use rights (e.g. a suitable licence providing use, or appropriate permission from author has been secured)

This would be true for ANY mod, not just this one.

busterone

That is what I had thought all along myself. It is beyond my ability, but I am sure there is someone who plays the game and does have that ability around here.  :)

Arantor

Well, I probably have the ability but sadly nowhere near the time to implement it properly :( too busy with other much more time consuming projects, though the result will be worth it when it's done.

RustyBarnacle

With all that said, I'm curious about something.  db writes and reads will have to be extremely similar if not copy/paste in order to  make something compatible will they not?  Does that mean that existing data of previous games needs to be ignored and new tables created?

Just curious, not looking to start anything.

busterone

Quote from: Arantor on January 18, 2011, 04:58:46 PM
Well, I probably have the ability but sadly nowhere near the time to implement it properly :( too busy with other much more time consuming projects, though the result will be worth it when it's done.
I hope you didn't think I was insinuating that you do it, even though I am positive it is within your ability to do so. I understand time constraints all too well myself these days.  :)
It would be great if someone would create a new one for 2.0 though.

Arantor

QuoteDoes that mean that existing data of previous games needs to be ignored and new tables created?

Using the exact same *tables* is fine... provided there's a new install script to produce them. Alternatively create new tables, new install script and have a converter.

QuoteI hope you didn't think I was insinuating that you do it, even though I am positive it is within your ability to do so. I understand time constraints all too well myself these days.

No, not at all. :) It's something I once thought about doing then more recently I really just haven't had the time due to other commitments. But when they are at a stage they can be left alone for a bit, maybe a new chess mod will materialise (but I'm positive it won't be for SMF 2.0 by then)

Bigguy

I have sent a few emails and PM's Feebles way, but to date no answer at all. I have been doing this for a month now I think or maybe a bit more. I don't think he is coming back.

searchgr

This is an abandoned mod. Over.

PLAYBOY

I started getting this in my error report.

8: Undefined index: SMFChess_admin
Dosya: /home/site/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs.php
Satır: 2999

and here are the lines from subs.php

// Make sure the administrator has a valid session...
// Begin SMFChess code
if (allowedTo('chess_admin'))
{
$context['admin_areas']['SMFChess'] = array (
    'title' => $txt['SMFChess_admin'],
    'areas' => array()
    );

$context['admin_areas']['SMFChess']['areas']['chess_admin'] =  '<a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=chess_admin">' . $txt['settings'] . '</a>';
$context['admin_areas']['SMFChess']['areas']['chess_admin_maint'] =  '<a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=chess_admin_maint">' . $txt[501] . '</a>';
}
// End SMFChess code

Any ideas?

Doppler12

Quote from: PLAYBOY on January 28, 2011, 07:12:10 AM
I started getting this in my error report.

8: Undefined index: SMFChess_admin
Dosya: /home/site/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs.php
Satır: 2999

and here are the lines from subs.php

// Make sure the administrator has a valid session...
// Begin SMFChess code
if (allowedTo('chess_admin'))
{
$context['admin_areas']['SMFChess'] = array (
    'title' => $txt['SMFChess_admin'],
    'areas' => array()
    );

$context['admin_areas']['SMFChess']['areas']['chess_admin'] =  '<a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=chess_admin">' . $txt['settings'] . '</a>';
$context['admin_areas']['SMFChess']['areas']['chess_admin_maint'] =  '<a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=chess_admin_maint">' . $txt[501] . '</a>';
}
// End SMFChess code

Any ideas?

Yes actually, the error is caused by the fact there is no chess.english-utf8.php all you need to do is dulicate your chess.english.php and rename the copy chess.english-utf8.php

PLAYBOY

I just did. But still the same. I still get the same error.
I copied and renamed the english and turkish files as you said and put them in default.
Problem continuous.

Doppler12

Looking through the installer, there's a couple of files that have been changed to .english-utf8 files that you probably didn't update yourself

Here's a updater attached you can either look through and do manually or use it as a package.

eyo

ugh nothing tilts me more than seeing great abandoned mods get bumped only to see no updated versions

PLAYBOY

Quote from: Doppler12 on February 07, 2011, 02:01:15 PM
Looking through the installer, there's a couple of files that have been changed to .english-utf8 files that you probably didn't update yourself

Here's a updater attached you can either look through and do manually or use it as a package.

I still get the same error report.

Quote from: eyo on February 07, 2011, 07:30:25 PM
ugh nothing tilts me more than seeing great abandoned mods get bumped only to see no updated versions

Same here man. Same here.

Arantor

Quote from: eyo on February 07, 2011, 07:30:25 PM

Here's the thing. Authors write something, they move on. Nowhere does it say they're expected to continue developing it past the point at which it works for them satisfactorily.

People tend to forget that mod authors do so out of their free time, and that it's a hobby for them - and no-one has the right to demand or expect them to pursue their hobby in any way other than how they want. I don't know what hobbies you have, but imagine that you made something as a hobby, then you have others asking you to keep working on it for their benefit, even though you made it and you're happy with it how it is.

WhiteEagle

I would like to see this mod updated for 2.0 RC5 please.
I fold for team 52482. Do you Fold@Home?
SMF powered sites: Leet Link LeetSpace.com

Advertisement: