News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

YabbSE: Dump Database times out

Started by orange, October 18, 2003, 04:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orange

This is probably a PHP or SQL issue rather than YSE specific, but here we go:

I went into the Admin control panel in order to back up my forum. I clicked the "Dump database" link, then "structure and data".

It started to send me the file, which was fine - but after about 5 minutes the download cut off. (I'd received about 20 MB of the 60 MB database).

I tried again a few times, but it kept cutting me off at about the same time. I adjusted the "set_time_limit" in dump_database.php to 100000 but the same problem happened.

So, I asked my web host - apparently they have a server setting to terminate scripts after 300 seconds and they won't increase it.

So, what's the best way to back up the database? Is there a utility which will dump say 1000 rows at a time, and you could run the script multiple times until it had exported the whole thing? Any experiences?

bostasp

if you have shell access, or access to cronjobs, then you can do it via mysqldump:

mysqldump -u<username> -p<password> <database> > database.sql

and then just download that via ftp

Peter Duggan

Quote from: orange on October 18, 2003, 04:02:42 PM
This is probably a PHP or SQL issue rather than YSE specific

It is but, if it wasn't, YaBB SE support is still alive and well. There's a detailed FAQ on saving and restoring the database data at http://www.yabbse.org/community/index.php?thread=15902 and every support board except the FAQ is still open for further questions!

Advertisement: