What is planned for SMF 1.1?

Started by klumy, December 30, 2004, 07:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trekkie101

The URL for 1.1 demo wouldnt happen to be lying around would it? LOL

200KB wow cool, but im happy with 1 as it is. But will upgrade when 1.1 comes out ofcourse.

Jerry

Or you could wait and save the suspense?!? ;)

- Jerry
Find me on:
Facebook
Twitter
PlanetSMF

"If all you look for is the negative in things, you will never see the positive."

klumy

When has the development of 1.1 beta started?
Directly after christmas 2004?

Peter Duggan

Way before! But over-eager anticipation of new versions (which I'm not accusing anyone in this topic of) when the current one's just out always strikes me as counter-productive, so I hope we're not off on a new round of 'are we nearly there yet?' ;)

Trekkie101

Quote from: Peter Duggan on January 04, 2005, 10:29:36 AM
Way before! But over-eager anticipation of new versions (which I'm not accusing anyone in this topic of) when the current one's just out always strikes me as counter-productive, so I hope we're not off on a new round of 'are we nearly there yet?' ;)

Peter im glad someone said it before i did this topic appeared either the day of 1 or the day after which to me was  bit fast as 1.1 may be aslong as 5 months or so away. I bit doubtful 5 months but there is no need to rush.

TarantinoArchives

Quote from: Daniel D. on January 03, 2005, 06:05:29 PM
Should I post the changelog for 1.1? ;D :P

*shoves a 100 dollar bill over to him *

*hushing* email me

:-)

Daniel D.

Quote from: TarantinoArchives on January 04, 2005, 11:33:09 AM
Quote from: Daniel D. on January 03, 2005, 06:05:29 PM
Should I post the changelog for 1.1? ;D :P

*shoves a 100 dollar bill over to him *

*hushing* email me

:-)
Hahaha, great!! :D

Grudge

Bear in mind that although 1.0 won't take as long to come out as the original 1.0 it will still need to go through the standard Beta testing process. 1.0 had four private Charter Member beta tests before it even hit public beta, where it went through another two, then two RCs, then a final Charter Member preview. As 1.1 isn't even being tested team wide yet there is a long way to go ;)
I'm only a half geek really...

Trekkie101

This is how it seams to work from me looking at it

A Release is made
The "+" symbol goes on this site  - 2 Weeks
Lots of posting - 2 Weeks
Charter Members Get Beta - 3 Weeks
More time passes - 2 weeks
Features are denied because new release is soon - 1 week
RELEASE

So thats a total of 10 Weeks which is 2 months and two weeks, which is close to a 6th of a year.

So releases are about 2 months apart from what ive seen so far but since SMF is still quite new it may not be accurate. Also i must add not to go by this seriously as this is only an opinion by me.  ;)

Peter Duggan

Quote from: Grudge on January 04, 2005, 12:23:58 PM
although 1.0 won't take as long to come out as the original 1.0

That's really quite funny, Grudge! ;)

Quote from: Trekkie101 on January 04, 2005, 12:44:56 PM
So releases are about 2 months apart from what ive seen so far but since SMF is still quite new it may not be accurate. Also i must add not to go by this seriously as this is only an opinion by me. ;)

Since releases are made when they're 'ready', I'll try to remember not to take this seriously! :)

Grudge

To me the biggest change that SMF 1.1 will have is the "shift" away from SMF being "new" software. Most people will still continue to run SMF 1.0 whilst SMF 1.1 goes through private and public betas and RCs. It won't be necessary for people to risk running Beta software anymore as 1.0 is stable and perfectly good. People who do run public betas etc will of course be welcome and supported - but these people are more likely to be those desperate for the new functionality and/or just someone who likes to play with the latest toys - like me :D

Also, Trekkie, your guess at the development cycle is miles off. SMF 1.1 is not just another release, it's the next version so will go through the full cycle of Beta -> RC -> Final, each taking some time ;)

Tristan Perry

Quote from: Grudge on January 04, 2005, 01:30:32 PM
Also, Trekkie, your guess at the development cycle is miles off. SMF 1.1 is not just another release, it's the next version so will go through the full cycle of Beta -> RC -> Final, each taking some time ;)
I was under the impression that the only versions that go through the whole cycle are whole versions? (1.0, 2.0, and lots of other numbers ending with '.0' !) Won't this mean that it'll take ages for SMF 2.0 to come out? (I'm speaking hypothetically, I'm not waiting for 2.0, nor am I asking when it's out, what features it'll have etc!) If you had to do the: Beta >> RC>> Final with each part, would it go something like:

1.0 (Now)
1.1 Beta 1
1.1 Beta 2
1.1 Beta 3
1.1 Beta 4
1.1 Beta 5/RC1
1.1 RC2
1.1 Final
1.2 Beta 1
1.2 Beta 2
1.2 Beta 3
1.2 Beta 4
1.2 RC1
1.2 RC2
1.2 Final
1.3 Beta 1

etc? Or will the SMF development line be messed up and go like:

SMF: 1.0 >> 1.1 >> 2.0 ?  :P

Daniel D.

Tristan Perry

Quote from: Daniel D. on January 04, 2005, 01:52:35 PM
Wait and see...
Bah!  :P Although I wasn't asking exactly what's going to happen, I'm simply wondering will SMF be doing the huge cycle every time they add a dot and then a number to the current version?

klumy

ui.... seems to be a very looooooong road to the Final version

diplomat.

avidSOUND.com: Where Aspiring Musicians Can Be HEARD!

Peter Duggan

Quote from: Tau Online on January 04, 2005, 01:54:17 PM
Quote from: Daniel D. on January 04, 2005, 01:52:35 PM
Wait and see...
Bah!  :P Although I wasn't asking exactly what's going to happen, I'm simply wondering will SMF be doing the huge cycle every time they add a dot and then a number to the current version?

Not necessarily, because, although several Beta and RC versions may be required, the number released should be determined by whether they're necessary and not whether they fit a fixed profile.

Quote from: Diplomat on January 04, 2005, 01:59:39 PM
heh, im still soaking in 1.0 ;)

And that's probably the most sensible comment I've seen here! :)

Grudge

It has always been my understanding that a huge version jump (1.0 -> 2.0), should be saved for a complete rewrite (Or something equally huge). 1.1 will be more than a handful of extra lines of code, so will certainly be more than a straight forward step. I'm not saying it will take a year to become final - I'm not giving any timelines. I just suggest that Trekkies suggestion that it would go from beta to final in 10 weeks is miles off - unless [Unknown] has other plans :D

Tristan Perry

Quote from: Grudge on January 04, 2005, 02:27:51 PM
It has always been my understanding that a huge version jump (1.0 -> 2.0), should be saved for a complete rewrite (Or something equally huge). 1.1 will be more than a handful of extra lines of code, so will certainly be more than a straight forward step. I'm not saying it will take a year to become final - I'm not giving any timelines. I just suggest that Trekkies suggestion that it would go from beta to final in 10 weeks is miles off - unless [Unknown] has other plans :D
Ahhhh! I've a lot to learn about planning making software. I always though a jump like 1.0 >> 1.1 was simply a few changes here and there, and a change like 1.0 >> 2.0 was a big change, not a complete re-write of code, but simply a few big changes.

Grudge

Well - that's my understanding - but others may disagree. I'm not saying that 1.1 has to have MAJOR changes - just that it's probably more than just a couple of tweaks here and there - and hence requires a fair amount of testing.

Advertisement: